Thread: Taxi Ripoffs

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson

New Taxi Scam!

Just heard this one, it is very clever. The mark (a green tourist) pays fare with a good 100 peso note, sleazy cab driver switches the bill when the mark is not looking for a slightly torn fake, then "rejects" the torn bill, because it is torn and asks for a non torn one, totally deflecting attention from whether the bill is fake or not. I have the bill in possession (for demonstration purposes only) and it is a VERY GOOD fake note, with sparkly green 100 in left corner and a (crappy) watermark. It is the Brazilian style note with serial number in black on the bottom, not red on the ride, lots of these type of fakes going around.

Good news, I have a new Evita 100 peso note in possession, with more security features than the current Roca note, will be harder to counterfeit fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    Hi Seaman.

I am just stating facts about taxis, etc. I use taxis myself around town.

The known fact of the matter is it is well known that there are rip off cabs here in town, and it is quite common for this to happen to tourists.

SilverStar is a LIMO service not a taxi, and my rates are competitive / cheaper than similar cars here. I just called One Limo web site for a price check, and they quoted me $164US for a C4 and could not guarantee an English speaking driver. They wanted $215US for a Mercedes E Class, probably much older than my Executive C6. The C6 and Town Car are VERY EXPENSIVE cars to run here, and costs over 3X what a taxi costs. English speaking drivers that drive safely here are also very hard to find. (Don't confuse the C6 with a C4)

The C6 is the same car the French President uses. SilverStar Premium car service has never tried nor can compete on price with Taxis, we can however provide the best possible service here in Buenos Aires. You can't compare a cheap seedy hostel to the Alvear Palace 5 Star hotel, it is the same with SilverStar vs Taxi.

Unfortunately, one of the things here that is not cheaper is running a car. Gas, parts and insurance are much more expensive than the USA, and traffic is brutal. It can take me 3. 5 hours to 4 hours to do an airport pickup from start to finish during morning rush hour. Also remember the risk we are taking for an accident is very high, as Argentines are some of the worst drivers in the world.

As far as safety goes, many black and yellow cabs tailgate, drive with lights off at night, weave in and out of traffic, don't have rear headrests, run on bald tires have shot suspensions, don't use turn signals and don't have airbags.

We maintain and drive our cars in a professional manner, so the choice is yours, if you find better value in a random taxi, please take it. But you won't find a better car (Town Car or C6 Exclusive) at a better price for an English speaking, punctual driver.

Bottom line. I think you are comparing apples to oranges, if you can find a better price for an English speaking driver with a similar car who drives safe, please do let me know! If we were running beat up tiny Chevrolet Corsas with bald tires and no headrests in the back, I would agree with you 100%

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want the very best English Speaking car service in Buenos Aires

Quote Originally Posted by Seaman
    Well the US$50 is about as expensive as Fred's trip from the cruise terminal to the city. (US$44! Depending on where the passengers have to go to in the city it might be even cheaper! (For people who are not familiar where the cruise terminal is; it is about 500m from Retiro train station.

Sorry Fred, but I do not think that you are the right person to start criticizing the rip-off rates of taxi drivers. I think the rates you charge are in the same category. (Or do you think that US$88 for an airport pick up is a "normal" rate? And please do not try to feed me the BS about the town car since you have also a way more regular C6 in use.
    Hi Seaman.

I am just stating facts about taxis, etc. I use taxis myself around town.

The known fact of the matter is it is well known that there are rip off cabs here in town, and it is quite common for this to happen to tourists.

SilverStar is a LIMO service not a taxi, and my rates are competitive / cheaper than similar cars here. I just called One Limo web site for a price check, and they quoted me $164US for a C4 and could not guarantee an English speaking driver. They wanted $215US for a Mercedes E Class, probably much older than my Executive C6. The C6 and Town Car are VERY EXPENSIVE cars to run here, and costs over 3X what a taxi costs. English speaking drivers that drive safely here are also very hard to find. (Don't confuse the C6 with a C4)

The C6 is the same car the French President uses. SilverStar Premium car service has never tried nor can compete on price with Taxis, we can however provide the best possible service here in Buenos Aires. You can't compare a cheap seedy hostel to the Alvear Palace 5 Star hotel, it is the same with SilverStar vs Taxi.

Unfortunately, one of the things here that is not cheaper is running a car - gas, parts and insurance are much more expensive than the USA, and traffic is brutal. It can take me 3.5 hours to 4 hours to do an airport pickup from start to finish during morning rush hour. Also remember the risk we are taking for an accident is very high, as Argentines are some of the worst drivers in the world.

As far as safety goes, many black and yellow cabs tailgate, drive with lights off at night, weave in and out of traffic, don't have rear headrests, run on bald tires have shot suspensions, don't use turn signals and don't have airbags.

We maintain and drive our cars in a professional manner, so the choice is yours, if you find better value in a random taxi, please take it. But you won't find a better car (Town Car or C6 Exclusive) at a better price for an English speaking, punctual driver.

Bottom line - I think you are comparing apples to oranges, if you can find a better price for an English speaking driver with a similar car who drives safe, please do let me know! If we were running beat up tiny Chevrolet Corsas with bald tires and no headrests in the back, I would agree with you 100%

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want the very best English Speaking car service in Buenos Aires

Wow indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye
    US$50 from PM to Recoleta? Depending upon how many drinks I was served at PM, one of us (me or the driver) would be looking for a cop for assistance.
    Well the US$50 is about as expensive as Fred's trip from the cruise terminal to the city. (US$44!) Depending on where the passengers have to go to in the city it might be even cheaper! (For people who are not familiar where the cruise terminal is; it is about 500m from Retiro train station......)

