Thread: Seeking Employment In Buenos Aires

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Rock Harders
    Moore,

In a few weeks, I will again be "delivered" from New York to Buenos Aires, albeit this time semi-permanently. There are similarities between New York and Buenos Aires, except that in Bs. As. Everything is much cheaper, friendlier, the pussy is hotter, and the weather far superior. Anyway, I am not surprised that the female specimen you observed from New York looked like Arkansas shithole trash- while there are literally thousands of beautiful women in The City, they stay there and leech off whatever rich guy they are currently milking- just asking several of my ex-girlfriends! Buenos Aires is a much better place for a young guy to come and sink his teeth into than a young girl IMO.

Getting back to the article, I really think that in the next several years, the popularity of Buenos Aires is going to increase as tourist and semi-permanent expatriate destination. This is fine by me, as it will increase opportunities to make money for young guys like myself who have been in-country awhile and know the score.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Deliverance from New York

Yes, I just saw once of these "hip" New Yorkers walking in Recoleta. Pretty sad when the women of your most *sophisticated* city look like Walmart greeters from HQ in Arkansas, and are unexplainably arrogant to boot.

PS We all know you're following me Mpexy, lets see what obsessive insult you can come up with now.

Checkmark New Yorkers to BA

Here's a link to an article in the "New York Magazine" from last week. It describes "hip" New Yorkers who have moved to BA. Some of it seemed like bullshit to me, especially rent prices quoted. Interesting anyhow, especially for you young movers and shakers out there.

http://www.newyorkmagazine.com/guide...047/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stowe
    In the US are everyone probably knows, the government misleads about the unemployment number as well. They do not count those people who are no longer collecting unemployment because they are beyond the six months that unemployment pays out.

Also, they no longer count those who are "no longer actively looking for a job". How they can determine that is beyond me.
    The first part is incorrect. The second is accurate.

The reason is, if you don't want a job, you can't be said to be unemployed for economic reasons.

With differing national methodologies for measuring unemployment, the point is that the UI number is best used as a trend statistic - assuming politics doesn't cause the measurements to be altered (a more likely scenario in corrupt regimes such as the one in Argentina).

Thanks for sharing, gentelmen!

The other day I saw a young man who looked smart and educated, stood next to his shoe shine box near the subte. Obviously, he did not belong to that box but to earn his 2 pesos with no other choices for the moment. On the other hand, I know two different female friends, one lives on teaching foreigners spanish (30p an hour) the other manages properties for the Westerners. Both of them are owner of their own places, have enough for food, pay the bills but definitely no extra to spare for something luxury. My young lady neighbor has to get up at 7am, works at 3 different phamacies back home at 9pm, 6 days a week, so she can save "1000 peso a month to do some world traveling". I took her out for dinner once. I can't date her; she got no time for herself!

Well, this is the reality report, outside of the Club New Port.

Strad

Unemployment

In the US are everyone probably knows, the government misleads about the unemployment number as well. They do not count those people who are no longer collecting unemployment because they are beyond the six months that unemployment pays out.

Also, they no longer count those who are "no longer actively looking for a job". How they can determine that is beyond me.

I would think that our unemployment number is closer to 50-75% higher than stated.

Stowe

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy
    Official statistics - while fudged and incorrect as they are - are roughly a decent baseline to start with.
    Indeed they are. If you are accustomed to a US environment, add about 10% to the official Argentine figure for translation purposes. That is not an adjustment for conspiracy, but an adjustment for vastly different systems, practices, and conditions.

Wink Statistics

[QUOTE=Moore]

"White lies, Damn lies, and Statistics"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awhile back I saw a quote from a Brazilian economist-"Statistics are like bikinis, they show what is important, but hide what is essential".

Social security recipients are not counted as employed to artificially lower the unemployment rate. (short of going to the extreme, which is possible but not probable, that even the divulged methodology of how INDEC counts is under such a government conspiracy that any number, high or low, is basically meaningless)

Unfortunately, divulged in that methodology basis is that Argentina does count recipients of handouts or other assisted living programs - such as the payments Argentina makes to help support parents (or single parent) with children. Even if the person is unemployed, the government considers taking those checks as similar to receiving a paycheck and therefore counts those people as "employed".

On the flip side, there is a large underground economy, in cash payments, which is not counted as employed. I doubt that balances each other out, but on the whole, neither do I believe 25% to be anywhere near an accurate figure. For sure based on positive growth since 2003 of around 9% per year in GDP there are at the least less unemployed now than in 2003 which at it's height was just capping 20%.

Short of the absurd statement that someone thinks they can get a view of macroeconomics simply by viewing one microeconomic indicator or sector, official statistics - while fudged and incorrect as they are - are roughly a decent baseline to start with.

I saw the "official" unemployment number in Clarin a few weeks ago and I think it was about 13%. As Andres said, I believe that many recipients of unemployment social programs are not counted as unemployed.

Also keep in mind that many of the employed people are severely underemployed and / or degreed professionals working as waiters or taxi drivers.

"White lies, Damn lies, and Statistics"

If one has work experience, hiring experience, job search experience, and local contacts, one knows what 5% , or 12% unemployment "feels" like. 3% and youre getting calls from headhunters daily. I estimate the current "real" rate here at at least 25%.

I remember a few months ago seeing a line of about 70 young women very close to my apt that were clearly waiting for an interview at a small office there (not a recruiting agency) quite possibly vying for one open secretary position. Thats not 13%.

Andres, thanks for the reply!

Is such rate high for unemployment? USA has 5% unemployment I believe.

Strad.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres
    Strad,

Hard to say. It is supposed that INDEC (Argentine Statistics Bureau) collect meaningful data, so they should have the current figures. They may count social security recepients as employed, for political pressure from government.

I guess that it is around 10-15% (no higher than 20% , no less than 10%)

Andres

Quote Originally Posted by Strad
    Andres,

What is the unemployment rate in Argentina, would you know?

Thanks!

Strad
    Strad,

Hard to say. It is supposed that INDEC (Argentine Statistics Bureau) collect meaningful data, so they should have the current figures. They may count social security recepients as employed, for political pressure from government.

I guess that it is around 10-15% (no higher than 20% , no less than 10%)

Andres

Andres,

What is the unemployment rate in Argentina, would you know?

Thanks!

Strad

Quote Originally Posted by ElCaco
    Hi, I translate French and Spanish into English, and could sometimes use fellow English speakers to proofread my English for grammar, style, punctuation, etc. Problem is the deadlines are sometimes tight and I really only want to work with somebody who has writing-related training and experience (ie a translator, journalist, editor, writer, etc) - or, ideally, underline ideally, experience translating French into English (but I know that's rather hard to find in BA)

Anyway, if you're interested, please let me know.
    I remember having seen at the Canadian embassy (Figueroa Alcorta and Tagle) a list of authorized translators accepted by the embassy, some of which were official tranlators to both English and French.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Do any of you guys write, edit or proofread?

Hi,

I translate French and Spanish into English, and could sometimes use fellow English speakers to proofread my English for grammar, style, punctuation, etc. Problem is the deadlines are sometimes tight and I really only want to work with somebody who has writing-related training and experience (ie a translator, journalist, editor, writer, etc) - or, ideally, underline ideally, experience translating French into English (but I know that's rather hard to find in BA)

Anyway, if you're interested, please let me know.

Posting Limitations