Thread: Vonage-Skype-VOIP phone services

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    I used MSN Messenger to conduct a voice conversation with someone I normally use Skype with, and that worked pretty well.

The skype service never went down, but ability to login with their client did. Which could equate to the same thing for some, but I use skype-in as much as skype-out, so during the Thurs / Fri that it was really bad, and part of Saturday afternoon until it was fixed - the net result was:

-launching the skype client to try and login / connect would sit on "connecting" - sometimes for 30min to hours. Once you connected any call you made out or got in stayed connected until you dropped the line, at which point it was hit / miss with "connecting" to try login again.

-during the entire time, skype-in would still work to receive calls to either your voicemail, or if you had one or more landline / mobile numbers configured as forwards if you didnt pickup your skype line. So I just had all my calls routed to my cell or landline - someone would ring my USA number, and it would forward at just over 2cents a minute to my argentina number (and if that didnt answer, then my argentina cell - which ended up being a lot more than 2c a min but still pretty reasonable compared to traditional international forwards via regular telecom rates)

-not having reliable skype out was annoying because of the sometimes hours wait to connect / login, but anyone who wasnt prepared with a backup probably learned through this it's a good idea to have one. I use skype mainly but always keep two backups with a small amount of credit with net2phone and callserve - same skype model, higher rates but like skype you just buy the credit once and have a pretty long time to use it before it expires.

What really got me was reading some forums where some skype users were moaning and groaning about how their world had ended and because they had no skype, they were completely incommunicado as they had no other phone service.

Why they didnt just spend $5 to 25 with any of the numerous other VOIP skype-alternative providers I don't know. Two minutes to sign up with a new one, even if a temporary one until skype came back up and then just keep it as an insurance backup.

Skype to BA Cell

Actually it is like this:

Assume Cell # is.

15-4444-6666

From Skype you do:

+54-9-11-4444-6666

The 9 replaces the 15, the 54 is country code, the 11 is city code.

It will cost you a lot more though to call a cell in Argentina via Skype, something like 0.17 Euros / min vs 0.017 Euros / min on a fixed line, still good.

Try this sequence when calling BA cell phones on skype:

+54915xxxxxxx

Yahoo Messenger Great except Argentina Cel Phones

I used Yahoo Messenger (with call out option) last May in Buenos Aires and it was great for calling back to the states, cellular or land lines.

It was also good for calling Argentina phones, but land lines only. I could not figure out how to dial Argentina Cel phones.

I chose it over Skype since I already had a Yahoo account.

Anyone figure out how to call Argentine cel phones on Skype?

You can also use skype in locutorios. Buenos Aires is blessed with very fast internet. Lots of them already have it installed on the machines or you can install it yourself. They usually have nice headphones as well.

I just would be careful typing your credit card onto the website while using a public terminal. YOu never know what kind of trojan horses are on those machines.

Skype is awesome no matter where you are travelling as long as you can find a place with broadband internet. At 2 cents a minute it beats those damn calling cards

Administrator

Venues: 398

Please search first, then post questions.

Hi Sid,

Did you do a search of the forum's databasse before you posted this question?

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=2171

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    Does anyone living or visiting AR use these computer based, long distance telephone services? Any problems?
    Sid,

I have been using Skype since I moved to BA. Cheap and no problems. There is a slight "delay" at times. 2 cents a minute. The techheads can tell you more about it, but it's been fine for me.

Thanks. I wonder if we are gonna have to put up with that inconvenience indefinitely. You would think since Ebay bought Skype they would be looking into making things a bit more user friendly. Thinking out loud.

FYI on Skype. Top up your account with all the skype out credit you think you will need before you come to BA as once you get to any part of south america, you won't be able to do automatic credit card processing to get instant additional skype out credit.

Skype does an auto detect of what region of the world you are logging in from, so if you're down in BA and logging into your skype account, you won't be given the option to do a credit card charge to add $10 euros to your skype out balance - only a bank transfer which takes days and a online payment provider system which I'd rather not join.

Only option if you're down here already is to have someone back home log into your account, and using your cc / address process the charge for you.

Mpexy,

With all due respect, what does Skype have to do with the subject of this thread, which is titled "Package Delivery".

