Avoid them and the line.

I've heard several times that some type of "mafia" controls the taxis at arrivals. I landed last night and as usual there was a line of about 100 people in the taxi line, but only a single taxi appeared, mysteriously, approximately once per minute. That line would be about a 30 minute wait. Conversely, when I left the apparently unregulated Mar Del Plata airport 1 hour earlier, there was a line of maybe 30 taxis logically lined up and waiting for the planeload of passengers about to arrive from BA (the plane I was about to board there).

I walk about 20 meters out to the street just outside of the airport and usually catch one in 2-3 minutes. Thats what I did last night. From what I see I am the only person who does this, surprisingly.

A few weeks ago I landed in Aeroparque during a very slow time and there wasnt much of a line so I took one of the "airport-line" taxis. About 5 minutes into the ride, approaching the Palermo parks, I happened to look at the meter and it was already almost at 10 pesos, which is about the total fare for the entire trip from AEP to my Recoleta apt. I tactfully told the driver that there was a problem and he instantly became very defensive and told me I could get out right there since he does not tolerate being accused of theivery. I did get out, paid nothing per his request, and hailed a regular taxi on the street about 2 seconds later. Thats the only problem I remember having with a taxi here.

But the main issue here is time. Why wait a half hour in the regulated taxi line when you can take a very short walk out to the street and catch one almost instantly.