Thread: Vonage-Skype-VOIP phone services

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

laptop vonage

My buddy spent 2 months in EZE and bought a vonnage adaptor that worked in his laptop. No power problems and good communications. Sometimes it would sound a little off but no problem. I'm pretty sure my adaptor that I use in the states takes both 110/60 and 220/50. I don't feel like crawling under the table and looking though. Maybe if there was some pussy under there I would but alas this is not the case.

Looks like they encourage international use - CAUTION

I sent them a note on this subject and here is the response I got.

"Our service and the phone adapter will MOST LIKELY work in other countries. The phone adapter that we provide (Linksys RTP300) OPERATES ON 110-120 VOLTS ONLY. We advise you to check the local VoIP laws of the country that you are using it in as some countries regulate the use of VoIP. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the quality of service due to the long latency between your local ISP provider and our service in the United States." I capitalized some of the text for emphasis.

Incidentally, I looked on the Linksys web site but could not find the RTP300.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulr Travlr
    The following is from the Vonage site.

"Take It On the Road.

Your Free Phone Adapter makes a great travel companion. You can use it anywhere in the world where you have a high-speed Internet connection. Bring it anywhere overseas and you won't pay international dialing rates when you call back home. The same is true when you travel to other area codes in the US for both business and residential Vonage accounts.

For example, let's say that you live in Chicago and bring your Free Phone Adapter on a trip to Hong Kong. With Vonage you can call your next-door neighbor from Hong Kong and it's priced like a local domestic call. This is also true when your neighbor calls you. So it's very convenient for people dialing you, and it's extra easy on your wallet too."

Hope this helps.

Traveler

Looks like they encourage international use

The following is from the Vonage site.

"Take It On the Road.

Your Free Phone Adapter makes a great travel companion. You can use it anywhere in the world where you have a high-speed Internet connection. Bring it anywhere overseas and you won't pay international dialing rates when you call back home. The same is true when you travel to other area codes in the US for both business and residential Vonage accounts.

For example, let's say that you live in Chicago and bring your Free Phone Adapter on a trip to Hong Kong. With Vonage you can call your next-door neighbor from Hong Kong and it's priced like a local domestic call. This is also true when your neighbor calls you. So it's very convenient for people dialing you, and it's extra easy on your wallet too."

Hope this helps.

Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    Thanks all for the information. Called my brother today in USA to have him order one for me.
    One thing to remember is that they offer big referral bonuses to sign up. If you check on eBay, you can get the unit for free, plus the person who signs you up will kick back $10-$20 I think.

There is also a cancellation fee if you keep it over a certain amount of days (15 or 30, I think) Make sure it's going to work well for you.

Thanks all for the information. Called my brother today in USA to have him order one for me.

Yep. Those posts are correct. I have used Vonage a while now. I have it in my house, my office and about 20 of my apartments. No issues other than the same issues as Jackson (once burned out the unit due to someone accidentally plugging it in to the 220 v current here) It works fine. Sometimes there is static when it rains here. Also, if you are downloading heavy files. The 1 MB from Fibertel works fine with it. The 2 MB is amazing and never any problems. IPlan also has a good 2 MB that Vonage works excellent with.

Vonage does have the right to cancel if you are outside of the USA but as the previous poster correctly posted. They just want a USA address to bill things to.

Also, make sure if you haven't done so lately you log in and acknowledge the 911 activation as they will cancel your account by Monday, August 29 due to the FCC forcing them to.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050825/..._phones_e911_8

Good luck all.

Saint

I was in BA for the past 2 days and Vonage worked better in BA than in NYC. Although I get more upload with Time Warner, there seems to be less packet loss which gave me better QoS. As far as the cancellation, I tell them that I am overseas, they never mentioned a thing about it being an issue. I think all that they care about is you have an address in the states that they can bill.

Vonage reviews

I know two guys here in BA with Vonage and they say it works fine. I did a webserach and saw some problems in reviews by users. As well, in the service agreement they state they can cancel if the system is used outside of USA.

Anyone here have any problems with service, connection, cancellation? Most of the negative reviews related to switching hard line phone numbers in USA to Vonage and problems with cancelling service.

I am thinking of getting one via a relative in the States and having it brought down soon. Thanks

Hi Thomaso276,

I've got two Vonage phones here in BA. Other than burning out the diode like Metkim did (I accidentially reversed the polarity of the transformer), it's been great. I don't know about being canceled if you use it outside the USA, but it's never been an issue for me or anybody else I know who is using the system.

Thanks,

Jackson

I just received a new Vonage "black box" myself, plugged it in to find that the transformer is not 120-240 V, it was only 120. Bad aromas coming out of new box. Something fried.

Took it to a little repair shop on Riobamba just off of Arenales. Riobamba 1181. Callao Service it's called.

For 40 pesos they're replacing a diode that burned.

Recommended, they've fixed things well in the past.

Vonage-Skype-VOIP phone services

Hi There,

My vonage adapter is fried and I can't find a store that has one, does anyone know of a place for me to get this along with a universal adapter for my other things that need to be charged. My transformer poped also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Metkim,

La Casa del Transformador
    Parana 220

If they don't have the exact combination of converter voltage / amperage / plug that you need, they will make one for you on the spot.

Jackson

Posting Limitations