Thread: Gyms and Health Clubs

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Gym I used in Vicente Lopez

I went to Gimnasio Leiton on Maipu. It cost 12 pesos for a one time visit. It's on 3 floors, reception on the first, aerobics room on the second, with weights and cardio machines on the top floor.

One of the trainers here spoke English very well. He was very helpful when needed but got out of my way when he saw that I knew what I was doing.

It was early Saturday evening and there weren't many others there. There were a couple of lookers, one of whom had a wedding ring and another that left soon after I started.

The equipment is adequate. Some of the machines need some maitenance or should just be junked altogether. But between the machines and free weights you can get a fairly complete workout.

From the Mansion where I'm staying just walk down Haedo toward Maipu. This will take about 10 minutes. Then turn right on Maipu and walk another 10 minutes or so. The gym will be on the right.

There may be better gyms around but this one was adequate and didn't cost much.

Personal Trainer

Anyone know a gym in Recoleta with decent personal trainers?

Well Club Arenales 3674

It is near Scalabrini Ortiz in Palermo. It is a decent club with a fair amount of equipment. It was 70 pesos. For two weeks. Megatlon at Alto Palermo wanted 200 pesos.

There are maybe six treadmills, four bikes, and four elypticals (that are pretty flimsy) There are about at least a dozen strength training machines and decent amount of free weights.

Enough to keep the half a cow in your colon from migrating to your gut.

Neo's closed since my last trip so I was out checking gyms in the Recoleta area today. Megatlon wanted $AR80/ week or $AR200 for a month and is a bit far from my apartment at Guido & Pueyrredon so it was not very attractive. I looked at three others: Bull's Gym (French y Azcuenaga) Akros (Juncal y Junin) and Full Energy (Las Heras y Azcuenaga) All three are small clubs with just the basics. None have much in the way of modern aerobics equipment compared to Megatlon but the cost is $AR40-60/ month.

Bull's has yoga and Pilates and Full Energy is much closer than either to my apartment.

I ended up joining Akros for $AR55 because my personal trainer at Neo's suggested we use it and the walk will do me good.

Exclamation Openclub Body Factory

I just signed up today to a gym about 5 minutes away from my house. The gym is in Las Canitas. It is a small gym, they have free weights, machines in one room, cardio equipment in another, and upstairs they have classes for pilates, boxing, yoga and all other kinds of stuff. The membership included all the classes. It is a no frills type gym, but it has all the stuff you will really need. It's open from 7:30 am until 10:30 pm. I liked it because they have a set pricing. I went in thinking they might give me the tourist price, but they showed me their flyer with all the prices printed on there. The only thing the gym lacks, which I have used in the past are the the saunas and swimming pool, but for someone who is mainly interested in doing an hour or two of cardio and free weights a day and having the option of free classes in all kinds of stuff, its a good place. The prices are as follows. $60 AR a month, $150 AR for 3 months and $250 AR for 6 months. I could have probably gone and paid more at another gym but this one is about a 5 minute walk from my house and it has everything I need. Plus, I saw some hotties in there, and the lady at the front desk was a real looker too.

Number is 4773-1837

decent gym

There is a nice gym and pool at the Sheraton. If the weather is ok, the girls shows up in their bikinis.

Cuba Club

For anybody who lives out in the Belgrano area I would recommend the Cuba Club, on Cuba near Congreso. Good people, nice selection of equipment (though I'm not a big power lifter, maybe you shouldn't take my word for it) and a lot cheaper than the gyms in Recoleta.

Where is the best gym to find the ladies?

Animal Packs

Check out the Vitacost. Com for some of the best prices for Animal Packs.

Suggest you order & have items shipped to your US address. The next return trip bring your vites and save a bunch.

Jackpot

Supplement Stores

Mongers-

I am happy to report that I found a new supplement store named Gym Home located on Marcelo T. De Alvear between Talchuano and Libertad in Barrio Norte. They had a decent selection of Whey Proteins, Creatines, Amino Acids, Weight Gainers, Vitamins, and Fat Burners. In addition they sell gym equipment and other sporting goods (boxing gloves, basketballs, etc) If you are expecting GNC in the USA you will be heavily disappointed, but I would rate this place better than any Megatlon gym or Fitness Show (corner Santa Fe and Luis Maria Campos in Palermo) for buying supplements.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Narziso and Sports Club.

I go to Narziso in Palermo at Plaza salguero. I prepaid for a year and the price was 45 pesos per months. Average quality on the machines. But they have many instructurs that will give you very good attention when requested. Besides this, there are many hot Palermo girls, that seems to be from middle-upper class.

My friend goes to Sports Club which have the advantage that you can use the same membership on it's many different locations in town.

As well, I think Argentine regulations prohibit excessive amounts of daily minimum requirements. For example, Animal Pak from Universal has a factory here but ingredients are only up to 100%. Same stuff in USA has 500 -1000% on some ingredients.

Thanks for the reply.

That's good to know info. I haven't used any supplements for the past 5 years other than protein powders and the weight loss stuff. I've been working out fairly consistently for the past year but have a hard time losing the body fat. Mainly because I'm not disciplined enough to lay off the fatty foods. Back in 2000, I was in the best shape of my life when I used Hydroxycut with ephedra. I didn't change my diet but the fat just melted away. Nothing I've used since has had any positive effect.

I guess the answer is really to become more disciplined with my caloric intake. It's really motivating when you can get results in a relatively short time frame by using the ephedra based products.

Thanks again,

Judd

Judd,

In general, the nutritional supplement market in Argentina is in its infancy and is very underdeveloped. The products that are available are also almost always inferior to those that can be purchased in the United States. About two thirds of the products are manufactured in Brasil with the remaining coming from the USA. The products that are imported from the USA are almost triple the price of what they would be in the USA, and only inferior products are in fact imported, so it sucks all around. Protein powder (generally low quality) protein bars (some decent) creatine (havent tried it) thermogenics (weight loss pills, ephedra based, etc, also havent tried these) and vitamins are all available. Although I have not inspected the label of the thermogenics because I do not use those products, I would bet my bottom dollar that they include some form of ephedra / ephedrine / ma huang, since this is the cheapest, most readily available, and some say most effective metabolism stimulant available. ANYWAY, I buy the protein bars here but I have my protein powder brought in from the USA every month.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Dirk

Can you get ephedra based weight loss products in BA? The ephedra ban has been temporarily lifted in the states. However, I'm in Cali, and companies cannot deliver the product to the Govenator's state.

Late,

Judd

Posting Limitations