Thanks,

Jackson

[EDIT - answer: In hindsight, you're right. It's off topic. Apologies. However, also with respect, I suppose I was just answering the Skype pointer raised by Doggboy. And also with respect, if this is off topic, how much more so when someone like Roxanne who I'm sure is a fine person, posts basically an ad for her services on the recent My Place Realestate thread which if we're all to be on topic is specific to informing people of their experiences with that company. I didn't mind when I saw her post, didn't post a reminder to be on topic to Roxanne as for one, I don't know her, but everything I've heard is good, and two - she provides a service which is valuable. But as politely as can be said, if we're off topic here when at least some argument could be made that use of VOIP or Skype might be able to have important info relayed via voice rather than sending down a contract or other paper copy via FedEx, how much more so for mild replies such as Roxannes taking over a competitors apartment services review thread all the way to the flame replies whose only content and purpose is to verbally abuse someone? I don't have a problem with cracking down on off-topic replies, but while you're doing so, I'd voice the opinion that while you're at it, be consistent and at least rid the board of the truly off-topic posts]

Smile Skype

I got my Skype OUT up and running. Fantastic service!02 cents a minute for calls to the states. I set up my account for the OUT service before moving to BA. I am having some issues setting up Skype IN from BA, and may have to have someone help me with that who is living in the states. All in all a bargain, and for anyone making regular calls to the states, this, or something similar is a must.

Doggboy,

With all due respect, what does Skype have to do with the subject of this thread, which is titled "Package Delivery".

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    Skype is ab fab, second to none. There is nothing like having a local phone number where ever you are, as long as you have a computer with a broadband connection. I have been using it for almost a year and extremely satisfied. For example, I take my laptop with me to a cafe with WiFi and do my phone calls on Skype whilehaving breakfast, or when I am on a trip, I go to an internet cafe and just log onto skype and make my calls while checking my emails, never ever deal with those outrages hotel rates (phone) nor try to find a calling card and a payphone. Highly reccomend it. It is a must have.

Hope this helps.

PS: You don't actually need to sit by the computer to talk on Skype since there are compatible cordless phones or bluetooth earphones.
    Another product similar to Skype is Gizmo Project. I use both as I like certain aspects of Gizmo Project better but find that Skype calls are clearer in Argentina. Both are "pre-pay" services so you don't have to use one exclusively. Gizmo is 1/2 the price calling the US but the difference is 1 cent / minute vs 2 cents / minute so it doesn't really matter.

There are Internet "political" reasons to prefer Gizmo but most people couldn't care less that Gizmo uses open protocols while Skype is proprietary.

There are things happening with the FCC that are likely to spell the end of Skype, Gizmo, Vonage, and all the other VoIP carriers in the US as alternatives to the regular phone companies anyway except for computer-to-computer calls. The FCC is moving towards requiring any service that connects to the regular phone network (incoming or outgoing) to comply with both E911 and wiretaps rules. Both requirements are likely to be impossible for most VoIP companies to meet. You might have seen the notice on the Skype home page that says "Skype is not a telephony replacement service and cannot be used for emergency dialing." but that's just buying a little bit of time. Skype is the only player with pockets deep enough to effectively lobby the issue in Washington but it's not clear the issue fits with eBay's strategic vision for Skype.

Thumbs up Skype

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out the efax prospects. I hear some folks are using Skype down here for phone service abroad as well. Nice to have that local area code back in the states while you answer down here.
    Skype is ab fab, second to none. There is nothing like having a local phone number where ever you are, as long as you have a computer with a broadband connection. I have been using it for almost a year and extremely satisfied. For example, I take my laptop with me to a cafe with WiFi and do my phone calls on Skype whilehaving breakfast, or when I am on a trip, I go to an internet cafe and just log onto skype and make my calls while checking my emails, never ever deal with those outrages hotel rates (phone) nor try to find a calling card and a payphone. Highly reccomend it. It is a must have.

Hope this helps.

PS: You don't actually need to sit by the computer to talk on Skype since there are compatible cordless phones or bluetooth earphones.

Vonage Experience

If I've done it correctly here's a link http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...797#post352797 to my Vonage experience which I posted today in another thread.

Bob

Vonnage for sale

I'm coming down in January and will have an adaptor I won't be using anymore. If anybodys interested pm me.

Posting Limitations