Thread: Il Gran Caruso

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Hunt99

Thumbs up

I had a great dinner at Il Gran Caruso, an italian restaurant, but it's not located in Puerto Madero. It's in Gorostiaga between arce and soldado de la independencia in La Imprenta. May be they have two restaurants?

It's a very relaxing atmosphere, and elegant (most older) people were there, high society only, many arrived in jaguars and bentleys and they have valet parking. My chica and I really enjoy the time, she had "capeletti alla calabresa" and I "agnelotti" with elaborated and tasty sauces, a Famiglia Ruttini wine, and the service it's what you expect from a top-line italian restaurant. I had a tiramissu dessert served very old fashioned. Very reccomendable fancy restaurant for italian cusine lovers.

Total ticket P$ 510 plus tip. (a little high, but only the wine was P$440)

A dinner like this anywhere in europe it's the same (and even more) but in euros.

Inflation is really starting to kick in at this place. I ate here recently and the bill for two people, for a couple of plates of indifferent pasta and some small accompaniments, was 150 pesos. All it has going for it is its location, which is admittedly good, especially if you sit outside on a nice day or evening. However, because of the pricing I think it is now off of my recommended list.

Mo recommended a place not too far away from his apartment that I tried out my last trip. I think it's called, "La Americana" that while not deep dish, is the thickest crust I've seen in BA. Good quality, but I've actually come to prefer the thin crust stuff in BA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    A good Italian choice in Puerto Madero, next door to the Asia de Cuba disco and Hilton Hotel.

What particularly struck me was how very busy it was, even very late at night on Friday (more like early Saturday morning) Pizza was especially recommendable, even though you're only going to get on that's thin crust, Italian-style. (I've not yet found deep dish in BsAs)

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=1429
    Hi Hunt99,

Deep dish pizza is not a common option in BA, but you can nevertheless find thick dough pizza, more in the Napoli style. Some of them are good, some not so good. A typical, non-touristic place is "Las Cuartetas", in Corrientes Ave, between Maipu and Esmeralda (if memory serves). Otherwise, the original "Banchero" in the neighborhood of La Boca, "Angelin", in Cordoba Ave, a block before the raildroad crossing in Juan B. Justo Ave. Another typical place that used to offer a thicker pizza (you have to ask for it, otherwise the bring you the thin layered one) is "Los inmortales" (but only the main place, in Corrientes Ave and Uruguay in Tribunales). I'm pretty sure I'm missing many other places like these.

All the best,

Guille

Il Gran Caruso

A good Italian choice in Puerto Madero, next door to the Asia de Cuba disco and Hilton Hotel.

What particularly struck me was how very busy it was, even very late at night on Friday (more like early Saturday morning) Pizza was especially recommendable, even though you're only going to get on that's thin crust, Italian-style. (I've not yet found deep dish in BsAs)

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=1429

Posting Limitations