Thread: Rental Cars

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Sixt or Thrifty

I rent cars often and it's usually from Sixt or Thrifty. Both are near the corner of Carlos Pellegrini and Libertador.

I usually go with Thrifty because they offer Peugeots and Sixt offers Fords and the former are nicer to drive. The Fords suck. Thrifty also has a discount when you use American Express, which is nice. With the discount it's about 160 pesos a day for a 206.

BUT. Sixt has unlimited miles, so when I need to go a long way away, I rent from them.

BA Luvr gives good advice (although my advice is even better!) and in fact, I would take some photos. Get the rental agent in the photos for further proof.

Extra Charges

Besides Sydney's advice, be sure to check the car for any dents or scratches. They will charge you big time when you return the car.

Hop on the bus, Gus. Or take the train.

Renting a car?

Hi guys

Any idea where yo rent a decent car (not a crappy one) in BA?

I don't to sell my kiddney but I need to go to Mar del plata. Thnx

Administrator

Venues: 398

Rental Car rates

Greetings everyone,

I recently rented a car for my a two week trip to the beach. Before renting, I compared rates with several car rental agencies (listed below) all at downtown locations and all for a comparable car.

For the 3rd year in a row, Thrifty Rent a Car in La Recova beat out the other agencies by approximately 20%. I don't know why, but they've been consistent winners for three years in a row now, and I was 100% satisfied with their service.

Thrifty Car Rental
    Carlos Pellegrini 1576
    La Recova de Posadas.
    0810-999-8500

The other agencies I checked with in person were.

Budget Rent A Car - San Martin 1225
    Dollar Rent A Car - MT Alevar 449
    Localiza Rent A Car - Cerrito 1080
    Dietrich Rent a Car - also in La Recova.

Budget and Dollar were approximately 20-30% higher.

Localiza and Dietrich (the Argentina companies) were approximately 50% higher.

Hertz and Avis have been off the charts the past two years, so I didn't bother to check them out this year.

Thanks,

Jackson

I just used New Way Car Rental, Marcelo T. 773, 4515-0331 / 04332 for a trip to Pinamar.

www.new-wayrentacar.com / newwayrentacar@hotmail. Com

2006 VW Gol, unlimited mileage, insurance and taxes included for 150 pesos a day (three day rental) I had priced others and Hertz / Alamo were way out of line. The key for me was unlimited miles. Limiting daily miles seems to be the industry standard here. They held a voucher for my credit card but never charged anything.

Very happy with the company. I had heard some horror stories about ripoff inspections when the car is returned. Although you inspect the car with a rep before leaving, it is done in a relatively dark garage. When you return it the inspection is done on a bright sunny street! They had marked on the form the tiniest little chips and scratches when I took control of the car. When I turned it in they signed off without any bullshit.

I was ready to ask if there was a small chip in the paint and they wanted to charge me, how come the other chips were never fixed if people had to pay for the scratch?

Anyhow it worked out well and I highly recommend them.

Car rental

Gandolf:

Check www.localiza.com.ar.

A compact like a Ford Focus or GM Astra is A$R 70,- a day, but WITHOUT miles, they go extra. And for a week you pay 5 days.

Buying a car might not be that easy, you probably need all sort of residential bullshit, like for opening a bank acount.

If you pm me what you are doing in BA, I can give you some info about what I did and how.

Have fun,

El Alemán

Thanks for the info. Hertz charges (at the airport) about $500US a week plus you need to put up a $1500 deposit (Credit Card OK) and thats for a Uno! Your right, in the city the taxi & trains are great, but my place is a little ways out and I am always needing to hit the hardware store / Easy / etc. Not to mention going out at night! I really need to buy a car and leave it there but I always end up using the money on other things!

Thumbs up Utility - Rent a Car

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50
    Does any one have any information on reasonably priced rental cars? The airport gouges you! I was using Top Renta Car in Recoletea, but they seem to have gone out of business.
    I have used Utility - Rent a Car for the last 2 years or so. Price for a pretty new Renault Megane - 2ltr Sport = AR$3000 per month on a long term hire, inclusive of full insurance.

I'm not sure if this is cheap by local car hire standards here or not (my company picks up the tab anyway)

I guess that you should be able to pick up a car similar to this for a little more than AR$100 per day or so, probably considerably less if you were to go for something a little smaller.

All in all, as has been recommended by other regular posters, if you can avoid driving down here then so much the better though. Taxis are cheap and plentiful, and AR$3000 can buy you a lot of running around over a month.

But if on the other hand you absolutely just have to hire one for whatever reason then I feel comfortable recommending this company, they have given me no problems at all during my period with them.

Hope this info helps you out some.

Suerte.

EC.

Utility Rent a Car.

Av. Brasil 2644, Capital Federal.

011 4942-5055

info@utility. Com. Ar

rental car

2 years ago, I was using Localiza, who seems to be one of the largest South American rental companies. This was arranged by Mayra, and everything worked well - especially, when I had some trouble with the car (cooling water hose broke) they came along with a replacement in a few minutes.

I found prices "reasonable", but I am European, and prices here always have been higher than in the States - so what I consider reasonable still may feel high to an American.

Anyway, renting a car only makes sense if you want to go out of BA, either on a trip, or as it was in my case, on a dayly basis. Within the city it is hard to spend as much on taxies as a car costs. And Dickheads know to travel even cheaper.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

Rental Cars

Does any one have any information on reasonably priced rental cars? The airport gouges you! I was using Top Renta Car in Recoletea, but they seem to have gone out of business.

Administrator

Venues: 398

Rental Cars

List - Downtown Rental Car Agencies

Victory Rent a Car
    Paraguay 938 in Capital Federal.
    5217-2277 / 5217-2278 / 15-4539-4088
    victory_rentacar@hotmail. Com

Posting Limitations