Thread: Familiar USA Supermarket Brands

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This blog is moderated by AllIWantIsLove

No USA style hamburgers at El Alamo that I've eaten so far. McDonalds in Recoleta Village is like any McDonalds world wide, so the quarter pounder there which they call the doble quarto tastes pretty much like any 1/4 pounder back in the states, with just a slight taste in meat difference with more lomo and less ground beef taste to it, but not much.

culinarily challenged

Moore-

When I first began living in Buenos Aires, I had no idea how to cook anything that would resemble edible food. However, I got tired of eating out for every single meal so I learned a few simple techniques that involved almost no cleaning up, which I despise. Go to a Disco supermarket and buy yourself a teflon coated stovetop ridged grill ($55AR roughly) You just put it on top of the gas range and the thing cooks meat pretty well. I would buy whole lomo and cut it half, trim it, slice it into cookable pieces, and the meat would come out pretty f'in good. The same could be easily done if burgers are your preferred vice, as they sell all varieties of ground meat at all decent supermarkets.

I do not have any experience eating burgers at restaurants in Buenos Aires (I don't like burgers in general) but I bet that the closest thing to an Amercan style burger that you crave is at Kansas, El Alamo, or McDonald's / Burger King- I am sure you are aware of this. There is a sleazy burger joint that is dirt cheap (food and beer) at the corner of Cordoba and Montevideo directly across Montevideo from the Shell Station- I cannot attest to the quality, but it is a lunchcounter kind of place where they cook the food right in front of you and it is all locals in there. Also, there is a place on Rodriguez Pena between Marcelo T and Santa Fe called Patty that is a hamburger place- I think this is a chain.

Suerte,

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    If you really want some of this stuff, why not make it yourself? Pancakes and eggs are as simple as they get. You know (or ought to know) that there's no IHOP in Buenos Aires. The ingredients for a good ground sirloin steakburger are on sale in every supermarket in town.
    Mostly because I'm "culinarily" challenged. Very bad case. Although I'm decent with a grill for the burgers. Big problem though - there is no grill at my building.

If you really want some of this stuff, why not make it yourself? Pancakes and eggs are as simple as they get. You know (or ought to know) that there's no IHOP in Buenos Aires. The ingredients for a good ground sirloin steakburger are on sale in every supermarket in town.

My post was not a joke PappyBenito, I knew you'd say something like that based on your compulsive comments to me over the last few months.

Although I congratulate you for not mentioning Amstel Light, Cleveland, or Dennys. Theres a first time for everything. You're finally getting over that fetish apparently.

Serious responses only please.

USA Food

Does anyone know if the following exist in BA:

1) Real US breakfast (I mean the works - loaded omlettes, real bacon, biscuits, pancakes, maple syrup, waffles, sausage, hashbrowns, salsa). I would guess maybe a huge hotel catering to US businessmen like Hilton might serve?

2) A real deli (Subway is not a deli)

3) I would ask about TexMex but have given up based on the places I've tried here.

4) A real burger (grilled 0.5pound sirloin, purple onions, good bun, no eggs ontop like Ive seen here, etc). Hunt99 posted a place but Im not sure if he was serious.

Thx,

Moore

Thanks Bob

I appreciate your replying to my post.

I forgot to mention that my apartment is in El Centro, so anyone else who can answer my question, it will be appreciated.

Suerte.

Stowe

Pancake mix.

Pancakes are almost impossible to make from scratch. You need to find some rare and exotic ingredients like flour, salt, baking powder, eggs, and milk.

However, although I usually keep such exotic and valuable information to myself, just this once I will part with it.

(Apologies to Dickhead, who does this kind if thing in his sleep.

Put some flour (+/- 2 cups) in a bowl, add an egg (or 2 if small) some salt, some baking powder (polvo para hornear - about 1 short teaspoon is plenty) 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and a little sugar in a bowl. Add enough milk to make it look right (a cup or two) and stir it. DO NOT STIR IT TOO MUCH or you'll be sorry - just enough to mix it all up. If it doesn't have lumps in it you stirred it too much.

Heat a pan good and hot (a drop of water should "dance" not boil) and have at it.

If you want to get fancy, separate the whites from the yolks, beat them, and fold them in just before you cook the pancakes.

