Thread: Gyms and Health Clubs

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    Okay so today I go by two places to check them out.

I walk to Sportclub second location at 2000 Paraguay (about the same walk from my house to Meg. On Arenales. Big building, lots of equipment, somewhat dated but servicable. Dirk: you may want to check it out as the benches seemed wider, machines had lots of weights. 20 kilo discs abound. Drawback: the lockers and showers are dark and dank. Need some cleaning on the tiles. Pool.

If I join Sportclub this location is included in the very reasonable price.

I go to Meg. And work out and tell them I have had enuff of their price increases (in a nice way) I tell them I will need my electrocard report that I turned in last month and they can't find it. The guy will be looking for it over the next couple of days. Amazing that they wanted this report and letter from the doctor and yet their is no file system with a file for me they can just open up. No one seemed to know where the report went. Guy was looking in drawers at the front desk! I wonder: if I have a heart attack will it magically appear.

I walk to La Parc and speak to some little faggot. He tells me 200 pesos for a month and a monthly price of 120 pesos (X 12) for the year. I get the tour (nice lockers, bathrooms, dark and small spaces for free weights, very little free weights) older machines. Everything is along walls, no big room to work out in. Some girl who is answering my questions seems surprised when I tell her the kid at the desk gave me a foreigner price (Hound was quoted 99 monthly @yr and 165 monthly) and it bothers me. Seems to bother her too. As I am leaving I tell the kid at the desk I wasn't that impressed with the place and also tell him he gave me a foreigner price. He says it is the same price for everyone. I almost ***** slap him.

So much for La Parc.

So far best deals: Meg on Reconquista (includes several others like Rod Pena but not Arenales and Alto Palermo) at 110 monthly @ yr or Sportclub on Diag Norte & Florida, new place, 90 monthly @yr with option to use the one on Paraguay.
    Thomaso, I belong to the Megatlon in La Imprenta (Las Caņitas) and the prices were ridiculous last year and they have gotten absurd with the new year. Last year I paid AR$1,500 pesos for a one year membership. All new memberships are now being quoted the following:

One year membership AR$1,925 or $160 per month if they charge your local credit card over a one year period. However, if you pay in cash or one payment, now this is absurd, the annual membersip is $2,100.

By the way, if one joins one of the other Megatlon gyms that have less expensive memberships you cannot use La Imprenta gym, however, if you join La Imprenta you can use all the other Megatlon gyms.

I've tried quite a few of the gyms you've been investigating and the best I've found so far, albeit expensive, is La Imprenta Megatlon. The machines are state of the art and the pool is impressive. They have on going classes all day and night. Rarely does one have to wait for a machine or weights.

I believe they get these prices because the place is always frequented by local models like Liz Solari, or television and movie stars, or historians like Felipe Pigna.

Okay so today I go by two places to check them out.

I walk to Sportclub second location at 2000 Paraguay (about the same walk from my house to Meg. on Arenales. Big building, lots of equipment, somewhat dated but servicable. Dirk: you may want to check it out as the benches seemed wider, machines had lots of weights. 20 kilo discs abound. Drawback: the lockers and showers are dark and dank. Need some cleaning on the tiles. Pool.

If I join Sportclub this location is included in the very reasonable price.

I go to Meg. and work out and tell them I have had enuff of their price increases (in a nice way) I tell them I will need my electrocard report that I turned in last month and they can't find it. The guy will be looking for it over the next couple of days. Amazing that they wanted this report and letter from the doctor and yet their is no file system with a file for me they can just open up. No one seemed to know where the report went. Guy was looking in drawers at the front desk! I wonder: if I have a heart attack will it magically appear.

I walk to La Parc and speak to some little faggot. He tells me 200 pesos for a month and a monthly price of 120 pesos (X 12) for the year. I get the tour (nice lockers, bathrooms, dark and small spaces for free weights, very little free weights) older machines. Everything is along walls, no big room to work out in. Some girl who is answering my questions seems surprised when I tell her the kid at the desk gave me a foreigner price (Hound was quoted 99 monthly @yr and 165 monthly) and it bothers me. Seems to bother her too. As I am leaving I tell the kid at the desk I wasn't that impressed with the place and also tell him he gave me a foreigner price. He says it is the same price for everyone. I almost ***** slap him.

