Thread: Aeroparque (Domestic Airport) Taxis

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Moore
  1. 03-28-08 21:40

I don't envy you

Quote Originally Posted by Moore
    Avoid them and the line.

I've heard several times that some type of "mafia" controls the taxis at arrivals. I landed last night and as usual there was a line of about 100 people in the taxi line, but only a single taxi appeared, mysteriously, approximately once per minute. That line would be about a 30 minute wait. Conversely, when I left the apparently unregulated Mar Del Plata airport 1 hour earlier, there was a line of maybe 30 taxis logically lined up and waiting for the planeload of passengers about to arrive from BA (the plane I was about to board there)

I walk about 20 meters out to the street just outside of the airport and usually catch one in 2-3 minutes. Thats what I did last night. From what I see I am the only person who does this, surprisingly.

A few weeks ago I landed in Aeroparque during a very slow time and there wasnt much of a line so I took one of the "airport-line" taxis. About 5 minutes into the ride, approaching the Palermo parks, I happened to look at the meter and it was already almost at 10 pesos, which is about the total fare for the entire trip from AEP to my Recoleta apt. I tactfully told the driver that there was a problem and he instantly became very defensive and told me I could get out right there since he does not tolerate being accused of theivery. I did get out, paid nothing per his request, and hailed a regular taxi on the street about 2 seconds later. Thats the only problem I remember having with a taxi here.

But the main issue here is time. Why wait a half hour in the regulated taxi line when you can take a very short walk out to the street and catch one almost instantly.
    What an awful situation there! Not strange at all, allow me to say, I been in argentina the last 10 years and I realize about the mafia (as you called it) who is in charge of the the taxis at the arrivals. The taxis placed in the airport and at the ferry station in Puerto Madero are controlled by the syndicate, that's why they charge the passenger with a larger fee for their services (their meter system is fake) if another strange cab takes place in these places the fellows from the labor union won't hesitate not for a minute to destroy the "outsider" cab.

Thats why you have to wait so long, or you can walk a few blocks and find the solution by yourself.

Mojito

Anywhere downtown, Retiro or Recoleta is within five to ten minutes (maybe twenty if the traffic is heavy)

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    No, go to the airport, check in your luggage and take a cab (about 10 pesos - 5 minutes) to town, visit the "privado", (careful you don't loose your boarding pass) get another taxi to the airport check yourself in with a smile on your face!
    Ok sounds good to me! I am up to Iguazu. Ok so last time I was in BA I only had chicas to my apt. Never made it out to the privados and therefore I have no clue as to the lay (no pun) of the land. What about Gyselle, is that the same area? Or is there a privado that you can say is a safe bet. I don't want to go apt hopping looking. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben There
    Sounds great Exon, but help me out here with logistics. Take my luggage with me to a privado?
    No, go to the airport, check in your luggage and take a cab (about 10 pesos - 5 minutes) to town, visit the "privado", (careful you don't loose your boarding pass) get another taxi to the airport check yourself in with a smile on your face!

Sounds great. Luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    And I'd also figure in an hour in a privato for "Relax" after the long flight before you board another airplane.

Exon
    Sounds great Exon, but help me out here with logistics. Take my luggage with me to a privado?

Ben There. If you arrive on time, then you should taxi to Recoleta or Palermo, hang there awhile, then go to Jorge N. As its really close to these places-- in rush hour traffic we are talking about 15 mins. Upstairs is much nicer than the international airport. Huge windows, nice floors, high ceilings, bars, magazine racks typical stuff but pleasant.

Retired Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    A remis connecting airports costs about 85 pesos.

It'll take you anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour and a half to get your luggage and get out of customs. About 40 minutes to one hour to do the connection depending on what day of the week and what time you are arriving. You need to be at the domestic airport at least one hour before your flight (two hours is safer) so you should make it quite comfortable even with time for a coffee at the domestic airport before your flight!
    And I'd also figure in an hour in a privato for "Relax" after the long flight before you board another airplane.

