Thread: Bars in general

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Dickhead

The Kilkenny

Was there on Friday night for a while, around 2-3am, atmosphere was dead as a doornail. I thought I was back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Esten
    In San Telmo, the address is Defensa 695. It's on a corner between Chile and Mexico.

Very interesting place, low lighting, lots of older wooden furnishings. Warm and cozy atmosphere. Two levels with the second level only on one side and offering a good view of the scene below. Busy when I was there though not completely packed. Younger to middle age crowd. Mainly a bar but with a limited lunch / dinner menu as well. I had the bife for 22 pesos and a salad for 18 pesos. Good music. I heard The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Police, U2 and some jazz.

It is one of several "Bar Notable" designated by the city of Buenos Aires for its historical and cultural significance. According to one website it was converted into a bar from a nineteenth-century pharmacy.
    Yeah, I like this place as it's just around the corner from me, relaxed and a wide range of ages. They have live music from time to time.

Bar Seddon

In San Telmo, the address is Defensa 695. It's on a corner between Chile and Mexico.

Very interesting place, low lighting, lots of older wooden furnishings. Warm and cozy atmosphere. Two levels with the second level only on one side and offering a good view of the scene below. Busy when I was there though not completely packed. Younger to middle age crowd. Mainly a bar but with a limited lunch / dinner menu as well. I had the bife for 22 pesos and a salad for 18 pesos. Good music... I heard The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Police, U2 and some jazz.

It is one of several "Bar Notable" designated by the city of Buenos Aires for its historical and cultural significance. According to one website it was converted into a bar from a nineteenth-century pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    I was there with a gf at 1am, Sun. Morning. Great music, the best that I have heard in BA = rap, hip hop, remix, techno. Lively, convivial, friendly crowd. Not too loud. Chugging contests, darts, small tables, a lotta people standing and talking. Friendly bartenders. Ten pesos cover but includes a pinta. Other pintas are either 7 or 10 pesos, I can't remember. Non ho's available.
    Nice to see the place is still open. El Sid get's around!

6 pesos a rack at Deep Blue! The tables and sticks are probably for shit too! Now that IS inflation. Still 2p at Gibralter. Their food and beer keep going up, but the price for a game of pool unchanged in nearly two years.

A poser for not liking Guinness. A wanker or fucking wanker **** for casting aspersions on the mongering community. I hope this fine point clarifies the issue (s)

On the other hand, as I understand it, in British pubs some are prostrate, not standing, but usually after drinking a lot of Guiness.

Understood, DD, but none of it's brewed in the UK, was the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexible Horn
    Do you think we all stand around drinking Guinness?

Unbelievable!
    Stand first, fall later.

Dickhead-

Only the Guinness served in Ireland, the UK, the USA and possibly continental Europe is actually brewed in Ireland at the St. James Gate location. The Guinness you get here, whether in the draught bottles or on tap at a pub, is brewed in South America. Likewise if you were to have a Guinness in Africa, Asia, or Australia, its all brewed locally.

Suerte,.

Dirk Diggler

Not only is Guinness made in Eire (Republic of Ireland) but all the grain used in it is grown in Eire. The harp is the symbol of Ireland and that would be a good first clue.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Also checked out Jack the Ripper tonight, though early. Fucking dark in this place. Had an awkward conversation with some TCU supporter tourist who cast aspersions upon the mongering community. Also, upon noticing my Guinness, remarked in a haughty manner that he could never "develop a taste for that english stuff". I refrained from splitting his fat lip with an at the ready David Bowie jewel case and moved on.
    This 'Guy' obviously did not know his stuff, as I believe Guinness was 1st brewed in Dublin Ireland and the Irish are very proud of their drink.

I can't believe a comment like ' Wanker' or 'Fucking wanker ****' if you don't like Guinness.

Have you ever drank in a British pub?

Do you think we all stand around drinking Guinness?

Unbelievable!

What's called a wanker, when in a British pub, or fucking wanker **** more likely. Also a poser for not liking Guinness.

Also checked out Jack the Ripper tonight, though early. Fucking dark in this place. Had an awkward conversation with some TCU supporter tourist who cast aspersions upon the mongering community. Also, upon noticing my Guinness, remarked in a haughty manner that he could never "develop a taste for that english stuff". I refrained from splitting his fat lip with an at the ready David Bowie jewel case and moved on.

I had a few beers at "The Spot" tonight. To correct some of my previous misinformation, the place is open Tuesday to Saturday. Not directly across from Deep Blue, but a little diagonal towards Recoleta way. Very personable barkeep name of Claudio, originally from Uruguay. And Moore, your Aussie barkeep is back down under.

"Spot" had some kinda sandwich board out the night I was there, which I remembered from previous visits to Deep Blue. Were it not for that I would never have known of its existence.

jack the ripper

As stated by others this is a dark bar, Englishman owned. Was there for happy hour (6-9) on a Monday. Happy hour is 2 for 1 on all alc beverages so for the Grand Marnier drinkers (12p) at 2/1 not a bad deal at all. Music is from an internet feed, a nice mix. The bartender said the best time is about midnight with a mix of locals and some English speakers. Ladies night Thurs. On July 28 there will be a 5 year anniversary party. About a 7,8 minute hike from the Shamrock or the Kids R Us Beerhall (1175 Uruaguay) Maybe a good diversion about midnight?

Posting Limitations