View Poll Results: What side trip from BA would you chose if you had to pick only one?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bariloche

7 33.33%
  • Iguazu

5 23.81%
  • Mendoza

4 19.05%
  • Cordoba

3 14.29%
  • Glaciers

2 9.52%

Thread: Side Trip From BA

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This blog is moderated by Moore

I voted for the progressive guy

Dirk,

Joking around again, eh? What's up with the politics on this thread...don't tell me you're one of "them"!

Anyway, your comments on the US "interior" are, on a silliness scale of 1-10, maybe a 6. Unfortunately, there are a lot of inbred fucks throughout the USA but you exaggerate. Plenty of worthless shit in NYC (and proximities) too.

Your comments on the Argentine interior are, on a silliness scale of 1-10, a 10. Clearly you have no idea of what you're talking about. If you want to see "third worldliness" in a large Argentine city, BA is probably the best place.

Do they not teach manners, social graces, or proper English in NYC? Or does the place simply turn everyone into an asshole after a certain period of time?

Moore-

Point taken. I am from the NYC bubble, and unfortunately (IMO) it is not at all the "real" USA. Apparently, based on the last two elections, the "real" USA is made up of trailer parks, guns, greedy fat people with poor command of the english language and zero understanding of international relations, and born again christian churches filled with parishioners who believe whatever their government tells them.

NYC is an island of intelligence and forward thinking in the dark ocean that is the USA today in much the same way that Buenos Aires is a first world city in the sea of third worldliness that most of Argentina wades. Sorry for my venting!

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

I consider all aspects of the destination. Iguazu and the Glaciers are similar in that they are essentially single-purpose destinations. You see/climb/tour the natural wonder but thats about it. Huge glaciers are fairly rare - I had never seen one or at least not one like that.

Conversely, a place like Medoza or Cordoba or even Bariloche has many activites. One day at the vinyards, another visiting Aconcagua, another at Villa General Belgrano, another on the lake, another touring the city itself, etc. Plenty of local nightlife (much less in BRC) restaurants and you see the difference between BA and a provincial city. True, the landscape and even architecture of Bariloche is similar in many regards to that of the Swiss Alps, but thats part of what makes it so great. You look around and it seems unbelievable that you are in South America.

I respect your opinion, but to me taking a visiting foreigner to Iguazu would be somewhat like a NewYorker taking a British visitor to the Grand Canyon as the only side trip out of NYC. The Brit leaves the USA knowing NYC and one isolated natural wonder and thats it. Not at all representative of the "real" USA.

Moore-

I voted for Iguazu, because IMO, it is the only destination out of those you listed that is "one of a kind", as such. There is nothing else, to my knowledge, that compares to Iguazu. Bariloche, while very nice, is similar to parts of the Austrian and Swiss Alps. Glaciers can be seen in Alaska and Greenland, among other places. Except for the quality of the local poontang, Cordoba does not compare to the others in the poll in terms of "natural wonders". I was close to choosing Mendoza, not for the wine but for the high Andes that are west of the city, including Aconcagua, the highest peak in the western hemisphere. I would guess that the only thing comparable to the scene west of Mendoza would be the Himalayas.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Side Trip From BA

Please vote in this poll only if you have traveled around the country and know the destinations.

If you had a North American or European friend visiting Argentina for the first time and he/she/they had a total of 10 days and wished to take a 2-3 day side trip to the interior, where would you recommend?

Posting Limitations