Thread: Best Areas to Rent-Buy-Live in Buenos Aires

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by HerdBull  [View Original Post]
    I have been looking on the internet prior to my arrival, and there are nice historic buildings in Monserrat with really cheap prices. It is close to everything.

Any opinions?
    I've lived in Monserrat for the last 3½ years (renting). You're right, it is close to everything and as I live here by choice I guess I shouldn't complain. But. It is very noisy and very shabby! If I had the money to buy a place I think I'd be looking for somewhere a bit quieter and cleaner in the north of the city.

I'm still biased towards Soho

Palermo Viejo refers to both Hollywood and Soho, so I'm not sure what else to call the part that isn't Hollywood, as Viejo is bigger than Soho.

Recent article in Clarin referred to streets around Armenia, Malabia, Gurruchaga as being Palermo Brooklyn, due to old traditional cafes and restaurants closing and (in much opinion far better) real French cafes and more trendy restaurants opening up. It's not only the real estate people making these names up.

I have spent a lot of time in Soho, so this last trip I decided to try Hollywood...big mistake. Hollywood has not developed like I thought it would, except for endless modern, poorly constructed highrises.

Meanwhile Soho has much stricter density regulations, so the areas inside of Paraguay and Cabrera are so much nicer than Hollywood now. Hollywood is great if you want to build a highrise or put in a studio, but not for living, imo.

I rented a great apartment in Colegiales once, a famous old building that has a park on top of it. Close to Dorrego. Easy walk to Belgrano. Loved that place, but still too far from the really good cafe and bar scene in Soho. Might be perfect for herdbull's needs though.

I am biased towards my own needs, as a single guy I like to be no more than a 5 minute walk from cafes where I can sit and work via internet, while watching an endless parade of pretty women walk by. That's Soho.

Herdbull may indeed be better off in a quieter spot, but I was thinking if things don't work out and he ever needs to rent that apt...demand outside of recoleta and palermo is probably 90% lower.

San telmo is interesting, but no way in hell would I live or buy there. Not comfortable walking around at night. Not as much nightlife. A friend of mine bought there and he regrets it now.

I am all for finding the up and coming neighbourhoods, but it seems to me that the gentrification has stopped or gone backwards in some areas, like Hollywood. I wouldn't want to wait another 10 years for a place to become really enjoyable to live.

If Soho apts were $500 k I could see balking at that (I know some of the new big highrises are in that range) but at $150 k to $250 k I think the best investment will be as it always has been, location, location, location.

I'd buy overlooking Plaza Armenia if I was going to, and I might, if I can get that really good deal in the next 6 months.

How about Monserrat?

I have been looking on the internet prior to my arrival, and there are nice historic buildings in Monserrat with really cheap prices. It is close to everything.

Any opinions?

There are some remodels which are cheap by any standard.

http://www.enbuenosaires.com/venta/m...at-253013.html

I may have misunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by Frankandstein  [View Original Post]
    I kind of like Colegiales, but it's light years away from Palermo Soho in terms of desirability. Location means Soho, without question. No tourist wants to rent a place in colegiales, all of them want Soho (if you need that, eventually).
    I thought he wanted a place for the knocked up F / A and kid. If it's family Colegiales, if it's single party guy then Palermo. I refuse to use the term Palermo Soho, there is no Housten Street to be south of, maybe NOCO (North of Cordoba) but that's stupid because it's all north of Cordoba. I can live with Hollywood because all those radio stations are there as well as Viejo because everything there is old but SoHo is a marketing term started by real estate people to raise prices.

The SE side of Colegiales is a 20 min walk, 10 min bike ride, 5 min 15 peso Taxi ride away from P Serrano or you could just take the 39 X3 bus. For long term value I think Colegiales is much better. There are tons of nice new buildings pushing right up to Dorrego and with Palermo so expensive and Belgrano just as bad Colegiales is going to become more gentrified. Mostly because it has much better access to public transportation. It's on both the Mitre and Suarez line, the D subte, and about 10,000 busses. You could also go down the hill a little on La Croze on the other side of Cabildo towards Libratador, that's really pretty down there with tons of trees.

Again though if it's going to be just you, any part of Palermo is better. Closer to Micro, more stuff.

Mis dos centavos.

Thanks for the replies.

I like the Colegiales and Palermo Soho areas, definitely on the list. Palermo Soho seems pretty expensive, but is probably worth it, no? Location is everything.

