Thread: Tailoring & Custom Suits

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Chenene

His Post is 7 Years Old!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnJohny  [View Original Post]
    Friend you can buy tailored suits from Sunny's Custom Tailor. He is famous all over the world for his bespoke tailoring.
    The guy was looking for a tailor 7 years ago, not for this coming September; at least that's how I understand it.

There is an excellent custom tailor on my corner with imported fabrics, completely hand-made or bench-made.

Makes me mad thinking about suits! Someone stole $10,000 DOLLARS worth of suits from me! I guess they can bury me in shorts!

TL.

Friend you can buy tailored suits from Sunny's Custom Tailor. He is famous all over the world for his bespoke tailoring.

I'll be coming down in September and I'm hoping to save up some extra loot to freshen up the ol' closet. Has anyone come across any solid taylors that could use a little extra business?

Plus I'm really interested in hearing about iackson's super taylor, if you can hear me, please share your wisdom =D.

LM

DIOR for men's clothing

My experience with the argentine Dior stores for men's clothing is excellent. The quality of the clothing and the prices have been discussed below. Besides suits, the have quality pants for us$30 to 50; us$150 dress shirts made from italian cotton for us$40 to 50. I purchased a classic blazer two years ago and lost 50 lbs. Dior recut the blazer for me at no charge. The tayloring was top notch.

In the usa Dior is a very expensive high fashion brand. In Bs As Dior is priced like a mid-ranged department store in the USA. The largest Dior store is on Santa Fee. The main tayloring facility is in the same building. This location has the largest selection of goods. The prices are the same in all the stores, but the selection of sizes and the range of merchandize differs.

Daniel Hector has a simular deal in BS AS. High quality, high fashion men's wear assembled in Argentina with the appropriate price saving.

Jackson has a custom taylor that does high quality work for a custom suit at Macy's ready made prices.

For moderately priced items, you will do better at the Ross Stores or Syms in the USA. The Argentine import duties destroy the prices on imported goods. Most of the Argentine clothing products are cheaply made and more expensive than their USA equivilents, if you know how to shop in the USA and are in a major city. The destruction of the ARgentine economy destroyed the demand for higher quality clothing produced in for the local Argentine market. As the economy improves that will likely change. The boutiques in Las Canitas and Palermo Soho have great local stuff produced in small quanities at high prices.

Bob

Three places

There is a place on Santa Fe on the left side as you walk down the street somewhere around Monte Video called Giesso (something like that) it is one of the oldest mens shops in Argentina and has excellent quality clothes. Probably a little more expensive than you want but nice.

At the corner of Paraguay and Suipacha (nicely located next to the triangle) is a store called Eqqus ask for Claudio. He has absolutly impecable taste and is a very, very nice man. Tell him Jim from Texas sent you. This store has an appeal to a little younger crowd but they carry a lot of different styles. Their sport is very good. The house brand is nice mostly blends but nice. The shoes are good, strangly sized though. They carry a lot of Dior and if you spend a fair amount will discount for cash. The real value at this place though is Claudio, as I said his taste is impecable and his service is great. You will feel as if your in a bespoke shop but your buying off the rack. I've taken several friends to him and all have been very happy. An added bonus if you buy a few suits they keep a tailor at the shop for alterations. You can go do the 2for 1 at the privado on Suipacha and then come back for your suit. If privados arn't your thing it's a short walk to excedra.

There is a small tailor shop just a few doors up Callao from Santa Fe that I have never bought anything from but has the feel of a good shop. There bespoke suites start at you$S350.00 and go up from there depends on the material I think. Like I said I've never bought from there but the clothes look good. It's a door or two past the little cyber cafe about half way up the block to Marcelo T. The Tailor looks to be about 1000 years old and has probably made 10,000 suites.

As Andre says "Hope this helps."

I bought 2 Dior suits for about US$250 each at the Dior store at Abasto mall (Almagro area) about a year ago. Id recommend avoiding the tourist malls like Pacifica and Bullrich. These are top quality (120s? Wool) Dior suits of imported fabric (but assembled in Argentina) that I'm guessing would cost 3 or 4 times that in the USA or Europe - I don't know because I never shopped Dior before moving to Argentina. Besides the low list prices, you get two additional discounts - 1) they generally accept US$ at about 10% above its market rate; 2) fill out the forms when you purchase and you'll get 21% VAT tax back at Ezeiza when you leave the country (provided you do so within 90 days, I think). I recommend this store - the guys there know their stuff and the selection is ample. For under US$1000 you can buy a complete professional wardrobe. They'll measure you but in case you didnt know, they use European sizes here - generally add 10 to USA size. Average USA suit size is about 42, here its about 52.
    Last edited by Moore; 09-03-05 at 01:45. Reason: Software

Just take a walk along Santa Fe from Pelligrini to Puerrydon. Lots of stores, British cuts, Diors, etc. The British styles are usually less $, more business oriented, the younger look cost a few more bucks. Plenty of nice suits for $200 or less (including Dior in non - Dior stores) Stay away from Florida, tourist areas in Recoleta.

Tailoring & Custom Suits

I know about the places in Recoleta which charge tourists international prices for a Hugo Boss or Armani suit like in Galleria Pacifico, but what about a boutique or factoriy outlets that the Argentinian local upper class visit. Looking to buy 4 suits and pay about $200 to $300 US dollars a suit for nice wool suits. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Posting Limitations