Thread: El Alamo

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Mongers,

The hours of operation at El Alamo are 4pm-4am Monday-Thursday and 12pm-4am Friday-Sunday. There is never a big crowd or a minimum consumption charge before 6pm and on Sundays there is no minimum consumption charge at all. I would not recommend that older folks come after 8pm Wednesday-Friday as it will be extremely crowded and noisy. On Saturdays everything is relatively quiet until 11pm and until that hour the customers are mostly Americans watching sports and groups of well-behaved Argentines eating, drinking and socializing. There is a full food menu available everyday from opening until 3am.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Times

What we Need Is a time table!

When is it a good time for tourists to be at your place and what is the time when locals show up?

What is the Day hours for tourists and the night time hours for locals?

Or should I say old timers and Young timers?

I know I just repeated myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    I have been looking for ways to watch the All-Star game in Buenos Aires and it looks like El Alamo is my only option tonight. But after reading the comments here, it sounds like a bit of a sketchy place. Cover charges, overpriced, selective about who gets in etc. Is this place worth my time, or should I not bother? Does anyone have any alternatives?
    El Alamo is a good venue to watch live sports. Gets crowded on weekends but what place does'nt. The p30 they charge is redeemable for food / drinks.

Also, the staff are nice and they do a proper burger!

Yeah check it out but use the door on the left because each time I have been there the main doors have always been locked!

MH

Mongers,

These are the FACTS about El Alamo:

- All US and International sporting events are shown via US satellite feed.

- The prices are without a doubt the lowest in Recoleta.

- There is a minimum CONSUMPTION charge that is paid at the door, which is redeemable at face value for food and / or drink.

- There are no standards for admission to El Alamo; on weekend nights El Alamo is so popular with the locals that it always reaches its maximum capacity by 10pm; at that point a line forms and prospective customers must wait until a space opens up to enter. Known regulars and friends of the bar are allowed to skip the line and enter at their leisure.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    I have been looking for ways to watch the All-Star game in Buenos Aires and it looks like El Alamo is my only option tonight. But after reading the comments here, it sounds like a bit of a sketchy place. Cover charges, overpriced, selective about who gets in etc. Is this place worth my time, or should I not bother? Does anyone have any alternatives?
    Huh? Good food. Good atmosphere. Staff that actually is attentive. Not sure about the cover charge. There wasn't any when I was there last year watching the Pats vs. Colts in a great football game, and there was no one monitoring who was allowed in. I also didn't think it was expensive. In fact, I went to Madaho's later that night for an hour and spent ten times what I spent at El Alamo in three hours -- and didn't have as much fun, at least not until I left Madaho's.

Perhaps there are other alternatives. I'm no expert. But "El Alamo" and "sketchy" don't belong in the same sentence, in my opinion. It's a good place. I don't know what your standard for "expensive" is, but I would definitely not call it that, nor would I call it "sketchy."

Good luck, Stan

A good place to watch the MLB All-Star game?

Mongers,

El Alamo Medellin opened up on Thursday July 1st. It is the same concept and administered by the same management group as El Alamo Buenos Aires.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Quote Originally Posted by Full Throttle
    Stopped by late Friday night. I have no idea about the cover charge, but the two security guys wouldn't let us in because they said my friend had too much to drink. I have no idea what they based the decision on, as he never even spoke to them, was leading our little group to the door, and was extremely friendly even when they told him this. My opinion is they didn't want us there, perpaps because we would have skewed the demographics.

My buddy is a frequent visitor of the establishment. I used to be, but am 0-2 recently. Last time, a guy was talking about another X-Pat bar down the street which got him chastised by the owner. Then, another guy angled the monitor so he could see the crappy SlingBox feed better, which led to him getting chastised.

Love baseball and American history, but I think I'm moving El Alamo down a few notches on my BA consumption pattern.
    My understanding is that there is no cover charge, but it is a minimum only, I got confused my 1st time also.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

BsAs Premium Car Service in English

Alamo Medellin?

I'm headed back down to Med in a few weeks. Any old friends running this place or has someone 'borrowed' the name and concept. Med is way cool, love the place.

http://www.elalamomedellin.com/a/Welcome.html

Advice if you decide to go here: Ask to use the Spanish menu as prices are cheaper than the gringo menu.

I think the comment about American history was the name 'Remember the Alamo'. It even has that written on their advertising banner just near where it says 'open 24 hours'. I went there on a Tuesday at about 1pm for lunch, but they were closed! They support this forum so, hopefully, I will get a chance to support them and watch some of the world cup there once back in BA.

Cheers,

MH.

El Alamo in La Nacion

Mongers,

Here is a link to a nice article that was in today's La Nacion about the scene at El Alamo during the England v. USA football match this past Saturday.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1274544

Suerte,

Rock Harders

El Alamo

Something sounds a bit wrong here:

1. If you love american history and sports you likely to find neither after 2am on any night. This is when El Alamo is a young argentine bar and if you do not fit this demographic or want to be a part of it than it is no place to go.

2. El Alamo is by far the best place to watch any NA sporting event and am sure the world cup will be quite an event as well. I think I saw somebody lamenting no big hambergers at another establishment and these are very good (as well as other good sports / drinking food) as well.

I have spent a few years and much time at this establishment and have had few complaints. Maybe if my name was Mike Hunt and I said it very fast I would have a differnet opinion.

Stopped by late Friday night. I have no idea about the cover charge, but the two security guys wouldn't let us in because they said my friend had too much to drink. I have no idea what they based the decision on, as he never even spoke to them, was leading our little group to the door, and was extremely friendly even when they told him this. My opinion is they didn't want us there, perpaps because we would have skewed the demographics.

My buddy is a frequent visitor of the establishment. I used to be, but am 0-2 recently. Last time, a guy was talking about another X-Pat bar down the street which got him chastised by the owner. Then, another guy angled the monitor so he could see the crappy SlingBox feed better, which led to him getting chastised.

Love baseball and American history, but I think I'm moving El Alamo down a few notches on my BA consumption pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Harders
    Mongers,

The $20 pesos that is charged at the door at El Alamo is a minimum consumption fee and can be used to order anything on the menu whether it be food, drink, or any other product sold at the bar. On Thursday and Friday nights, the minimum consumption fee rises to $30 pesos for men and again can be used in its entirety to order anything on the menu. El Alamo accepts any hard currency at market rate in addition to Visa, Mastercard and Amex.

Suerte,

Rock Harders
    I went to Shoeless Joes 2 weeks ago on Monday night and was confronted with a30 p cover charge, I had not read the thread relating to this charge and the guys at the door could not tell me why they were charging it (they no english me not much spanish) so I left. If there had been a menu on display like 99% of other restuarants I could have made an informed decision to stay.

So I left and spent 140 p in Recoleta instead!

MH

Posting Limitations