I had heard the same things about montevideo and punta del este on several other boards. Buenos is a far more appealing place, especially if you have foreign income right now.

A question: how do I get enough USD into the country for a transaction without going through a bank? I guess I could use xoom.com and transfer into a bank at the blue rate? Or do some people accept USD via a transaction in the states? The only property down there I have purchased was from an american, which made to transaction simple. The money never left the US.

Hard to time this

Right now you could get a screaming deal because you have USD.

After elections in October the word is the official rate will be allowed to catch up most of the way to the blue rate, so the USD advantage may wane.

I'd be looking now, and in fact I am thinking about it myself, and be ready to jump in a few months.

I've been all over BsAs, and the place that just continues to get better, is Palermo Soho, NOT Hollywood. They have finally built the Polo technical building by the tracks, wiping out the huge eyesore of abandoned buildings there. Another huge building is going up beside that one. A shopping center is going up on Godoy Cruz between Charcas and santa fe. They are renovating the old bodegas at paraguay and godoy cruz. Already a cool bar there ("Godoy" Hottest bar in BsAs is Rose bar at Honduras, just before the tracks. It has the big 'after office' party on thursdays and is THE place to be Saturday night. (Closed other nights). Indoor outdoor amazing bar. Have to dress well to get in.

Going to be a rough year or two, but in 5 years, this part of palermo is going to be the best place to live in BsAs by far.

Celegiales

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBull  [View Original Post]
    I knocked up a Brazilian airline stewardess in Dubai a few years ago (number 6 for me, for those keeping score). Anyway, she wants to stay home with the bambino and Brazil is pretty much a shit hole and very expensive. I own some ag property in Argentina already and she loves Buenos.

I plan to buy a two bedroom apartment, preferably near a park for the boy to play and get some Sun. A quiet street at night but close to some night life and shops. She will let me go out to apartamentos, etc., as long as I don't bring anyone home. (South American girls are awesome, no?) If affordable, I might buy a second nearby tiny studio for what the "upper crust" back home in West Texas refer to as a "fuck shack".

San Telmo looks really good. A place near Palermo Hollywood, but in a more quiet location might also be an option. Recoleta and Retiro seem to be too expensive. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I might consider Montevideo and Punta del Este, as well, but it seems like good deals can be had in Buenos right now and maybe even more so in the next few months. Been to Buenos several times, but was not looking for real estate and did not pay much attention. Really just found a few apartamentos and beer joints and never came up for air.

Basically my criteria are: less than 300 k, at least two bedrooms, reasonably nice finishes or older character / charm, quiet at night, safe area, near a park or parks. I will only be living with her part time. Have to travel for business and be in the states once a month or so.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    More towards Cabildo not Cordoba. Lots of private schools, subway, train, parks, not many clubs. It's a buffer between Belgrano and Palermo.

Advice solicited on apartment location.

I knocked up a Brazilian airline stewardess in Dubai a few years ago (number 6 for me, for those keeping score). Anyway, she wants to stay home with the bambino and Brazil is pretty much a shit hole and very expensive. I own some ag property in Argentina already and she loves Buenos.

I plan to buy a two bedroom apartment, preferably near a park for the boy to play and get some Sun. A quiet street at night but close to some night life and shops. She will let me go out to apartamentos, etc., as long as I don't bring anyone home. (South American girls are awesome, no?) If affordable, I might buy a second nearby tiny studio for what the "upper crust" back home in West Texas refer to as a "fuck shack".

San Telmo looks really good. A place near Palermo Hollywood, but in a more quiet location might also be an option. Recoleta and Retiro seem to be too expensive. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I might consider Montevideo and Punta del Este, as well, but it seems like good deals can be had in Buenos right now and maybe even more so in the next few months. Been to Buenos several times, but was not looking for real estate and did not pay much attention. Really just found a few apartamentos and beer joints and never came up for air.

Basically my criteria are: less than 300 k, at least two bedrooms, reasonably nice finishes or older character / charm, quiet at night, safe area, near a park or parks. I will only be living with her part time. Have to travel for business and be in the states once a month or so.

Any advice would be appreciated!

