Thread: Taxi Ripoffs

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson
    I've only had one or two taxis drivers who were obviously trying to scam me on the ride, i.e., taking a much longer route than necessary. As my knowledge of the city and of Spanish has improved, I don't worry too much about that anymore.

But getting counterfeits is still something I keep in the back of my mind. To that end, I try to never get in a situation wherein the taxi driver will be giving me $10 peso notes or above for change. In other words, if I know I'll be taking a taxi, I will make sure I have a $10, a $5, a few $2s, and loose change beforehand. I keep a little jar of that stuff around the flat just for that reason.

Thumbs up Taxi service

Taxi service has been great. Never any odd directions. Also giving back the change. On Sunday when I had only 100 peso bills, taxi driver carried me to a shell sattion where he changed bill with the attendant.

All you have to do is give them an intersection of 2 streets and they semmed to be able to get there.

Good Idea for small change

Whenever I go to the bank before 3:00 pm tp get some pesos, I always just get in line and change the $100's right there at the bank. It's no problem, they do it for the locals all the time. It saves having to change money all the time.

I've never had a bad experience with a taxi driver here except for one that went a long way around one time. Recently I jumped in a cab in Recoleta and told him I wanted to go to Plaza Dorrego and he took off in the wrong direction. I quickly told him that he was not going where I wanted and he said that he thought I wanted to go to another place called Dorrego. When we got to the Plaza, he told me I could pay less than the meter for the lost time. I did check the map the next day and there is a station Dorrego in the direction he was going so it was probably an honest mistake.

Other than that, I find the taxi drivers very honest, and most like to talk to you about your travels, the US, the Governator (when they hear I'm from California) pretty friendly people. I never call a taxi, just grab one off the street, pretty much all hours of the day and night.

It takes everything I got to keep from killing the taxi drivers in Prague.

Whenever I get cash at the ATM, I always get p490 (per transaction limit 500 for me). Then I always use 100s when eating at decent restaurants - which is most days - I rarely go to Burger King and there is no Denny's in BA. That keeps my wallet full of smaller bills. Also I find that a small business that knows you well will give you change. The kiosk I use almost everyday will usually change a 50/100 for me if needed.

Well, I've had lots of taxi ripoffs tried on me around the world. It's one thing that's constant. Many will try and hustle you.

One thing I did seriously this time, it to make sure the bank at the airport gave me LOTS of small bills. I got plenty of 20's, 10's and 5's. Trying to get them at other times can be pretty difficult.

I also name the amount I'm giving them, and never give them more than 5 pesos over the amount that they're charging.

I've never gotten any fake money. I think one other time, I had a taxi driver hustle me for the (Oh, senor you only gave me 2 pesos) so I'm pretty familar with all the different scams. I think I'll just stay away from any type of taxi stands (Though, I've never had a problem with the Village Recoleta one) especially in expensive areas.

I got a good driver going to the airport. He quoted me 40 pesos from Congreso, plus tolls. He turned the meter on, and when we got there, the meter read 37 and change. That's all he asked for. I gave him the 40p though.

I would say that a couple of other taxis have fixed meters to some degree. I've taken the same trip from my apartment, and had one come up to 8 pesos, and the other 12p, driving the same streets, and no long traffic delays.

Fortunate

I recently spent a couple of weeks in BA. I uesd taxis to get around. In all of the taxis I used I never felt that I was overcharged and was always treated fairly, with small bills only given, which I learned on this forum. If more could speak English it would be better but my experience with taxi drivers was very positive.

Cactus

Give exact change to taxi drivers

I usually use a $100 bill whenever I'm paying at normally reputatble places such as resturants or shops. I always make sure I have some $2 and $5 bills and plenty of coins with me. This way I can give exact change to taxi drivers with tip included, and aviod having to worry about receive any counterfeit bills back from them. I do the same thing at privados also, always try to pay with the exact amount.

My Taxi experience

This cabby waited outside of a parking circle between Asia de Cuba and the Hilton. Normally, from Port Madero to my apartment in Recoleta, the fare would run A$R5.00. All the way he drove very fast, and so did his meter - flipped pretty fast. The whole trip I did not say anything, I was observing and amazed, wanted to know how much this guy is gonna rip me off in the end. And in the end, the meter showed A$R10.00, big deal, not even worth to get my doorman involved! I gave him the exact amount but, I did point out to him, "Sir, you meter is not right", he explained something while he quickly drove off.

In all, my experience with BA's taxi drivers was good, most of the cabbies are honest. Before paying my fare, I would always ask the driver to turn the back seat light on, and check the bills (from the changes) into the light right in front of his face. It seems to be rude, but hey, isn't the thing everybody does in Buenos Aires?

Strad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
    I decided to head over the Cabana Las Lilas for my last supper here in BA before I fly out. The food and service were great (Thought the 15p per person cubierto sucks)

Outside there are a line of taxi's, and I grudgingly decided to grab one. The taxi driver seemed to be deaf, and I had to repeat the address 3 times.

