Thread: Vonage-Skype-VOIP phone services

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Punter127

Here is the link, http://www.skype.com/store/accessories/, you can find handsets there, sound quality is shockingly perfect, but it all depends on your connection speed (so does vonage) another thing is that you can forwrd any incoming calls to any number you want, for example; you are heading down to Patagonia or up to Brazil or going downunder for a short visit, you don't even need to have a computer with you, and you still can receive calls just by forwarding to a number wherever you are (cell or a landline) and you will be charged at very competitive rates which you can find on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Punter 127
    I agree use both, and for the hotel Skype is a better choice, as most hotels are now wireless, and Vonage requires wired service. They do offer a wireless deal for $10 more a month, which is too much and still requires head phone and mic, which I hate. I would like to know more about how to make a handset work with Skype.
    http://www.skype.com/store/accessories/

http://www.actiontec.com/products/co..._usb/index.php

They struck me as more trouble than they are worth but that's because a headset doesn't bother me and I use a traditional phone line at home.

There is nothing about Vonage that makes it incompatible with wireless networks. It all depends on the situation. For example, at home I have a wireless network but plugged my VOIP adaptor into the router in my computer room and used a wireless phone with it. But I could have plugged the VOIP adaptor into a wireless "game" adaptor and used it with a wired phone in any room in my house.

The issue with wireless on the road is that it might need a browser-based login to work. But you can have the same problem with a wired connection.

Checkmark EasyGo

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Go
    VOIP is just a generic term for Voice over IP so it applies to Skype as well as Vonage. There are ways to make handsets work with Skype and it doesn't interfer with using your computer for anything else. The quality with Skype can vary pretty wildly. But it is really, really cheap. 2 cents per minute to most phones, no monthly fee (for outgoing calls) and Skype to Skype calls are free. Skype is better for people that are moving around as it is much easier to get your computer connected to a broadband connection than hooking up a Vonage router (routers are pretty much useless with connections that require any authentication like in hotels)

You don't need to choose. Use both!
    I agree use both, and for the hotel Skype is a better choice, as most hotels are now wireless, and Vonage requires wired service. They do offer a wireless deal for $10 more a month, which is too much and still requires head phone and mic, which I hate. I would like to know more about how to make a handset work with Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Punter 127
    I'm in BsAs now and using my Vonage for the 1st time, its working great. I bought the Linksys model PAP2 modem at Best Buy, it was free after the rebate, and it also has a dual voltage input so you don't need a transformer, only a plug adapter.

I don't think Skype is VOIP? With Vonage you use a normal telephone not head phones, and it does not tie up your computer, you can be on the computer and the phone at the same time. Skype is much cheaper, but the service is not the same quality, I have had calls from the USA on Vonage and the callers could not tell I was not at home.
    VOIP is just a generic term for Voice over IP so it applies to Skype as well as Vonage. There are ways to make handsets work with Skype and it doesn't interfer with using your computer for anything else. The quality with Skype can vary pretty wildly. But it is really, really cheap. 2 cents per minute to most phones, no monthly fee (for outgoing calls) and Skype to Skype calls are free. Skype is better for people that are moving around as it is much easier to get your computer connected to a broadband connection than hooking up a Vonage router (routers are pretty much useless with connections that require any authentication like in hotels)

You don't need to choose. Use both!

Thumbs up Vonage

I'm in BsAs now and using my Vonage for the 1st time, its working great. I bought the Linksys model PAP2 modem at Best Buy, it was free after the rebate, and it also has a dual voltage input so you don't need a transformer, only a plug adapter.

I don't think Skype is VOIP? with Vonage you use a normal telephone not head phones, and it does not tie up your computer, you can be on the computer and the phone at the same time. Skype is much cheaper, but the service is not the same quality, I have had calls from the USA on Vonage and the callers could not tell I was not at home.

another VOIP service

I just found that out and thought some other people may benefit from that if the case is having a local US, Uk, german numbers while travelling. Skype has a relatively new service called SkypeIn and without any need for any device but just a pc and a headset, you can receive calls on your local US, UK, German (some more) numbers. It is $35 for a year and $12 for 3 months, it comes with a free voice mail and also you can forward incoming calls to any numbers.

Thanks

Vonage equipment in BsAs

All you need to bring with you is the Vonage modem and adapt it to work on 220v which can be done here - see note on electrical shop on Riobamba. There are many phones available here and they're like any phone - just plug your phone line from the Vonage modem into the phone, start dialing.

Thumbs up Electrical repairs, adapters and salvaging fried equipment

On Riobamba between Arenales and Santa Fe, but just a few doors down from Arenales on the left is a small shop with phones and what not in the windows. If you see Sentirte's sandwich board sign, a little breakfast place, you're next door.

Operated by a nice young girl and her mother, their technician has managed to fix every fried or disfunctional electrical problem I've brought in, including a new Vonage modem that I brought down and fried on the first plug-in. It might take them a day or two to get the diode or plug but they do it and modest cost. Speak spanish only but rarely an obstacle, they know their business.

Thank you Thomaso. But I am not sure what you mean by "the system". Do you mean just the phone adapter or the phone adapter AND the phone? I anticipate bringing a lot of crap, so I don't want to bring anything I can buy there.

Thanks, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    Use Fibertel CableModem here in BA, 1Meg, no DSL available that I am aware of, buy the system in USA, have a friend bring it down, use a voltage power converter (buy it here they are alot cheaper) otherwise simply plug in phone line and cable modem. No software, CD's, etc needed.

Fried another Phone Adapter

I am an idiot, I fired another vonage phone adapter, I brought another one for back up, but the quality is not there. Does anyone know of a place where I can get my device repaired.

Use Fibertel CableModem here in BA, 1Meg, no DSL available that I am aware of, buy the system in USA, have a friend bring it down, use a voltage power converter (buy it here they are alot cheaper) otherwise simply plug in phone line and cable modem. No software, CD's, etc needed.

DSL vs. Cable, and Logistics

Does VOIP work better with a Cable modem? Is cable internet even available in BA, or just DSL?

Are you guys using Vonage buying the pieces there, or did you bring the components from the US? I'm concerned, e. G. That a Vonage Phone Adapter purchased here in the US might not interface properly with a phone purchased in BA.

I know that a Vonage Phone Adapter purchased here in the US won't come with a voltage adapter for BA current, but I also know that I can find a voltage adapter here that will.

Thanks,

Bob

I have had Vonage for several weeks now. Quite simply, it has been great for my needs.

Thumbs down Lingo

Well guys this is my first message I discovered your forum by chance as I was trying to find some info about Cordoba, buy the way any contact for serious real estate agent?

About Lingo: I did try it in USA and I cancelled after a few months, first it's very complicated to set up, I had to be on the phone with them for hours, and then I constantly had lost connection etcc. Etcc. Well I don't know if it is a one bad experience only but I couldn't recomenend it.

Hello to all of you.

Question Vonage vs. Lingo

I currently have Vonage like many of you, however I recently discovered Lingo. Has anyone tried Lingo VoIP phone service? Here are some of the differences I see in favor of Lingo. The price of unlimited service for Vonage is you$S 24.95, Lingo is $US 19.95. Another advantage to Lingo is you can get a second number for $US 5.00 which can be an argentine number, or several other countries. (Both numbers ring the same phone) Vonage does not offer argentine numbers. This means I could get the same unlimited service I have with Vonage plus a local argentine number for the same money from lingo. Com. So calls placed in Argentina to the second number are local calls, and can be answered any place in the world, that you hook up to high speed internet. By the way Lingo is already offering free Western Europe calling in their package, Vonage does not. I'm thinking of changing service, so I would appreciate any input.

Since Lingo is offering Argentine phone numbers, VoIP laws must not be a problem.

Punter 127

Posting Limitations