So much for La Parc.

So far best deals: Meg on Reconquista (includes several others like Rod Pena but not Arenales and Alto Palermo) at 110 monthly @ yr or Sportclub on Diag Norte & Florida, new place, 90 monthly @yr with option to use the one on Paraguay.

I see,

The answer is: Yes. The average chain gym will charge you between $25-$40 a month. If you are renewing your membership, many times they will give you a huge discount and they also have 2 for 1 deals. All of this is unheard of here in BA.
    Thanks Easy, as I thought, Megatlon wants as much if not more than USA gym.

Thanks Easy, as I thought, Megatlon wants as much if not more than USA gym.

Bad: I do not know about parking, isn't there parking for the mall itself?

Costs on US

Thomaso276 asked about pricing in the US.

I pay $US300 annually in the US but don't live in a big city. That's for a local club with lots of lots if Olympic free weights, weight machines, and aerobic equipment. No pool. Lockers are daily use only (free) Never crowded and the manager hires for cute.

LA Fitness is opening a big new club nearby. Announced pricing is $S30/ month for a month-to-month plan. Looks nice on the plans and includes a pool.

I was in LA (Santa Monica) at Christmas and used the Spectrum Club there. Daily fee is $20 (ouch! And I think the annual cost is around $500-600.

I paid around $AR60 for a month at the basic little gym I go to when I'm in BA (price was for Sep 2007) No Olympic free weights and no aerobic machines except for a couple of old treadmils and exercise bikes. Small and crowded at prime time.

I'd join another gym if I lived in BA but these guys are friendly and don't hassle me about the health certificate so it's OK for a couple of weeks. The club (Akros) is at Junin & Juncal.

Mongers,

I too have been put off by the recent shake-ups in the pricing / equipment at Megatlon. I go to Megatlon Rodriguez Pena and they recently installed all new equipment in the weightroom. This new equipment is total and complete shit; there are less machines and freeweights (the machines now have LESS weight in their stacks) now there are not all the machines I need to get a proper workout. For example, they replaced the three decent bench presses with two competlely useless bench presses that are almost impossible to find balance on. I am paid up until April but I will not be re-upping my membership if I can find something better. I was recently in Medellin, Colombia and there I went to a network of gyms called BodyTech (they also exist in Rio de Janeiro) that was on par with the best gyms in the USA, something no gym in Argentina has ever come close to.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Hey Thomaso,

I have a question for you. If I get membership at the Alto Palermo Megatlon, does that include free parking?

Went around today for some info:

Megatlon has a tiered price structure depending on what locations you want:

Reconquista, nice, pool, 4 floors, closes at 10, 5 on Sat for 110 a month (1320 Yearly) Locker is 240 a year you get all locations except Arenales and Alto Palermo, Total: 1560. 6 blocks from my home.

Arenales, no pool, includes all locations except Alto Palermo, I rent a locker for about 330 yearly, renew in Feb. For 1550 pesos, plus locker, total about 1900 pesos about 13 blocks from my home.

Include Alto Palermo: 1800 pesos plus locker at Arenales, total over 2100 pesos.

Bad: I went by Wellclub on Rod Pena yesterday, it is a little small and old. Free weights room is tiny. I cannot go out to Palermo as it is too far. FYI, I have been to the Megatlon in Alto Palermo once in three years. Thanks for the heads up but location is not good for me.

Sportclub: Sportclub. Com. Ar Diagonal Norte and Florida, 9 blocks from my home. Nice new gym, two floors, no pool at this location but others in their network, closest one at 2060 Paraguay. Hours at this place until 10 pm, 3pm on Saturday. One year 1045 pesos, locker about pesos for one year, total: 1250. I was told lots of secretaries during lunchtime and after work!

Sportclub: 300 pesos less than local Megatlon, almost 900 pesos less than the superior membership of Megatlon.

I will check out LaParc Monday. But I have decided enough is enough with price increases and will be changing soon.

Went around today for some info:

Megatlon has a tiered price structure depending on what locations you want:

Reconquista, nice, pool, 4 floors, closes at 10, 5 on Sat for 110 a month (1320 Yearly) Locker is 240 a year you get all locations except Arenales and Alto Palermo, Total: 1560. 6 blocks from my home.