Driving there, the other taxi driver had gone out of the way a few blocks, but nothing major. It had cost 5.72 pesos or such.

Going back, we're only 4 blocks from Puerto Madero and it's already over 5 pesos. WTF?

By this time, I know I'm dealing with a fixed meter. It seemed about twice as much as a normal one. The guy almost hit two pedestrians, and one other taxi on the way there. The fare was 9.64p (He didn't go out of the way at all)

I have all my 5+ peso bills in a money clip, and pulled out a 10 peso note. He then starts to hand back a two peso bill and told me I gave him the wrong bill. I told him he was wrong, he just shrugged, and went on his way. It's bad enough he nailed me for double the correct fare, but then trying the old switcheroo too?

I doubt you'd ever get this guy, but he's the fattest taxi driver I've seen in BA. The wheel can barely turn when he's in the seat. He also has some dash mounted guages on the passenger side of the car.

Taxis

Thanks, Good Info!

Most taxi drivers will keep some sort of club / tire iron under the seat for protection - intimidation. I have seen a couple pull one out and waive it at another driver or pedestrian in a road rage mode.

I tend to look for well dressed (shirt and tie) older types. Avoid the guy who looks like he just got out of prison - unshaven, 220 lbs, sloppy appearance.

Also watch out for side street diversions. No need to head through residential areas for many monger type trips.

If you feel uncomfortable, just step out when cab stops and throw 'em 5 pesos. Better than being taken to some area for a robbery - usually done by some thugs following or a couple of thugs waiting on some side street.

Overall, very safe with cabs, but probably the best opportunity for robbery other than the snatch and grab of a watch by thugs on motorcycles.

Also noticed lately several bike riders cruising neighborhoods, in groups of two and three. 16 - 20 years old, definitely not Recoleta material. Back in good old USA this was a favorite MO for strong arm robbery. If you see the same guys riding around within a couple of blocks they may be checking you out. Be especially aware if their direction changes while you casually walk a few blocks. Spotted a couple the other day around Montevideo and Arenales.

Never give a taxi driver a $100? They, like almost everyone else, often don't have change for a $10.

I take the first taxi I see on the street and dont even notice if its a "reputable" one or not. Never seen any difference and never had any problem in 5 years (maybe 3000 rides) that I can remember. Exception, if its hot and I have a long ride ahead I will wait for one that I see has AC sometimes.

taxi drivers

I am sure that all guys in-country a long time are well aware of this, but for the inexperienced I will reiterate that you should stick to well known Radio-Taxi companies such as Radio Taxi Premium, Mi Taxi, Tu Taxi, and the like. Taking taxis off the street is fine, as long as they are Radio Taxis from one of the reputable services. I myself will take an independent street taxi from time to time, but only if I am with a group of six or more that is trying to squeeze into one taxi (some radio taxi drivers will not allow this because their insurance will not cover them if some mishap occurs with 7 people in a 4 passenger cab) However, street taxis find their niche here in that they don't give a fuck and would put 10 people in their cab without blinking an eye.

In addition, there is absolutely no need to take any shit from these taxi drivers, or anyone else trying to rip you off down here (in most cases) The typical Argentine hustler will do his / her best to fleece you out of your dollars, but the second you get in their face and let them know who they are dealing with and that you are not going to take their shit they immediately back down and do nothing. No offense to anyone here, but Argentine men are NOT a tough lot, physically speaking, and are easily intimidated.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    Be carefull in Taxi's in making change and or "Cambio"

Never give them a big bill such as a $100 peso note.

There's lots & lots of Counterfit money that floats around Buenos Aires and 9 times out on 10 your going to get it from a taxi driver.

Moreover, Taxi drivers love "Newbie's" to pass the Counterfit money too.

Exon
    This is true. One of the tricks a newbie has to learn is to keep your spending money in small denomination pesos - 2s, 5s, 10s, 20s. Nobody will ever have change for a 100, except in hotels or restaurants.

Retired Member

Talking

Be carefull in Taxi's in making change and or "Cambio"

Never give them a big bill such as a $100 peso note.

There's lots & lots of Counterfit money that floats around Buenos Aires and 9 times out on 10 your going to get it from a taxi driver.

Moreover, Taxi drivers love "Newbie's" to pass the Counterfit money too.

Exon

Speaking of taxi ripoffs, I had my first one on my most recent trip. The meter in the taxi kept going out. And I would say to the driver, "Senor, your meter is not working." So he would restart it, and in 15 seconds it would stop working again. This happened like 3 times, and I finally stopped reminding him.

So we get to the destination and he quotes me double what I know the fare to be. I knew how much, since the pickup was outside of Black, and the destination was my hotel, a route I took several times on my last visit.

So, I just handed him what I knew to be the correct fare, and like Jaimito, just got out of the cab. He drove off without making a fuss.

Now, even if I had paid his quoted double fare, I would have lost something like three dollars. BFD. But it's the point that counts. And I tend to tip the taxi drivers in BsAs very well, like one peso plus the difference in centavos between the meter and the next full peso. Most locals don't tip anything at all.

Posting Limitations