Thread: El Establo - Microcenter - Paraguay 489

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
This blog is moderated by EZE_Amante
    I got a PM asking me how many times I have eaten at El Establo. The answer is three times. I was also asked to elaborate on what I thought was good and bad about it, and what I've eaten there.

The first time I was there I had bife de chorizo. It was overcooked and I think that was because it was of uneven thickness. I like my steak medium and only the thickest part was pink. I think most regular readers know I was a professional cook (not a "chef") for quite a while. When I was a broiler man, I would always "shape" my steaks at the beginning of the shift and that, I believe, was what was not done in this instance.

The second time I was there the evening was marred by an argument between two well-known mongers and by another monger's insistence on arguing over the price of everything. This monger, whose handle I do not know, is a real cock sucker who basically ruins every occasion he is involved with. I repressed this experience and do not remember what I ordered, but it was not steak. Actually I seldom eat steak, maybe once a month or so. I do remember there were some items on the bill that never arrived, and then a "discussion" about whether we should ask for them to be removed from the bill. I forget the outcome.

Last night I will say that we ordered three salads to share among five people and they were excellent and very good sized. Certainly the portions are ample at El Establo. I did not think the service was very good, maybe a C minus. Specifically, three of us got our main dishes and then there was a good ten minute lag before the other two guys got theirs. That is always awkward. Also, those who ordered ice in their drinks did not receive it. Another thing about the service was that one guy arrived just slightly late, like ten minutes, and the waiter came to take our order just a minute or so after he arrived. He (diner) still had his head in the menu and I asked the waiter for a little more time. He (waiter) pivoted rapidly on his heel and walked off without a word.

I really like the batatas fritas there; we had a side of them and they were excellent. OTOH my steamed or boiled potatoes, which came with my entree, were slightly undercooked. The two guys who ordered steaks both ordered them medium and they were definitely cooked correctly. Big son of a bitches too.

The bread is excellent there. The bathrooms are clean. I view the steaks as being slightly to moderately overpriced but I think for example the chicken dishes are bargain, as was my trout, which was quite large. I think the trout was around 16 pesos.

We did get complimentary limoncello after dinner. I guess I could just view the limoncello as costing three pesos and not complain about the cubierto. Works for me but one of the five diners does not drink and the other was downstairs and so did not get one.

I was basically of the mindset last night that I wanted to try the place one more time and if it was good, I would return and if it was bad I would not. It was neither. I would say I would not go out of my way to eat there again but would not avoid it either.

That is my unbiased review and is just the opinion of one fairly picky diner. Really, I am disappointed most of the time I eat in restaurants but certainly MUCH less so in BA than in SP where I had pretty much given up on eating out. Not to brag but I was a very good line cook by the time I had several years' experience and I can usually make whatever I would order in the average restaurant better than they can. I've fed a hell of a lot of mongers by now so if anyone who has tasted my cooking disagrees with that assessment, feel free to say so. So, dining out is mostly a social experience for me rather than a culinary one.

Talking lunch establo

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    I ate here last night and continue to think it is mediocre. Not bad, not great. However, while they may have a "professional wait staff," our waiter annoyed me greatly by whispering in my ear, "The tip is not included," when he handed me our change. Also they charge a 3 peso per person cubierto, which is another thing I find annoying.

My trout was tasty enough but overcooked.
    Perhaps you should try the chuletas de lomo.

What does it take to become a senior member?

P. S. Do not sit at my table. As you walk in to the left. The very last table next to the side door. I like it when bernie is the waiter.

Lunch? So that we can clear the air? At the establo of course.

Let me know. OJALA ACEPTES MI INVITACION....ASI NOS PODEMOS TOMAR UNA COPA DE CUATE A CUATE Y A LA VEZ PRINDAMOS POR "NO LLORES POR MI ARGENTINA" O NI POR EVITA PERON....

Take care and may god bless you.

Armbia

I ate here last night and continue to think it is mediocre. Not bad, not great. However, while they may have a "professional wait staff," our waiter annoyed me greatly by whispering in my ear, "The tip is not included," when he handed me our change. Also they charge a 3 peso per person cubierto, which is another thing I find annoying.

My trout was tasty enough but overcooked.

Diarrhea time

I love this place. Eat there several times a month. The beef is usually excellent. I like their mashed pumpkin and potato dishes. I especially like the "de rucula" salad. (Arugula, I think, in the US.) I've eaten it many times before without incident.

However, on my last visit (back yesterday) I had rucula before I left and brought another order to eat on the airplane ride back to the US.

Today I have diarrhea, which pisses me off, since I bought a non-refundable ticket to a local tennis tourney today and could not go because of that fucking rucula.

YMMV

Administrator

Venues: 398

I like it.

Greetings everyone,

El Establo is somewhat more expensive that some other places you can find in BA, but it is cheaper that any place in Recoleta (except Yugos) or Puerto Madero.

They also have a professional waiter staff, something that isn't always true in some tourist area restaurants.

In addition, they are centrally located for a lot of people. I'm thinking about rendezvousing there for an AMA meeting.

I like the place: I think they serve a respectable steak, and they know how to saute mushrooms.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Establo is just fine

El Establo is just fine for food and service.

Very dependable. Papa Benito is completly wrong here.

Twice so far.

I have eaten at El Establo twice so far this trip, bife de lomo and bife de chorizo, and both times have been good meals (too much food though) excellent service, a family style atmosphere, and a decent price. This has long been one of my favorite places for a steak, and I still recommend it over the much higher priced places in Puerto Madero. I have never eaten upstairs, but I have been up there as that is where the bathroom is, and the decor is the same, not sure of the service, but I'm sure it is fine.

My only complaint is that my appetite isn't what it once was, and I haven't been able to finish a steak yet. Next time I will order a half portion of the steak and potatoes. I've noticed on the last couple of trips, that this has become quite popular with regular tourists, and have heard many English speakers at tables close by.

I'll eat here again at least once more this trip.

EZE

El Establo is my favorite

I really like this place. Always had a great steak, however, sometimes the wine was not up to par. Pepe is one of the old waiters who looks like he has been there for 40 years! Those old guys are crusty but cool. He suggested that my colleague and I order one large beef de lomo and then cut it in half. It was so tender that he cut it with a spoon! The veggies are not so good, overcooked. Just try to order the sweet potato fries. You probalby will not get them unless you speak Spanish and insist.

You always get a free lemon cello after dinner that really tastes homemade.

There seem to be two rooms, I always go to the side entrance and sit with the older guys. Great atmosphere.

Justgotback,

Sorry you had a bad steak at El Establo. I have been there many times and never had a problem. I guess you are right, any restaurant can have an off night....but I feel badly for recommending a place that does not deliver!

While it should not have resulted in a well done steak (bien hecho), "a punto" is medium rather than rare. Try "poco cocido" or "jugoso" for rare.

So I decide to check out El Establo last night. I guess any restaurant can have an off night. It took over an hour for my food to arrive after I ordered it. I would have thought they forgot except the waiter kept coming by to appologize. That would have been OK if it was worth the wait. It wasnīt. I got the Bife Chorizo El Establo. It is a lot of food. I order apunto, rare, I got well done to the point of it being dry and chewy. I wasnīt the only one to have problems. While I was waiting a table across from me sent their steak back and while I was leaving, I heard the guy at the table next to me complaining about his steak as well. I would have sent mine back, but I didnīt feel like waiting around for another hour.

The good news, it got me downtown and hence to Cattoīs. Read my report on the 2004 Reports section.

MeGusta,

Very interesting. I will look a bit closer next time. My apt is only about 5 doors down San Martin!

Funny thing is that apparantly Dickhead was in there about the same time as D Rock and I and I did not know it!

Will eat there again fo sure.

One,

El Establo is one of my favorite downtown restaurants. If you are there in the evening, look around. Some of the women sitting at other tables are pros from nearby boliches. It is one of their favorites as well.

El Establo

Corner of San Martin and Paraguay in micro center.

Had a great meal last night with D Rock. We had Bife de lomo and bife de chorizo ī"El Establo" which is to say a plate complete.

We each had full cuts of meat cooked very well - at least 24-30 oz of bife. Served with home style potatoes, green bean and carroots sauteed, and a fried egg of all things and a large thick slice of bacon - almost english rasher like.

Each plato completo was 23 pesos. Added a nice bottle of vino tinto - Valmont - for 18 pesos. Afterwards free aperatif de maison which is a lemon liquor, very sweet.

Definately recommended.

OTH

I just want to 2nd the what Roxy mentioned about El Establo. It is just a block or two from Orleans, and has very reasonable prices probably because they don't go overboard on the decor. This place was recommended to a friend of the board by the now MIA Sandy, and we all loved the food. Great steaks, good wine list, great place for a late lunch or early dinner. If you sit by the window, you can enjoy your meal and the beautiful Porteņas that walk by.

EZE

Posting Limitations