If you are staying for a longer term you should also consider Belgrano. Belgrano is a very nice area and more residencial. Also Palermo is very nice and portenos talk about many Palermos (Alto Palermo, Palermo Viejo, Palermo Nuevo, Barrio Parque, las Canitas, la Imprenta, etc) Living in BA for 7 years and I lived in Versailles, Barrio Norte, Recoleta and las canitas and my favorite is La Imprenta. La Imprenta is a more stylish neighborhood with boutiques, nice shops, easy going people and best of all close to the Palermo parks, Palermo lakes, golf course, Buenos Aires Tennis lawn, the race tracks, the polo fields, the clubs (pacha, mint, tequila, several in the Rosedal) and 10 mins from downtown / Puerto Madero or 5 from Recoleta / Retiro but my favorite on Las Canitas / La Imprenta is the girls. Girls around they are just beautiful, yes also by anywhere in the city but especially here they spend more money on taking care of their bodies, and as a proof there are a lot of gyms around. Streets are full of beautiful trees and I like to make a walk on the park which is very nice.

Belgrano is another area I like pretty much, the part of Barrancas de Belgrano is very nice, take a look on this video http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/flash_...=belgrano_ride
    I've shooted some videos on some but not all of the neighborhoods of BA, which are available to download here http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/videos.php now on a faster server in the US so I think videos download faster now? (if they don't please let me know so I can complain)

Another smart option is Congreso. Years ago I hated Congreso because of the colectivos (busses) and no trees on some streets, but thinking twice I've realized that either renting or buying in Congreso it's having two times more space on your apartment and you are in the center of BA. Not bad at all.

On Puerto Madero I have contradictions; is the safer neighborhood in BA, is nice, no dirty streets but what I don't like about it is that you feel like on an island, there are almost no supermarkets, shops, locutorios as on the rest of BA, and the few kiosks around charge you expensive prices.

Thanks

Thank you El Aleman,

I have heard Puerto Madero is nice, thanks for letting me know its far from everything. I think I'll stick with recoleto or palermo for now, Only planning on renting for a month and taking it from there. Thanks again for the good info.

Tha Bad One

Where to rent

I would stick to Recoleta and the adjacent parts of Palermo and Barrio Norte, more or less the area surrounded by 9 de Julio, Libertadór, Córdoba, and going north into the 3500 numbers.

I would avoid Puerto Madero. It certainly is a trendy area, but expensive and far away from everything. Maybe include the Microcentro in your search.

Best idea, before committing to anything long term, stay a few days and do some reconnaissance yourself.

Have fun,

El Alemán

Where To Rent In Buenos Aires?

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to rent in BA,

I have been looking at the real estate websites online, and I think Recoleto, Puerto Madero, and Palermo look convenient. But since I don't know BA, I'm not sure if those are good places for foreigners, so if anyone can offer some advice as to where a good central location is, where I'm not far from everything, let me know. Also if anyone could tell me which are the most reliable websites for renting appt's.

Thanks.

Badboy

Costs for buying, renting

Last Sunday La Nacion had these two graphs about real estate costs / cost to rehab apartments. Prices for apartments are not based on government figures, but info supplied by real estate firms, so take them with a grain of salt. Rehab / Recycle prices to completely redo an apartment were about right in my experience, article stated about 200 USD per sq. Meter (first quality stuff)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0001.jpg‎   scan0002.jpg‎  
    Last edited by Thomaso276; 06-03-06 at 12:48. Reason: attachments

excellent posts

Thanks everyone for the excellent posts on buying property in BA. I am selling my condo in California and was thinking of investing in some rentals in BA. I see now it's safer / liquid / easier (for me) putting my hard earned cash into mutual funds / bonds in the USA and spending my gains in BA on the chicas.

I'm not new to buying real estate, but the economic realities as explained on this thread, has convinced me to wait for the next peso collapse before trying to purchase a apartment / condo to retire in. I have about 5 more years before I can stop working for the man. The chicas initially drew me to BA but its the world class tango / food / lifestyle / economics that would keep me there.

I will be in Medellin in mid September to mid October. Staying at El Castillo and the Medellin Mansion. If anyone else is in town, it would be great to continue this discussion, to buy or rent in Colombia, over some beers. I will be scoping out the apts for sale there also. The prices seem very reasonable in Medellin for a nice place, but much more dangerous and risks than owning in BA.

Anyways, thanks again everyone for the awsome informative postings pro or con.

Btw Jackson, if you happen to read this, I meet you a few times at the mansion bbq's two years ago. Andres, DH, capt Dave and and a few others were there also. Nice to see all the improvments to the web site since then. And a very belated, congratulations on your new wife. I had the honor of meeting her at the mansion bbq's also.

ST

Miami is not in southamerica rudolph

Just to let Rudolph know that Miami is not a South American Airport.

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations