Thread: OmniBus (Long Distance)

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Moore

Buses - good

Right. I took the bus from BA to Cordoba, from Cordoba to santa Fe, from Sant Fe to Rosario and from Rosarioo to BA in te last 10 days or so. All buses left on the dot and 2 arrived early due to light traffic. A pleasant ride with great sleeping seats, especially on the 9hr BA to Cordoba run.

Buses go all the time. Just went to the termial and never had to wait more than about 1hr. Today it was 10 mins from the time I got to the station to the time the bus left.

OmniBus (Long Distance)

This week I took an omnibus for the first time - I went to Mar del Plata. The service was quite good, the bus left exactly at its scheduled departure time both ways, and there were no delays. The trip is about 5 hours. Last time I went to MDP I flew and the door-to-door trip was about 3 hours, even though the actual flight is less than one hour, but airports require much more time than bus/train stations.

The bus itself was not brand new but it was well maintained. Seats are about the size of a first class airplane seat and recline very well - I slept part of the way. I felt cold during much of the trip since the AC was strong and I was in my beach clothes. The bathroom was a suitable hole to piss in although I would not want to sit down in there.

The RT cost was p72, pretty damn cheap. The AA flight normally costs about p400 (last week it would have cost p600 since only 1st class was available). Here is a link to the omnibus companies:

http://www.intertournet.com.ar/terminales/retiro.htm

I used El Condor, which I believe is one of the major lines. I called them at 4313-6042 and purchased my tickets over the phone with my Visa. I just picked them up at Retiro a few minutes before my bus left for MDP. Very smooth.

This is a good way to travel IMO for distances under 500km. Travelling by bus to Rosario (300km) is probably faster/easier than flying. Also, if you're going somewhere like Pinamar or Carilo that is not serviced by a major airport/airline, the bus is surely the way to go. There are nonstop buses going there, whereas flying you'd have to go first to MDP and then drive an hour+ back up the coast.

Taking the bus seems a very common way to travel for many Argentines. It surprises me to hear some friends say they take the bus to Bariloche or Brazil for their holiday, and these are often lawyers or businesspeople that I assume earn a good salary. Bariloche is about a 20 hour ride! Going there I take the 2 hour direct flight for US$200something.

Posting Limitations