Thread: Rental Cars

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BALuvr  [View Original Post]
    I rented a car in Bariloche once. Be very careful to inspect the car when you pick it up and have them record every little scratch and dent. They are MUCH more picky than in the States.
    I always go around the car with a video camera.

I rented a car in Bariloche once. Be very careful to inspect the car when you pick it up and have them record every little scratch and dent. They are MUCH more picky than in the States.

The information on this thread is very useful. I'll be renting a car for about 3 days during an upcoming trip. Does anyone have recent experience to post?

Thanks

Adios parking zones

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    The biggest pain in the ass is to find where to park in BA!
    True, with the implementation of the "no parking in the street" rule in most areas in Recoleta and Barrio Norte, parking is literally a pain in the ass because I end up taking the colectivo instead of using my car. We all know how a pain it is in the ass to take those rush hour trips in those colectivos since their seats are uncushioned.

Unlike the US

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    The blue "E" in BsAs isn't Kenny boys old company but rather a parking lot. I would of course defer to WB (Welsh Bastard who is not old) in ALL things, that being said you're a braver man than I if you choose to rent a car in BsAs. I've driven there and it's crazy, get all the insurance available and rent from a major not some fly by night crew. If you can get the "I'm ok if I return nothing but the steering wheel" insurance. Get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Master J
    I am heading there next week and was considering renting a car for part of my trip. I have an on again off again who lives south of BA and I have taken the trip by cab quite a few times. This way I thought it might give us a little more time together. Plus I am staying in Puerto Madero and I like to frequent some of the Belgrano scenes. I am en ex NY city guy so I am trained well.

My question is in the 12 times I have traveled to EZER I still don't have the slightest clue of how to get on to the Autopista? I can only imagine asking for directions if I am going the wrong way and how about carjacks? I am going to the barrios!

On the positive it gives me more freedom to explore various parts of the city and I can move around at will. Cabs have gotten more expensive.

I emailed New way and I think I am good to go?

Any thoughts if anyone has had any experience and an information regarding.

Thank you Jackson as always for having this forum available for our many needs!
    Depends a lot on where you have to go to. The Autopista La Plata is damn easy to connect from Puerto Madero. It starts where Pto Madero ends! The Autopista to EZE is reasonably easy. You just go up Independencia Avenue from Pto Madero and turn left on 9 de Julio and you'll stumble on the Autopista.

As to security, also, once again, depends on what neighbouring towns you go to. Some are fine, others OK and some really dangerous!

Info

I am heading there next week and was considering renting a car for part of my trip. I have an on again off again who lives south of BA and I have taken the trip by cab quite a few times. This way I thought it might give us a little more time together. Plus I am staying in Puerto Madero and I like to frequent some of the Belgrano scenes. I am en ex NY city guy so I am trained well.

My question is in the 12 times I have traveled to EZER I still don't have the slightest clue of how to get on to the Autopista? I can only imagine asking for directions if I am going the wrong way and how about carjacks? I am going to the barrios!

On the positive it gives me more freedom to explore various parts of the city and I can move around at will. Cabs have gotten more expensive.

I emailed New way and I think I am good to go?

Any thoughts if anyone has had any experience and an information regarding.

Thank you Jackson as always for having this forum available for our many needs!

Administrator

Venues: 398

Report Moved

Hi Capn Rick,

Your report on importing vehicles was excellent. In fact, it was so good that I moved it to the thread titled "Importing a vehicle into Argentina" specifically established for this subject.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=2924

Thanks,

Jackson

Renting Vans

I rented a pickup once in Pilar and I remember they had vans. It was across the street from the big shopping center on route 8 (Jumbo / Easy / Nextel etc.) Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Rick
    Does anyone know where I can rent a van. In BsAs or Mar Del? I have a large item. 6 feet long, 4 feet high and 350 pounds.

Cannot be crated. Any ideas, guys? I'm getting desperate 'cause I need it here (MarDel) by 27Nov. H-E-L-P!

Suerte
    There are not many companies that rent vans or trucks in BA - Try this one:

http://www.paginasamarillas.com.ar/e...10155509948153

And if you just want a van that you don't need to drive yourself try this one.

http://www.fletesya.com.ar/

Saludos. Anyone know where I can rent a van.

Does anyone know where I can rent a van. in BsAs or Mar Del? I have a large item. 6 feet long, 4 feet high and 350 pounds.

Cannot be crated. Any ideas, guys? I'm getting desperate 'cause I need it here (MarDel) by 27Nov. H-E-L-P!

Suerte

Query

I do not have much experience with car rentals.

Can anyone explain me in detail, the car rental scene in Buenos Aires.

Are the deals better if renting for 2-3 months or is it irrespective of the duration of the rent and just the daily rate is applicable?

eg In some Asian cities, you can rent a decent small sized car for 300~400 usd a month, but its usually via small companies in long term rentals. Does anyone have clue about this in BA? Maybe some local in distress willing to rent out his car, etc etc

Do rental cars often break down? If yes, how to get it adjusted?

If the rented car does get a dent, would it be prudent get it fixed before returning the car? If yes, please elaborate on it.

Thanks in advance.

P. S: I know most mongers on short visits are against the idea of car rentals, but I am personally quite intrigued by the idea and want to try it out in my next visit if the price is reasonable.

I've rented from Dietrich several times, no problems and they are not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    Hi, I would emphasis this point. A week after I returned my February rental, Thrifty charged my credit card for an additional $150 USD for a missing spare tire.
    Interesting. I have to say, though, that I've rented from them some twenty or thirty times over the last 18 months without incident. Several times I've returned it with less gas than what I left with and even a couple more scratches. They've never said a word. Generally I've found them to be nicer than what I would have expected. *shrug*

==================================================

I would imagine that is because the rental agency's employees can't make any money by stealing and reselling "a couple more scratches" or a gas tank with "less gas than what I left".

OTOH, a spare tire...

Thanks,

Jackson

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by BA Luvr
    Besides Sydney's advice, be sure to check the car for any dents or scratches. They will charge you big time when you return the car.
    Hi,

I would emphasis this point. A week after I returned my February rental, Thrifty charged my credit card for an additional $150 USD for a missing spare tire.

Frankly, I have no idea if the car had a spare tire when I picked it up, although I do know that the car was always locked and there were no suspicious "incidences" while it was in my possession.

Of course I was present when the agent inspected the car at check in, and she didn't bother to look in the spare tire well, and neither did I. My point is that they "accepted" the car at that time, which to me ends my liability.

Anyway, the entire "mysteriously missing spare tire" incident impressed me as having all the earmarks of a typical Argentine employee scam, so I contested the credit card charge. Nevertheless, you can bet that I will now be examining the spare tire well of every car I rent in BA.

Thanks,

Jackson

Posting Limitations