Thread: El Establo - Microcenter - Paraguay 489

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This blog is moderated by EZE_Amante

Sts it is easier to post, than to see-

Menue of the day (today) in "El Establo": "Gran Fabada a la Asturiana" and "Callos a la Mdrileņa".

Tancat full, as usually. Recently opened a new place en Isidro.

Exedra is still closed. Buuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh whywhywhywhy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spassmusssein For This Post:

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    Hey, I hope you're right and I was walking the wrong street! Wouldn't be the first time!
    I walked Paraguay today and both Tan Cat and El Establo are there. Sorry for the head fake! Em bare assing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

There is another decent place on Paraguay: La Rienda. It's on Paraguay between Maipu and Esmeralda. Though, as is becoming far too common in BA now, a couple of crooks gun in hand walked in on Tuesday evening and robbed the place, customers and all.

I haven't been to town for a while but last time I was there Tancat was doing fine. It has typical Spanish cooking. I love the place.

http://www.clarin.com/inseguridad/asalto-metieron-companera-frigorifica-lastimaran_0_767923465.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aqualung For This Post:

Hey, I hope you're right and I was walking the wrong street! Wouldn't be the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    I'm going to go and see for myself but I'll bet you a beer that Tan Cat and El Establo are both open!

Tan Cat is almost 100% locals and it's very good and always full.

El Establo has too many tourist to close down.

TL

No Way!

I'm thinking Tancat was the name. Jeez, I hope I wasn't walking up some street other than Paraguay, and both El Establo and Tancat are still open. But, I don't think so.
    I'm going to go and see for myself but I'll bet you a beer that Tan Cat and El Establo are both open!

Tan Cat is almost 100% locals and it's very good and always full.

El Establo has too many tourist to close down.

TL

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

There was another long time restaurant on Paraguay, up towards Suipacha from El Establo, that is also history. I forget the name. Cigar Eric and Jackpot used to frequent the place. They both raved about the mushroom dish, though eventually Eric got a bad batch of shrooms and never returned.
    I'm thinking Tancat was the name. Jeez, I hope I wasn't walking up some street other than Paraguay, and both El Establo and Tancat are still open. But, I don't think so.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

And another

There was another long time restaurant on Paraguay, up towards Suipacha from El Establo, that is also history. I forget the name. Cigar Eric and Jackpot used to frequent the place. They both raved about the mushroom dish, though eventually Eric got a bad batch of shrooms and never returned.

Hard to Believe

Speaking of steak places and Exon, I was walking along Paraguay the other day and noticed that El Establo no longer exists.
    I have not passed by to see the truth but I can believe it!

The place was always "OK" but never the best.

I know the place and it was huge, double basement, shirtless boys peeling potatoes and 50 lomos in seran rap!

How could it fail?

I know why my resto-bar failed but theirs?

The resto biz is the most difficult in BA!

Too many liars, thieves and scoundrels!

The place was almost good and when I shut down I sent my friends there.

Sorry,

But Parrilla Pena can not hold a candle to La Cabrerra!

La Cab is the best in town!

Unknown secret.

Arrive at 645 pm and grab a table.

You get 40% off and that's American Time to Dine!

TL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

A few additions

Argento was and is spot on (no need for frequent updating).

I would add "ojo de bife" which is ribeye, to his list of cuts.

If you must have fish, you need to do your homework (no, really) and find one of the few spots that do it well. I have only had good sushi at one place (I think it was in Balvanera). Most of the clientele were Japanese expats. You can order sushi at lots of places in town, it just won't be very good and no matter what you order, you'll get cooked shrimp or smoked salmon.

Peruvian and norther Argentinian cuisine can be quite good (Locro). Make sure to order a Frenet and Coke so you can get the native experience (never mind that it tastes like sh*t).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Another one bites the dust

Speaking of steak places and Exon, I was walking along Paraguay the other day and noticed that El Establo no longer exists.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

The 3 P's.

In broad terms I agree with Argento's 3 P's though I'd add a 4th and that is Postre but only in the form of helados (ice cream) Made by Italians (or italian descent) from milk of cows grazed on the lush grass of the Pampas, you just can't beat it. A branch of Freddo (although named Freggo in the you. K. For trade mark / copyright reasons) has even opened in London next to the Gaucho restaurant, selling ice cream imported from Freddo Argentina. Yes, they actually import it.

Pasta I've found to be a bit hit and miss. I've often found it to be overcooked so insist on asking for it al dente and the sauce more picante. But you can find a good pasta in most countries, though I agree it's part of the staple diet in Argentina.