Exon

A remis connecting airports costs about 85 pesos.

It'll take you anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour and a half to get your luggage and get out of customs. About 40 minutes to one hour to do the connection depending on what day of the week and what time you are arriving. You need to be at the domestic airport at least one hour before your flight (two hours is safer) so you should make it quite comfortable even with time for a coffee at the domestic airport before your flight!

From EZE to AEP. Some help

I am flying in to EZE and then 5 hrs later flying out of AEP. Gents. I have read all the commentary. What should I expect to pay between airports.

Thanks.

At the Aeroparque you should take a remis. They are not much more expensive and they are much safer. You can arrange for one at one of the windows behind you while you wait for your luggage. You are told the price, you pay, you get a slip and when you get your luggage the driver will be waiting for you, he'll take your luggage to the car (which are newish, well cared for and clean) and he knows where you are going to and you don't pay him, just give him the slip. Easy, safe and comfortable

Its been about 11 months since I was in Argentina. The last time I arrived at aeroparke I waited in line and was directed to an old beat-up taxi, the seats were torn-up, the driver was smoking and looked like he needed more sleep. I refused. The 'directing' guy opens the truck and its a stare off. I then proceeded to tell him what a fucking idiot he was for the following reason. Each and every taxi arrives is loaded departs then the next one is called for. One at a time. The curb can hold at least 5 taxis so why not parrellel process? I started demonstrating the concept of parrellel processing and asked him if he understood. There were many other people in line looking at the crazy American. I then told him to call another one as I don't ride in stinking death traps. I think the whole thing is a scam to collect tips from a culture that doesnt believe in tipping. Control of the taxi bullshit. Compare this to any other airport. Fuck em. Go to the street its easier.

Second-time visitor to BA in less than a week, but have never been through AEP (will be arriving from Salta)

The taxi line does not sound very encouraging. I hesitate to line up a remise with my hotel (the Wilton in Barrio Norte) beforehand in case the flight is late or otherwise delayed, but that may be the best option.

That said, has anyone recently taken a cab into town from this airport, and if so how did it go? Thanks.

Sounds familiar.

Sounds like things haven't changed very much with the regulated taxi line at AEP since early 2004. Back then, I had just landed back in BA after a week in El Calafate and was running behind to get back to my hotel in Barrio Norte to meet up with a chica, so rather than wait in line I just walked out to the curb and jumped in the next available cab that came up. I don't think it was a radio taxi and the cab driver looked like a thug. Anyway, I think he intentionally took the most congested streets back to Barrio Norte to run up the meter. This pissed me off but I didn't feel like getting into an argument with the dude. So by the time I arrived back at the Bel Air hotel in Barrio Norte, the cab fare was over 25 pesos. Total rip-off.

Taxi problems / aeroparque

The Aeroparque taxi line is frequently as bad as Moore describes. I have done just as he did - getting the cab on the street. This is apparently illegal but I would guess that the risk is greater for the cab driver. If you do this, do so quickly, moving quickly when you see someone slow down looking for passengers.

The 'overcharge meter' cab got rid of Moore as his claim could have caused real trouble for cabbie. Fixed meters are not amusing to BA officials. It has happened to me one time in maybe 1,000 cab rides, and the cabbie became defensive etc.

Moore,

Is this ripoff scam a relatively new phenomena at Aeroparque? I have flown out of there about at least a half dozen times or so, and never noticed any problems, if I remember correctly when you exit the arrivals hall there is a line of cabs, waiting at taxi stand. I remember there being a mix of radio and street taxis, I would always just go in a cab from a Radio Taxi company that I recognized, and never had any problems. I think sticking to well-known Radio Taxis is a well-established good way of avoiding problems in all taxi situations. Granted, I have not flown out of Aeroparque since the last week in October 2005, so maybe the situation has deteriorated.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Posting Limitations