Now maple syrup is another story - I have to smuggle it in from the states, having found it nowhere in BsAs.

Good luck.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Member #1164
    Anyone know where I can get some pancake mix?

Supermarket Locations

Jumbo has a web site, http://www.jumbo.com.ar/jumbomas/default.jsp, and the others probably do too. The Jumbo in Palermo is in a mall with other stores, one of which is named "easy," and someone here, I forget who at the moment, described it, IIRC, as a Home Depot or Lowes.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stowe
    Making another trip down there soon and want to do some shopping in the larger markets. Can the addresses of the large markets be found in the phone book?

I know that there are many businesses that are not in the Buenos Aires phone book, so if they are not, I would have to get the addresses another way.

Like ask you guys!

Suerte,

Stowe

Anyone know where I can get some pancake mix?

Supermarket locations

Making another trip down there soon and want to do some shopping in the larger markets. Can the addresses of the large markets be found in the phone book?

I know that there are many businesses that are not in the Buenos Aires phone book, so if they are not, I would have to get the addresses another way.

Like ask you guys!

Suerte,

Stowe

A Trip to WalMart

I ventured to WalMart yesterday. A few notes which you might find helpful.

To find out which train to take I consoluted this web site: http://www.xcolectivo.com.ar/. It turns out that you need the Línea Mitre from Retiro. Take a copy of the map available here:
    http://www.wal-mart.com.ar/constituyentes.asp (Thanks! Guiller)

Many of the stations along the way did not seem to be clearly identified. But the Pueyrredon station was. The map does not show the train station, so you need to know how to find J. G. Artigas. It couldn't be easier (once you know the following): J. G. Artigas is the street which the train crosses just as it it pulling into the station. So just walk to the end of the platform (in the direction of the street of course) and turn left there.

An interesting thing which I noticed on the way back is that the Jumbo in Palmero is at the 3 de Febrero station on the way to and from Pueyrredon. So you could easily hit WalMart and the Jumbo at Palmero on the same trip.

Good Luck, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Go
    Unlike the US, cereal isn't an adult food in Buenos Aires so the cereal brands are quite limited. The only brand I like is Quadritos which are similar to Oat Squares.
    Hi there,

There is a local brabd of cereals that I lik: the company that produces them is called "Tres Arroyos". The other local brand that I can recommend is "Granix". Why don't you give them a try?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Does Walmart deliver the goods? To Recoleta? I had my first grocery shopping experience at Disco. I am sure damn amusing to those watching me! Even more amusing to whomever I spoke with on the phone after an hour of waiting for delivery (about the usual wait I found out) I heard Jumbos in Palermo was good, not only for groceries, but alot of other things. Where the hell is my favorite cereal? Ah, the adjustment phase.
    Unlike the US, cereal isn't an adult food in Buenos Aires so the cereal brands are quite limited. The only brand I like is Quadritos which are similar to Oat Squares.

Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Guiller
    PS: here's a link to Walmart Argentina. There is a host of useful information there, as product listings, addresses, etc.

http://www.wal-mart.com.ar/

This is the link corresponding to the only branch in Buenos Aires city:

http://www.wal-mart.com.ar/constituyentes.asp

It includes directions on how to get there.

Cheers!
    Does Walmart deliver the goods? To Recoleta? I had my first grocery shopping experience at Disco. I am sure damn amusing to those watching me! Even more amusing to whomever I spoke with on the phone after an hour of waiting for delivery (about the usual wait I found out) I heard Jumbos in Palermo was good, not only for groceries, but alot of other things. Where the hell is my favorite cereal? Ah, the adjustment phase.

Hi Doggboy,

I don't know if Walmart delivers, but if they do, I'd be very surprised to learn that they deliver to such a wide area, given that the Walmart stores in Buenos Aires are nowhere near Recoleta. My point is that the grocery stores that do deliver do have very strict limitations on their delivery areas.

Yes, the typical wait for delivery is 1 to 2 hours. Also remember that most grocery stores stop taking orders for delivery after 7:30 to 8:30 pm (it depends on each store's closing hours).

Jumbos in Palermo is a good place to shop. It's a big store, and the mall also includes a large Easy store, which is an Argentina version of a Home Depot.

Granola is available.

Thanks,

Jackson

Posting Limitations