And I agree with Bundalover (even his name. Nothing like a Brazilian bunda! Regarding lamb. Grazed on the Pampas. You can't beart it. Just like New Zealand lamb. As for seafood, best to go down south for lobsters and trucha negra (trout) but agree, not part of the typical argentine diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bundalover1  [View Original Post]
    This is not completley correct. The situation is worse than described above. In general the pasta and pizza in BsAs is substandard. Don't worry about the medicore sauce as the crust will be flacid and the pasta overcooked. There are exceptions every now and then but for a town of significant Italian descendants Italian sucks. Compare to NYC, or Rio and it's impossible to understand. Talking about 'safe' sauces will give you some idea of the level of expectations. Remember to bring a dog with you if you want pizza so you can throw the crap they serve onto the floor and at least one in your party will be happy.

Lamb when roasted is just as good as the parrilla red meats but not easy to find.

Seafood- hmmmmmmmm I guess they import the fish from Chile because it is not a large part of their diet. Considerring the ocean and coastline there is no excuse for the lack of variety except to say the locals are idiots with respect to fish.

They consider vegatables not worthy of cooking except the highly regarded pumkin. Salad? Whats that? Check out the waist lines of the porkers eating at the tables next to you. Under 240 pounds? He is a tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by Argento  [View Original Post]
    I have said and posted several times but everyone has to discover it for themselves. Newcomers to the board all think that the permanent residents in Bs As are dumb in regard to restaurants and what to eat. It is not true and the current spate of postings on Milion is a very typical discussion. It gets discovered anew every other year or so. Be warned. The 3 things to eat in Bs As are pasta, (as good as the best fresh pasta anywhere in the world but the sauces generally suck, bolognese is the safest sauce. ; pizza and empanadas, (from the local owner-operator around the corner from where you are staying, not a chain. Keep it simple like a margarita or cheese and you will be safe. ; and lastly parilla, (Grilled meat and go for the bifes, (Porterhouse and T bones) Lomo, (fillet steak) chorizos, (Sausages that are fantastic) There are plenty of other great cuts of meat but you need to know your way around. Deviate from the 3 Ps and you are dying for disappointment. Never fish or lamb, never anything with a sauce, never anything with pretensions of grandeur and apart from Peruvian restaurants, never any ethnic food. And small local restaurants are best. All else they will generally f you see k up and charge you plenty for the privilege. K I S S is the operative word. OK?

Argento
    This is not completley correct. The situation is worse than described above. In general the pasta and pizza in BsAs is substandard. Don't worry about the medicore sauce as the crust will be flacid and the pasta overcooked. There are exceptions every now and then but for a town of significant Italian descendants Italian sucks. Compare to NYC, or Rio and it's impossible to understand. Talking about 'safe' sauces will give you some idea of the level of expectations. Remember to bring a dog with you if you want pizza so you can throw the crap they serve onto the floor and at least one in your party will be happy.

Lamb when roasted is just as good as the parrilla red meats but not easy to find.

Seafood- hmmmmmmmm I guess they import the fish from Chile because it is not a large part of their diet. Considerring the ocean and coastline there is no excuse for the lack of variety except to say the locals are idiots with respect to fish.

They consider vegatables not worthy of cooking except the highly regarded pumkin. Salad? Whats that? Check out the waist lines of the porkers eating at the tables next to you. Under 240 pounds? He is a tourist.

My favourite place

There do seem to have been a lot of negative reports about this place but I have eaten here many times and never had a bad experience.

There are better steaks to be found in BA but only if you are willing to pay a lot more for it. This place (for me at least) strikes the perfect balance between quality and price. I live on the other side of town now but still try to find the time to swing over for a steak, salad and a huge draft beer.

Palermo recommendation

Although I agree with much of the earlier statements about keeping it simple, I like Meridiano 58 in Palermo (Borges y El Salvador. It tries to do 'fancy' Argentine food and usually, they do it quite well.

A Palermo recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan  [View Original Post]
    You guys are doing it all wrong. Unless you're going to the restaurants in La Recova or Puerto Madero, the best restaurants (quality and quantity) are in Palermo.

Regards,

BM
    I was doing a little research today and come across Bad's general Palermo recommendation. I have some family making their first trip to BsAs in November and will be held accountable for my restaurant choices. And, I know next to nothing about the restaurant scene in Palermo. So, give me. Give me dem restaurant recommendations in Palermo. I'm looking for the quintessential, sophisticated Argie place for red meat, red wine. Price should not be a hindrance. If that place is not in Palermo tell me that too.

Much thanks.

Posting Limitations