Arenales, no pool, includes all locations except Alto Palermo, I rent a locker for about 330 yearly, renew in Feb. For 1550 pesos, plus locker, total about 1900 pesos about 13 blocks from my home.

Include Alto Palermo: 1800 pesos plus locker at Arenales, total over 2100 pesos.

Bad: I went by Wellclub on Rod Pena yesterday, it is a little small and old. Free weights room is tiny. I cannot go out to Palermo as it is too far. FYI, I have been to the Megatlon in Alto Palermo once in three years. Thanks for the heads up but location is not good for me.

Sportclub: Sportclub.com.ar Diagonal Norte and Florida, 9 blocks from my home. Nice new gym, two floors, no pool at this location but others in their network, closest one at 2060 Paraguay. Hours at this place until 10 pm, 3pm on Saturday. One year 1045 pesos, locker about pesos for one year, total: 1250. I was told lots of secretaries during lunchtime and after work!

Sportclub: 300 pesos less than local Megatlon, almost 900 pesos less than the superior membership of Megatlon.

I will check out LaParc Monday. But I have decided enough is enough with price increases and will be changing soon.

You should check out wellclub, they have 6 locations in the Palermo / Barrio Norte area. I pay $200 US for 6 months, but I think if you pay a year in advance, you will only pay around $350 US.

La Parc

Nearby your residence is La Parc. Monthly priced at 165p--that's month to month. Pretty steep. On a yearly contract I was quoted 99p / month.

Megatlon is getting ready for some heavy price increases after upgrading Rod Pena and Alto Palermo. I was quoted 1500 pesos (cash) for the year. Last year it was 1100. The year before around 900.

I am not sure if it (1500) included Alto Palermo which the guy said was now a different category from the Platinum membership. It is considered Superior. Someone I know went there last night and was told the price to include Alto Palermo in the network it was 1800 pesos for the year. I asked about Arenales only, as I do not use the other locations and the fucker said it was more to go to only one place. You can never get a straight answer out of these guys and I think each location has different pricing.

Although I have been a member for 3 years I have had enuff of these 20-40% jumps. I will be looking for a new gym closer to home.

My question is for all you guys in the USA, what is the average monthly cost for your local gym?

Thanks.

Medical Certificate Requirement

My gym now has signs all over it that say that after 9-30-07 they won't let anyone use the gym until they have a medical certificate on file. Easy Go's April 2007 post noted this legal requirement, and that it was being widely ignored.

Does anyone know if there is an exception for non-residents, or short term visitors? For example, it seems unlikely that all hotels are supposed to require you to get a medical clearance for a one hour one time use of their gym.

Assuming it really is needed: Does anyone know where to go to get this certificate without waiting in some clinic half the day? My gym is small and does not have a doctor lined up. I have my doubts as to whether Easy Go's gym doctor (there Monday mornings) will see non-members.

Lightbulb Coronel Diaz 1750 does NOT have a pool,

The location I use does not have a swimming pool, but I was told others do. I usually swim at home, so I am not going to drive to another location just to swim, but I have the option if I wanted to. But if you have any questions, you might want to call them directly. I have only been to one location so far.

Bad

WellClub Coronel Diaz 1750

Are you sure they all have a pool? From the web site it looked to me like only the Arenales location has one.

Bob

WellClub Coronel Diaz 1750

Since moving, I had to find a new gym. I tried out the Megatlon at Alto Palermo which is pretty close to my house, but their pricing was pretty off. I was quoted 240 a month without a contract and 140 a month with a contract, I was about to sign up for a 6 month membership when I found a great gym about 2 blocks from my house on Coronel Diaz, which is called Well CLUB. They have 6 locations all in Palermo, Barrio Norte and Recoleta, with swimming pools, wet and dry saunas, solariums. All their machines are brand new and comparable with megathlon's machines. The price was somewhat less as well. I was quoted 120 a month without a contract and 90 a month for a 6 month contract, so I signed up.

Same equipment as megatlon, but at megatlon I pay 300 US for a 6 month contract and here I pay 200.

Here's the website.

http://www.wellclub.org/

Bad

Posting Limitations