Thread: Rental Apartment Ripoffs

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson

Not even close

Hello Ivan,

To answer your question, the place in Facultad was a full 2 bedroom in a Belle Epoque building, with balconies off both bedrooms and livingroom and also had a 2nd level and a computer to use. The price was less than what you are quoting for the month but more importantly, I raised this rental as an example of the crappiest neighborhood I would want to stay in BA and I would expect Congreso to be a good bit less. It would be unfortunate for a newby to have there first trip to the city have them stuck in Congreso and then find out for that money they could have been sleeping in one of the nice neighborhoods they were visiting during the day. I don't really have a suggestion for a rental price that would attract me to your property but possibly some of those who work with rentals regularly might. Good luck.

Hey, that's a ripoff:

As I said, the ad was well placed. I have a studio for less than usd 400 PER MONTH! In centro (downtown) http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/lodgin...s_aires=centro

http://www.bytargentina.com/re/propl...r_page=1&sort=

This should get you an idea, going rate is anywhere between 500 and 700 dollar a month

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Grate
    Hi!

Well tell how me for how much your are renting there, in Facultad de Medicina is around 22 block from 9 de julio, I appricate if you give me your opinion how much itbe, with furnished ap.

Thanks for your coments.

Best regards.

Ivan
    Depends on appartment.

About 200-250 dollar a week, 600-700 dollar a month, 50 dollar a day

How's your ocupation-rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Redondo
    That's why he should ask about 35% less, but he surely is looking for the AP premium.

And I know both area's and I don't want to live in neither
    Living anywhere in the center of town is like living in Downtown LA.

Who would ever want to do that.

That's why he should ask about 35% less, but he surely is looking for the AP premium.

And I know both area's and I don't want to live in either.

Redondo: Your comment has been feed with at least a liter of ignorance. It's not possible to compare a duplex in the center of Recoleta with a who knows what in a place close to Avenida de Mayo and Saenz pena.

If you walk at night in Congreso, especially those streets, are dark, unsafe, ugly and in fact I was very close to buy a 300 sq meters in that area for USD 120.000 a bargain, but, everything has a reason. The value in Congreso it's much cheaper, as well the rentals are. For sure 45 usd a night in Congreso it's a ripoff. The ad has been placed accordingly.

By the way, check out pictures around the area:

http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/citypi...ation=congreso

It's a nice area to visit with daylight, but if you get in the night a couple of blocks away from the axis, looks very bad an unsafe.

Can you really blame him if he sees a add for 95US$ appartment at the top of the page, he could easily ask 60 then

I think the going rate is about 800 dollars, but what stops you from making an offer?
    For a 1 room studio apartment that is up to western standards in the center?

You are probably right.

I don't think this Ivan guy posted his monthly rate. But it probably would and should be around $800-900.

I think most AP members don't rent for more than 3-9 days, so that is probably why he posted a daily rate. $45 a day sounds fair enough.

But please post pics Ivan and you should repost this in the proper thread.

Regards,

BM

9. 04-13-08 15:58

Bum deal indeed

I had a similar response to this post. A studio apartment for rent in Congreso that charges by the night and at that price is way out of line. The closest I've rented to that area is Facultad de Medicina and at a nice discount to Recoleta and Belgrano. To rent there I'd look for any even big break, not being stuck for top dollar. What gives Ivan, are you throwing in a sister tag team or naked tango lessons for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Grate
    Hi everybody,

I have an apartment for short time rents on congreso Av. Mayo & santiago de estero. One room apartment, Queen size bed, cable, PC, ect, + including 24 hour building security, Its only for U$S 45 per night.

From 15th April onwards.

Feel free to contact me.

Thanks.

Ivan
    Ivan,

You might want to repost your apartment, unless it's really a ripoff!

Aleman,

If it is a dump, then why did you rent it? Did you rent it "over the internet" without having seen it first? For 300 dollars a week, if it was really so bad, you might have been better advised to have said "no" and then gone to rent a hotel room someplace else. There are several decent chica friendly possibilities you could have checked into in that price range.

Thumbs down Arroyo 932

Hi everybody,

There is an apartment for short time rents on the market, Arroyo 932, 8º A. Asking price is in the range you$S 300,- per week.

Avoid. It's a dump. I know it, I am presently staying in it.

No decent furniture, bare floor in the living room (floor painted in a light green) no decoration like rugs or pictures on the wall, an old sofa, a glass table and garden type plastic chairs. In the closet no space to put your stuff, just a few hangers, rest full with bedsheets, towels etc. The bed is small (bit less than queen, but ok, "test driven". The only nice thing is a large balcony (its in the building's top floor) with a great view.

Jackson, feel free to move the post if you feel it belongs somewhere else.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

I believe as a result of price comparisons in local papers and on the internet that I have done is that Reynolds asks for the highest price in town (or advises their property owners to ask for the highest prices) They seem to deal with people with unlimited budgets and limited time to look around. More power to them but not the best way to go for everybody. There are more reasonable alternatives.

I have used www.bytargentina.com 4 times. All without the slightest problem.

Of course these were short term rentals (1-2 weeks)

Cool Reynolds Properties

Unexpectedly thrust into the rental market a couple of weeks ago I was referred to Reynolds. I was assigned an agent who was instructed to look for 2 bedroom apartments in the neighborhood of Callao and Arenales. Our first outing was a string of large apartments near Libertador and Callao, about 12 blocks from the area I wanted. To be fair the agent said she wanted to get an idea of what I was looking for. Ok, she learned I wouldn't live on Libertador if it was free.

From what we saw I would guess their customers are corporate types that need a lot of room and don't know where they are except in Buenos Aires. The agents first words after hello were about how you could only get a 2 year lease in Argentina. Not.

After that we looked at 1 apartment on Arenales near Callao that was "interesting" except the owner was listing it for sale and for rent. I. E. Your stay there might be a limited one - please, hold the misery. That viewing was my last contact with the agent in over a week. Meanwhile I found an apartment elsewhere.

I think if you lean on this outfit, I. E, make them put leather on the pavement and know something about how contracts can be written you have a chance of them finding you an apartment, maybe even something that fits what you want. They have one agent very fluent in English, Anna. Just beware you don't get the "corporate" treatment with a lease, location and price to match.

What I want to know is why aren't there more real estate agent jokes, like lawyers and dentists. Many of these people were apparently put on earth along with landlords to create protracted misery and steal anything with a smile that isn't nailed down in a contract. And even then!

Posting Limitations