Sorry Fred, but I do not think that you are the right person to start criticizing the rip-off rates of taxi drivers. I think the rates you charge are in the same category. (Or do you think that US$88 for an airport pick up is a "normal" rate? And please do not try to feed me the BS about the town car since you have also a way more regular C6 in use.)

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star
    I was doing a City to AEP transfer today in my new Executive Citroen C6 Exclusive (complete with rear reclining heated leather seats) and the Canadiens I had got a cab waiting outside Cabaņa Las Lilas in Puerto Madero lat night, he had a rigged meter and the fare to Recoleta (Azcuenaga why Juncal) was 50 Pesos, he tried to charge in USD! That fare should be no more than 25 Pesos or so. Always better to call a cab by radio taxi, then get one off the street. I was surprised to see this from PM, as many of the crooked cabs are afraid to go in due to tight Coast Guard Security.

Stay Safe.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com
    US$50 from PM to Recoleta? Depending upon how many drinks I was served at PM, one of us (me or the driver) would be looking for a cop for assistance.

That you want to demonstrate the choke-hold for.
    I was doing a City to AEP transfer today in my new Executive Citroen C6 Exclusive (complete with rear reclining heated leather seats) and the Canadiens I had got a cab waiting outside Cabaņa Las Lilas in Puerto Madero lat night, he had a rigged meter and the fare to Recoleta (Azcuenaga why Juncal) was 50 Pesos, he tried to charge in USD! That fare should be no more than 25 Pesos or so. Always better to call a cab by radio taxi, then get one off the street. I was surprised to see this from PM, as many of the crooked cabs are afraid to go in due to tight Coast Guard Security.

Stay Safe.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

That's the one

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre
    Then there was the taxi driver that kept saying that the meter was in DOLLARS!

Had to laugh out loud!

TL
    That you want to demonstrate the choke-hold for.

This was Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe 23
    I wouldn't think of paying taxis with a A$100 note. Anything can happen.

The driver can give you a fake A$50 as change.

Or, he'll quickly switch your A$100 note to a fake, then tell YOU that YOU've given him a fake note and return it to you.

I pay the taxistas in 20's or smaller notes.

In fact, these notes (20's or smaller) are for taxis, kioscos and tips.

Nothing more.
    Then there was the taxi driver that kept saying that the meter was in DOLLARS!

Had to laugh out loud!

TL

I have not seen fakes in Bs As with the security thread embedded in the paper. That shows a higher level of sophistication in production. Is there a watermark on the security thread?
    The "security strips" on my fake 50 and 100 are merely printed on top of the inferior paper, not embedded in like the real ones. Just a bunch of silver dashes.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want something better than a beat up tiny taxi

That is very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star
    I have a fake 50 right in front of me with a security thread and a watermark, but the giveaway is the watermark is in 2D format not 3D, my fake 100's also have the security thread in silver. (All bills were given to me by my clients to demonstrate to my future clients so they know what they are up against)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Pickups and Drop offs in English
    I have not seen fakes in Bs As with the security thread embedded in the paper. That shows a higher level of sophistication in production. Is there a watermark on the security thread?

I posted a long time ago about a remis driver pulling the switcheroo on an AR$100 note at EZE.

Some things you will notice about fake bills, should you come into possession of one or more, are that they are much less durable than legal currency and made of very smooth paper (not like currency) that tends to crease when folded. Legal currency is usually made of cotton and flax as opposed to counterfeit bills which are usually paper.

Fake bills also lack both the 3-D watermark imagery and the security thread.
    I have a fake 50 right in front of me with a security thread and a watermark, but the giveaway is the watermark is in 2D format not 3D, my fake 100's also have the security thread in silver. (All bills were given to me by my clients to demonstrate to my future clients so they know what they are up against)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Pickups and Drop offs in English

Fake notes

I posted a long time ago about a remis driver pulling the switcheroo on an AR$100 note at EZE.

Some things you will notice about fake bills, should you come into possession of one or more, are that they are much less durable than legal currency and made of very smooth paper (not like currency) that tends to crease when folded. Legal currency is usually made of cotton and flax as opposed to counterfeit bills which are usually paper.

Fake bills also lack both the 3-D watermark imagery and the security thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe 23

Or, he'll quickly switch your A$100 note to a fake, then tell YOU that YOU've given him a fake note and return it to you.

Nothing more.
    Also watch for rigged meters that run at 2x speed, without traffic, the meter should click once every 2 blocks or so. Taxi drivers also really appreciate small change, and always round up to the nearest peso. By the way, the overwhelming majority of cab drivers are great folks, but there is that element to watch out for.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Buenos Aires English Speaking Private Car Services

Paying taxis

Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjoe
    Is it not possible to put some sort of mark on all of your 100 notes to avoid the fake bill scam? Or is this too much of a hassle for a once in a great while scam (or is all too common)
    It's a common scam, and watch for fake 50's also. (There are a lot of fake 50's floating around right now) Be especially careful if the bill you get back in change is brand new, fake notes don't get circulated as much, and if you ever do have to give a cabbie a 100 peso note, always verify it is real 1st (hold it up to the light and notice the quality of the watermark and paper, and remember the last 3 digits of the serial number. The watermark should be a 3D portrait, not a 2D outline. I have seen fake notes all the way down to 10 pesos. (Many of the passengers I get have been ripped off by cabs, and they give me the fake notes they got to demonstrate to my customers)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want something better than a tiny, cramped and uncomfortable Taxi.

Is it not possible to put some sort of mark on all of your 100 notes to avoid the fake bill scam? Or is this too much of a hassle for a once in a great while scam (or is all too common)

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations