Thread: The Subway System aka "El Subte"

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This blog is moderated by Fitzgeraldo

Last subte at most locations is at about 10:40pm.

Going by memory, the subway here was built around 1910 and is only about the 7th oldest in the world. Only a handful of European lines plus NYC were built earlier.

BA was considered a formidable rival to NYC as the "capital" of the Americas at that time. Its interesting to see some pictures of BA from that era - it looks like possibly the wealthiest, most sophisticated city in the world.

Off on a tangent - I speculate that many early European immigrants during that time came here to live the high life in the Paris of America, whereas the masses went to (probably less prestigious) USA to work in sweatshops. It just seems that a different class originally came here, generally speaking. Argentina is a severe left turn in the Atlantic coming from Europe. There must have been something significant that caused some Italians around 1900, forex, to choose USA and others Argentina. I believe that was before they had strong immigrant enclaves in either place.

Andres probably knows...

Subte

I use the subte all the time, it's dirt cheap and the trains arriver every 3-5 minutes, maybe a little longer on the weekends. The subway has one of the oldest lines in the continent I believe, the cars look like the cable cars in SF. Sometimes there are musicians in the cars playing tango, lots of ladies going home from work, the only thing is it stops running at 11:00 or 12:00, I forget.

3. 11-02-05 06:50

Subte and buses

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeraldo
    A very useful and reliable resource is the "10 viajes" tarjeta which will set you back AR$7-00.
    A single ticket costs 75 centavos. So a 10 "viajes" tarjeta should save you 50 centavos if that is important to you. I used the subte a few times on my last visit and it was very convenient. I still have not figure out the buses yet even though I have a bus guide – Guía T. They make too many turns for me to follow their routes.

The Subway System aka "El Subte"

As a believer in the get out and about philosophy, I recommend that you get outside of the trendy central areas. A very useful and reliable resource is the "10 viajes" tarjeta which will set you back AR$7-00. Very handy for getting around the city, and be availed of alongside buses and taxis. For examlple its the best way the the Alto Palermo centre from the centro, as the station stops directly below. The centre also has a good food hall. Tarjetas can be bought at stations directly.

Ftzg

Posting Limitations