Thread: Taxis & Remis Services

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Taxi Rate increase by 21% on June 1st?

Hello,

I've been quoted by a cab (that I used before) 350 pesos for an EZE to Microcentro cab ride for June 12.

He told me the reason for this big increase is inflation, and Taxi Rate increase by 21% on June 1st.

Is he correct?

Good price? Or should I negotiate him down or take another one?

Quote Originally Posted by WildWalleye  [View Original Post]
    This subject should probably have its own thread.

When in Argentina, one should always keep in mind that "fleecing the gringo" is in their DNA. It isn't that they 'want' to do it, they have to do it. Most of the corporate, upper-crusty folks that I know in Argentina try to discourage Americans from doing business in Argentina. It isn't that they don't want foreign investment, it is more that they don't want another gringo to get fleeced and go home and tell the world about it and perpetuate the stereotype (which is based upon some truisms).
    Another point is when they fleece one of their own, the Argie will laugh and think Oh well they got over on me! But a Gringo when fleeced and when he is aware will tend to raise holy hell and if its a big enough item your talking lawyers, etc. Etc. Something most Argies would never do.

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    ...the difference in the definition of 'honesty' in Argentina...
    This subject should probably have its own thread.

When in Argentina, one should always keep in mind that "fleecing the gringo" is in their DNA. It isn't that they 'want' to do it, they have to do it. Most of the corporate, upper-crusty folks that I know in Argentina try to discourage Americans from doing business in Argentina. It isn't that they don't want foreign investment, it is more that they don't want another gringo to get fleeced and go home and tell the world about it and perpetuate the stereotype (which is based upon some truisms).

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBob  [View Original Post]
    http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/eng/tarifas

This a reliable car service with a large stand outside of where you leave customs. Taxi ezeiza will be a bit more than a street taxi, but is very reliable--no scams. No thieves..

VIP has a stand right outside the custom's door where there are a few booths--this is the area before you see taxi ezeiza. They will have a price simular the taxi ezeiza and also have a very good rreputation and have been well reviewed before.

If you want to highest level of service and a large comforable car for a number of people with luggage, then the english speaking staff at star limo is for you. They are reviewed below. Fred, the owner, is an active participant or at least was when this board was far more active than it is now. If you contact fred in advaqnce, he will even help with buying pesos at an excellent rate. Fred is a class act, but more $.
    I agree. Service is good and always works.

Taxi Rates now

From EZE to Buenos Aires rate still about 270 Pesos or has it gone up in last few months?

Thanks,

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    About exactly a year ago when I changed money at the airport it took about 40 minutes. And I don't think that's an exaggeration.

Bob.
    It all depends on the line. Forty minutes might be quick some days! You could always pull a few pesos out at the ATM in the lobby. I never noticed a long line there.

Changing Money at the Airport (EZE)

About exactly a year ago when I changed money at the airport it took about 40 minutes. And I don't think that's an exaggeration.

Bob.

Yep, if you're happy to pay in USD. If you can pay with pesos it's only going to cost you 270, which you can buy for 25 USD at the blue rate. Even if you change some USD at the official rate at the airport, the 270 pesos is only going to cost you 40 USD.

Whether you're that bothered about the differences at the start of your journey is a purely personal thing of course. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGetti  [View Original Post]
    I am going to arrive in BA Jan 22,2014 for my first visit. I have been given an estimate of 45 USD for a remise to take me & my wife from EZE to retiro (near theater colon). Is this reasonable? I think that it is too much. I am willing to pay if it is fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esten  [View Original Post]
    Going rate for official taxi from EZE is $46 USD, so your estimate is comparable.
    Yep, if you're happy to pay in USD. If you can pay with pesos it's only going to cost you 270, which you can buy for 25 USD at the blue rate. Even if you change some USD at the official rate at the airport, the 270 pesos is only going to cost you 40 USD.

Whether you're that bothered about the differences at the start of your journey is a purely personal thing of course. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]
    Lets not malign one country's name. Its about individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caricoso  [View Original Post]
    Well, I wasn't going to rise, but what the hell!

In 1963 the president of the US was shot and killed....that doesn't necessarily make the US the most dangerous place in the world to be a politician. Quoting one person's experience isn't a statistically viable way to suggest one place is as bad as another (although not as pathetic as re-quoting it, as if that's absolute proof.....ha, ha, ha!).

Just going by considerable personal experience over a period of 40+ years, I've lived in 5 different countries on 4 different continents and visited 50+ other countries for varying lengths of time and I'm confident in maligning THIS country's name when it comes to how likely you are to get robbed. There may well be worse places in the world, but I've yet to visit them. And a quick google for robbery statistics gives this result - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rob-crime-robberies - of course, you can't believe ALL statistics eg. I don't believe Argentina's only the second worst country in the world, although never having spent any length of time in Chile I'll begrudgingly accept it.

You mention a nephew who got robbed a few months ago in Manhattan - for each one of your nephew and anybody else you know personally who's been robbed in the US, I promise you I can give you 10 examples of people getting robbed here, in a similar time-frame, that I know personally.

For you to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    I define honesty in an airport taxi as "They won't force you out of the car on the highway at gunpoint and drive off with your shit." Expecting the average driver to not think of your bag left in his car as an early Christmas present is not going to happen with anybody except Silver Star.

Not saying you're expectations are unrealistic in most of the world brother, but here? Having a driver return with your valuables is going to be the exception, never the rule.
    This is from Member #3320.

Talking of "honesty" ?

Few months ago, my 20 year old nephew arrived from JFK to Manhattan and as he got out of the car after paying the cab driver. The cab driver ran away with all his luggage!

The Manhattan police refused to help despite being provided with the cab number. They just said, cab driver does not have your luggage.

Shit can happen anywhere / everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Esten  [View Original Post]
    That sucks 3320, hope your nephew eventually got his luggage back. I assume he contacted the taxi company.
    He and the the elders in the family contacted every one.taxi company, police etc...but no help.the poor boy lost his laptop, data, clothes, books, camera, money etc.and was really devastated.

That sucks 3320, hope your nephew eventually got his luggage back. I assume he contacted the taxi company.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGetti  [View Original Post]
    I am going to arrive in BA Jan 22,2014 for my first visit. I have been given an estimate of 45 USD for a remise to take me & my wife from EZE to retiro (near theater colon). Is this reasonable? I think that it is too much. I am willing to pay if it is fair.
    Going rate for official taxi from EZE is $46 USD, so your estimate is comparable.

Just pointing it out for those that don't understand the difference in the definition of 'honesty' in Argentina. ;-)
    Talking of "honesty" ?

Few months ago, my 20 year old nephew arrived from JFK to Manhattan and as he got out of the car after paying the cab driver. The cab driver ran away with all his luggage!

The Manhattan police refused to help despite being provided with the cab number. They just said, cab driver does not have your luggage.

Shit can happen anywhere / everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    I define honesty in an airport taxi as "They won't force you out of the car on the highway at gunpoint and drive off with your shit." Expecting the average driver to not think of your bag left in his car as an early Christmas present is not going to happen with anybody except Silver Star.
    Oh god yeah....I wasn't really expecting to get the bag back! Just pointing it out for those that don't understand the difference in the definition of 'honesty' in Argentina. ;-)

Honestly

Meh, ymmv!
    I once left a bag in one of their cars, got the controller to call the driver within 5 minutes of realizing it and he denied it was there. He'd obviously already opened it and found the camera and radio and decided he'd like to keep them.

Not saying you're expectations are unrealistic in most of the world brother, but here? Having a driver return with your valuables is going to be the exception, never the rule.

Posting Limitations