Thread: Seeking Employment In Buenos Aires

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Rock Harders
    Quote Originally Posted by Marak5
    . Exactly how many execs on wall street have a degree in international relations from you of deleware?

Suerte,

Marak
    Actually, you would be surprised how many wall street swingin dicks came out of a 2nd or 3rd tier University or College. Hell, some of my Asshole Wall Street buddies didn't either attend or graduate. These were kids of blue collar parents who wanted to get ahead and were hungry. They worked their butts off. If they burned out and want to live the good life in BA, more power to them.

Ps. It is spelled Delaware.

Report deleted by Admin

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was deleted in accordance with the Forum's Zero Tolerance policy regarding reports containing any personal information about another Forum Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Marak5-

My only response to your idiocy is to suggest that you re-read all my previous posts and come to a realization of how way-off and stupid that last post is, if you have the mental capacity to do so.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler
    Dirk.

No thanks. I'm not that interested in getting in a week long pissing contest on the internet.

Suerte

ps I have read your posts and they read like verbal diarrhea.

Marak5-

My only response to your idiocy is to suggest that you re-read all my previous posts and come to a realization of how way-off and stupid that last post is, if you have the mental capacity to do so.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

I guess in a way I am jealous as I don't have that freedom right now
    You seem to have the freedom to travel down to BA. What do you do? Are you employed with tons of vacation? A student? Inbetween jobs? Other?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojokpr
    I found the article pretty hilarious and sad at the same time. Seems like the people in the article are only concerned with being a "big fish", etc. The good news is that they will probably be gone shortly after they tire of things. People like that tend to move to the next "hot" thing pretty quicly, leaving everyone else alone after that. It was like that in Prague for a while.
    I think I agree. I actually corresponded with someone from NYC on one of the other expat boards, and he was talking about how "hot" bs as was for the NYC crowd.

And Dirk, I'm not really offended by you. You posted that you basically had no money are looking for a job down there. You are not really in the group of people posting in this article - with a net worth of 1 million dollars (cash I guess? Or the ability to move seemlessly from a 60k a year job into the wine field and earn "more than the annual argentine salary." I guess in a way I am jealous as I don't have that freedom right now, but I also know that people with real money, a lot more than 1 million net worth, don't brag about it or certainly don't write articles about it on the internet. Totally new money attitude that I hate, and there is a lot of that where I live in the USA. But I really doubt that you are capable of attaining that level of wealth by your early 30s. Exactly how many execs on wall street have a degree in international relations from u of deleware?

Suerte,.

Marak

Marak-

Why even bother mentioning the stupid shit from that article on this board, no member of the AP forum wrote that article, you should have just taken the useful points it offered like everyone else that read the article. The usefulness of the article, and the reason it was probably posted is that it shows that people other than the AP forum membership think Buenos Aires is a great place, and serves basically as positive reinforcement to why we all live and / or travel here.

Another thing- Do you really think I'd live in Buenos Aires if I cared about making alot of money and having flashy stuff to show off? If I did, wouldn't I surely stay in the NYC sphere, which is undoubtedly the world captial of making money?

Maybe you should go back to having emotional crisis over whether the prostitute you are paying for sex "really likes you" and wants to spend time with you, free of charge, and leave more interesting discussions to those who actually have the ability to critique and think properly.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler
    Jeez and here I thought I was a bit emotionally unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Here's a link to an article in the "New York Magazine" from last week. It describes "hip" New Yorkers who have moved to BA. Some of it seemed like bullshit to me, especially rent prices quoted. Interesting anyhow, especially for you young movers and shakers out there.

http://www.newyorkmagazine.com/guide...047/index.html
    I liked very much the article, although I find some observations.

- Many expats settling in BA and dealing with affluent people believe that they are getting mixed with "la crème de la crème" of Argentina, and it's not necessarily that. Maybe these Argentinos are upper-middle class, since the upper class doesn't necessarily live in Recoleta.

- Due to its proximity to universities, Barrio Norte isn't a Family-heavy neighborhood but quite the opposite (at least compared to many other BA quarters)

- "Susana Giménez, Argentina's surgically enhanced version of Oprah". LOL. That's funny.

- You can't have a more relaxing atmosphere than in NYC and at the same time get the same rush-rush service as in the Big Apple. No way. It doesn't fit culturally.

Andres

Magazine Article

I found the article pretty hilarious and sad at the same time. Seems like the people in the article are only concerned with being a "big fish", etc. The good news is that they will probably be gone shortly after they tire of things. People like that tend to move to the next "hot" thing pretty quicly, leaving everyone else alone after that. It was like that in Prague for a while.

Cool

Dirk and Moore.

Now that you two will be in the same city I recommend you get together and relieve some of this sexual tension that has been building on this site.

