Thread: Vonage-Skype-VOIP phone services

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan23
    Hi Dog,

In the Skype window, you will have several "tabs" that run near the top (Contacts, Call Phone, Live, History, etc. Click on "CALL PHONES", this will provide you with a numeric keypad. You can use the mouse on it, or I have found that once I click in the window - the numeric keys on my computer keyboard always work.

If you need more info - pm me.

Alan
    Much thanks Alan. Muy amable. I'll check it out and PM you if I can't figure it out.

Hi Dog,

In the Skype window, you will have several "tabs" that run near the top (Contacts, Call Phone, Live, History, etc. Click on "CALL PHONES", this will provide you with a numeric keypad. You can use the mouse on it, or I have found that once I click in the window - the numeric keys on my computer keyboard always work.

If you need more info - pm me.

Alan

Here's a question for Skype users: Is there a way to navigate through a recording that asks you to press certain numbers, so that you can be directed to the right person? For example, when calling LAN, you get a recording with a set of numbers to push for reservations, flight info etc. Without the normal telephone "keypad" this is impossible and you can lose the call. Interestingly, every now and then I have pushed the number on my PC's keypad and it has worked, though not today. I've never read anything about this issue. Any magic out there?

MagicJack. Com

This is a new device that is a Skype / Vonage killer. For about 40 bucks you get one year unlimited service and the USB device.

I've used this last month on several calls from Europe to US clarity is great and connection is immediate.

Good luck. I have Vonage in my apartment in BA and will replace with MJ.

I do not know if this applies (I have Vonage and never used Skype) but Fibertel -the largest internet cable provider here, upgrading their servers in Sep and thru Oct. I had a few issues while this had been going on but my service was upgraded last week.

They upped all feeds (1mg to 2mg, 2 meg to 4 meg, etc) for the current price.

It has been reported in the trades that they are having some problems with a couple of recent versions.

I've experience mixed results over the last couple of weeks. Some calls are perfect (Skype in BA to US cell) while others have had delays and echos. No drops.

I have been calling Argentina on skype for a few weeks with no problems other than my craptastic spanish.

Skype issues

After nearly two years with Skype, and very good service, I have noticed an increase in dropped calls and fuzzy connection over the past 2-3 weeks. Any confirmation of that with others? I see today that their CEO is being replaced.

Correct. It does not matter where you are calling from. Only where you are calling to.

Hello Skype question

I have a question for Skype Users. This may be a dumb question, but I will ask anyway. I have signed up for the unlimited US Calling. I will be in BA and Southern Brasil soon and I have the following question.

If I log onto Skype down there, I assume it will be free for me to call the US. Is that correct? Thanks.

Dwayne

Vonage "does not care" if it is running over a cable or (A) DSL connection.

I am running similar services over a variety of links, including cable and ADSL. (Even WiFi)

Just bad luck from your end I think. Sometimes it will not work when you get a modem from the provider which already has a router with VoIP function built in. (But even then there are ways around it)

Another vonage user here. The apt I stay at has adsl as well as a cable connection. My choice. I've found that Vonage won't work with the adsl but is great with the cable connection. Maybe the problem is just with this apt. Maybe it's a Telecom / Telefonca lockout and is true around the city. Anybody use Vonage with adsl connection with success?

Quote Originally Posted by TangoManiac
    So I'd like to know a bit more of the technical information related to the feasibility of bringing these in. I see a lot of apartments (such as jackson) that have these.

If I have a vonage box, will it work if I plug it in directly from the ADSL modem? In the US most routers use the RJ45 cable but for some reason I remember seeing it run by USB or a different cable when I was in Argie.

Do you have to pay extra fees to run the vonage box from argentina instead of US?

Can you carry around the vonage box and use it at a locutorio?

And one last question: It seemed that in most buildings that wifi was not possible becuase of the DSL. The IP had to be registered with the company, as so that the connection wasn't shared with the whole building. Am I right on this? I"d like to bring my voip line with me instead of having to rely on Skype (which does work great as all you need to carry with you is a cheap headset. The locutorios have these anyway)

Thanks for the help and correct me where I"m wrong on how this works there.

TM
    I have Vonage and I have used it at several apartments with high speed cable internet. All the modems I have seen in BsAs have used the RJ45 connection; I have never seen USB used here. I also carry a small Linksys travel router so I can have Wireless in the apartment; I have not had any problems. Just make sure your unit is dual voltage or you have a transformer.

You do not pay extra for using your Vonage from AR.

I have also used Skype but have had problems with dropped calls.

Retired Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangoManiac
    So I'd like to know a bit more of the technical information related to the feasibility of bringing these in. I see a lot of apartments (such as jackson) that have these.

If I have a vonage box, will it work if I plug it in directly from the ADSL modem? In the US most routers use the RJ45 cable but for some reason I remember seeing it run by USB or a different cable when I was in Argie.

Do you have to pay extra fees to run the vonage box from argentina instead of US?

And one last question: It seemed that in most buildings that wifi was not possible becuase of the DSL. The IP had to be registered with the company, as so that the connection wasn't shared with the whole building. Am I right on this? I"d like to bring my voip line with me instead of having to rely on Skype (which does work great as all you need to carry with you is a cheap headset. The locutorios have these anyway)

TM
    I bring my Vonage with me, all I need is a high speed internet connection. Its quite handy, just like sitting in my office. The Vonage doesn't know its in South America, so all calls to the USA are free, most calls I don't even need an area code.

Exon

Technical issues with bringing Vonage / Packet8 (8X8) VOIP phones into argentina

TM

Posting Limitations