Thread: Taxis & Remis Services

+ Submit Report
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Smile Remis Executive Transfer

I can strongly recommend my friend Oscar Carrizo (15-5036-0188; o_carrizo@hotmail. Com) who is completely reliable and professional. He has never been so much as a minute late, and will never try to overcharge. Only problem is that his English is somewhat limited, so it is easiest if you speak a little Espanol.

Ana was to drive me to the airport on my last trip. She called a few hours before the scheduled time and told me she was tied up with other things. Instead she would send her friend for me. Well her friend (named Aulgar?) arrived right on time to my hotel and got me to the airport with no problem. Even though he did not speak much English but he was a nice guy nevertheless. During the ride Ana called my cell to make sure her friend had picked me up and everything was ok. There is no other remis service in BA for me other than Ana.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sopio
    I booked Ana for my arrival last Sunday, but she didn't show up. Instead,

She sent an older lady who spoke almost no English. I was quite disappointed. It would be cheaper to take a taxi. A bad start for my trip to BA, and it has been downhill since then.
    I believe that since Ana is so popular, and also because she is only one person, that there will be occasions like this. Notice that she did not leave you hanging but sent you someone in her place. Sorry. Don't see that she did anything wrong here.

I booked Ana for my arrival last Sunday, but she didn't show up. Instead, she sent an older lady who spoke almost no English. I was quite disappointed. It would be cheaper to take a taxi. A bad start for my trip to BA, and it has been downhill since then.

Radio Taxi

Hey, I have to comment on this. I don't know this ana, so I won't comment on her.

The taxis here in Argentina also operate grouped by comapnies. This taxis are called "radio taxis" because all of them have a radio on them where they get the calls for services.

The best I know of is "Radio Taxi Premium", (5411)5238-0000. You can call when the plane lands and you'll have the driver waiting for you, with your name on a sign. Trip from airport to downtown, AR$36 plus toll. On the phone they speak enghlish, you can also request for a english speaker driver. Great service, really.

My 2c

English Speaking Taxi

I having been using an english speaking taxi driver since 8/02. He is a decent , honest guy. Gerardo's mother was an American who married a Porteno. He spoke english at home as a kid and is fully bilingal. This guy is not a car service like Ana who is afiliated with the Mansion. He is a taxi driver who only works 7am to 7 pm, monday to saturday. He charges either the meter or an hourly rate--around 10 pesos, depending upon the service. I use him for some interpreting.
    HE is not a professional interpreter--lacking in business vocabilary. He is not a slick tour guide, but you can get a working guy's city tour. Capt Dave can give you better mongering advise.

Gerardo is great for running around town doing shopping or appointments or a trip to the Unicenter Mall. You call him by cel and he's usually there soon or you can call him ahead of time.

For an industrial strength mongering trip, use ANA for your AIRPORT RUN. She will set the proper mood in a way that
    Gerardo could never do!

GERARDO 15 5375 0542 IN BA CEL
    From the usa 54911 5375 0542
    The cel is on 7am to 7pm.

bob

Administrator

Venues: 398

Taxis & Remis Services

Taxi Services

Taxi services are one of the great little things about visiting or living in Buenos Aires. The black and yellow taxis are everywhere, and very easy to use. The vast majority of taxi drivers in Buenos Aires courteous, know the city well, always use the meter, and always expect to give you exact change, etc. Tipping is not required, although it is typical to round up the fare to the next peso as a tip.

I've had my share of arguments and problems with taxi drivers throughout the world, arguments running the usual gauntlet from wanting to drive off the meter (so you can then argue about the fare later), not knowing the city, not having change, taking a circuitous route, steering you to clubs where they get a commission, etc. However, in visiting and living in Buenos Aries for several years, I have never encountered a single problem with a cab driver in Buenos Aires.

I've told you all the good things about using taxis in Buenos, now let me give you one word of caution: As much as I appreciate the efficiency of Buenos Aires taxi system, a small number of taxi drivers have established themselves as one of the two most common sources of counterfeit pesos in the city. You know this scenario: You and your buddies (or your chica de noche) are getting out of a cab at night. Your buddies (or your chica) are waiting impatiently as you pay the driver. Your attention is diverted to the street and the anticipation of your impending fun, so you hand the driver a bill and hurriedly take the change, giving it only a cursory glance to verify that the amount is correct. This is where they get you! You're in a hurry, so you stuff the change in your pocket and take off, only to discover later that the bartender or the chica won't accept your counterfeit bills, which they can so easily spot from across the room.

The point here is that it is at these moments that you need to take just second to examine the currency you get as change. First test: Hold it up to the light and look for the silhouette embedded in the currency. All the taxi's have a light near the passenger side door for exactly this purpose. For those of you who are unaccustomed or simply too embarrassed to imply that the person you just received change from would even think about giving you a counterfeit bill, consider this: Everyone that you give peso notes to is going to examine them, right in front of you, for exactly the same reason. Just watch, they do it every time, all the time, so don't feel shy about examining every bill you get: It's an acceptable practice.

BTW, the other major source of counterfeit pesos is the clubs and boliches, but that's a topic of another thread.

Remis Services

A remis is a rented car with a driver, commonly known in the larger cities in the USA as a car service. Using remis services is very common practice by Buenos Aires residents, many of whom have a favorite service that they use regularly. The concept is simple: You call your favorite remis service, and they send a car to your location a few minutes later. The remis will take you to your destination, wait there if you wish, then continue to drive you where ever you wish to go from there, etc. It's simple.

The price is roughly the same as a taxi, although they do not have meters, so you usually have to negotiate the fare, either while you are on the telephone, or at the end of the trip.

One great benefit of using remis services is that they can stay with you for several hours, waiting patiently outside your destination until you are ready to return. The fare for waiting with the engine off is typically somewhere around 10 to 15 pesos per hour.

Remis services are typically one-office business, scattered throughout the city, typically scheduling independent car/driver combinations. To my knowledge there are no large remis service companies.

To find a remis service near your location, you might ask at the front desk of your hotel, or simply keep any eye out for a local remis service office near you.

The only real drawback to using a remis service: They rarely speak English, and thus ordering a remis by phone can be somewhat difficult if you don't speak some Spanish.

Posting Limitations