But reading this article really makes me kind of sick to my stomach. Is everyone from NYC THAT concerned with net worth, being a "big fish," financial deals, and their status in society? I can't believe how tacky it all sounds - "My net worth easily into the 7's." Who fucking cares? Money is nice but not everything. Seems like they are all compensating for something else if their lives revolved around that bullshit.

I wish everyone from NYC would stay home (sorry Dirk)

And the complaints are absurd.

One-ply toilet paper - who fucking cares?

Slow restaurant service - It's better. Not rushed out of the fucking restaurant so the server can make more money.

Strikes that shut down subways, airlines, or highways nearly once a week - only legitimate complaint.

"embargo on cool shit" like plasma TVs - Get a life outside of television.

Sickening.
    Marak5,

Sorry Dirk was so mean to you. I am guessing he didn't like to be told to stay home or the allusion to "sexual tension". But what the fuck do I know? Huh? I thought I would weigh in on the complaint list:

1. I found some 2 ply toilet paper. Hal a fucking lu jah.

2. I would prefer waiter service somewhere in the middle of "sir, the cast of the Sopranos is here could you hurry up with the tiramasu", and (in castellano) "oh, you are still here"?

3. God bless the strikers! If the consumption addled lower class in the US got off their collective fat asses maybe we would see some much needed "boat rattling".

4. Yea, the "cool shit" is overrated, but it is better than a kick in the nuts.

That New York Magazine article was one of those pieces floating in a sea of hyperbole. Those people embellish the truth with one hand, while jacking off the travel industry with the other. IMHO.

Marak-

Why even bother mentioning the stupid shit from that article on this board, no member of the AP forum wrote that article, you should have just taken the useful points it offered like everyone else that read the article. The usefulness of the article, and the reason it was probably posted is that it shows that people other than the AP forum membership think Buenos Aires is a great place, and serves basically as positive reinforcement to why we all live and / or travel here.

Another thing- Do you really think I'd live in Buenos Aires if I cared about making alot of money and having flashy stuff to show off? If I did, wouldn't I surely stay in the NYC sphere, which is undoubtedly the world captial of making money?

Maybe you should go back to having emotional crisis over whether the prostitute you are paying for sex "really likes you" and wants to spend time with you, free of charge, and leave more interesting discussions to those who actually have the ability to critique and think properly.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Wink

Dirk and Moore.

Now that you two will be in the same city I recommend you get together and relieve some of this sexual tension that has been building on this site.

But reading this article really makes me kind of sick to my stomach. Is everyone from NYC THAT concerned with net worth, being a "big fish," financial deals, and their status in society? I can't believe how tacky it all sounds - "My net worth easily into the 7's." Who fucking cares? Money is nice but not everything. Seems like they are all compensating for something else if their lives revolved around that bullshit.

I wish everyone from NYC would stay home (sorry Dirk)

And the complaints are absurd.

One-ply toilet paper - who fucking cares?

Slow restaurant service - It's better. Not rushed out of the fucking restaurant so the server can make more money.

Strikes that shut down subways, airlines, or highways nearly once a week - only legitimate complaint.

"embargo on cool shit" like plasma TVs - Get a life outside of television.

Sickening.

Dirk,

I find that many Europeans know very well what kind of place BA is. But its still too much of a leap in terms of distance, culture, and perceived risk. Sort of like Rio, which is a place that I'd never live in and would not recommend to a novice traveller.

The "distance" is something that makes and keeps BA great. I believe that BA will never be like Costa Rica unless concordes resume flying, become as common as Southwest 737s, and you can take an all-inclusive 3day blowout booze-cruise trip here from Cleveland for US$299. Don't see it happening.

Moore-

You address something I was going to include in my previous post but I left it out- I concur that the sheer distance of Argentina from North America and Europe, will save it from being greatly altered or ruined, ala Costa Rica. I have heard that Costa Rica was 10-20 years ago, a relative paradise where everything was virtually "free" and you could do whatever you wanted, more or less. I know a guy from the Megatlon who used to reside in San Jose, Costa Rica but moved to Buenos Aires because he said crime and exploitation of foreigners in SJ and CR in general is getting out of control.

Also, the shadow of economic and political chaos, along with general ignorance of what kind of place Argentina is, will keep throngs of average NorteAmericanos from making this place Disneyland.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Hi Dirk,

Amen, brother.

Thanks,

Jackson

Getting back to the article, I really think that in the next several years, the popularity of Buenos Aires is going to increase as tourist and semi-permanent expatriate destination.
    I don't. One simple reason, among others, that Ive mentioned before - distance. I'm not saying that the level of such expats/tourists may not increase, just that it will never be significant. Besides, has something here changed that would cause an influx of expats? BA has been BA for a long time. Very nice, but too big of a leap for most.

Posting Limitations