Thread: El Cuartito

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by El Perro

Is there anyone in town that could take a photo of the current menu and prices?

I will reward you with some chica phone numbers after my next trip.

This is my favorite pizza in BA. The fugazzeta is amazing.

Price hike

Still the best pizza in town, with lots of atmosphere thrown in for nothing. BUT. And its a big but, the prices have soared through the roof.

Chica pizza now circa 42 pesos and a litre of Qulimes 22

Venues: 8
    Yeah, El Cuartito was definitely firing on all cylinders Thursday night!

In the past, I have only had empanadas there a few times, but Thursday I had a couple of chicken empanadas that were devine.

And the pizza! Three pizzas - calebresa, pepperoni (almost the real thing, good flavor) and onion and ham. Tasty tomato sauce, plenty of cheese, nicely cooked crust. Extremely tasty!

Agreed that was some good stuff! Its my favorite in BA.

Nice call on the Fugazetta con Jamon y onion.

Well besides my girl from madahos that's coming up the elevator now before work!
    Last edited by Gato Hunter; 11-20-09 at 22:22. Reason: added stuff

Thumbs up

Dropped by this pizzeria today at lunchtime. Simple yet classic little place, love the posters of the boxing bouts from the 1980s - Hagler, Leonard, Hearns etc - brought back some great memories of the Golden Era of middleweight boxing!

Oh, the pizza.

Ordered the ATOMICA, chica size. Well I finished the pizza easy enough, it wasnt too small or large for me. But I am big eater. Having a very spicy palette I didnt find it overly piccante, but for other people it might be. I ended up spreading some chilli flakes over it to give it a bit more of a kick. The ingredients were fresh and tasty, and the thick crust was perfect for a hungry man after a session at Maipu 359.

23 pesos for a chica pizza I suspect is not super-cheap by BA standards, but for 36 pesos (pizza plus a 1 litre bottle of Cristal) it was a nice lunch.

Thank you Guiller I will definitly drop by that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

Place is not for me since its not thin crust.
    Hi,

I posted a list of some recommended pizza restaurants here:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=4622

For thin crust pizza, you could give a try to "Los Inmortales", in Corrientes Ave at the corner of Uruguay St.

All the best

I went there about a week ago. This place is all about the fact thats been there from the 30s. Basicly, its a thick crust pizza hut with that oily and crispy bottom that I don't like. To me a pizza if not thin crust, is not a pizza.

Took whatever best pizza they have on the menu the fully loaded one (didnt get the that thousand island mayo on top of palmito wich ended up covering the whole pizza, killing the taste of the mozza / parma cheese combo and all the rest. Anyways large for some 55p+ ate half took the rest to my place, next day looked at it in the fridge and straight to the basura.

Place is not for me since its not thin crust.

Do NOT order the fugazetta con jamon grande unless there is more than two of you. My buddy and I went that route last night and barely made our way through half of it, despite being famished. We then boxed up the remainder against local convention and gave it to one of the little beggar girls at Exedra.

Diego

I forgot to mention that El Cuartito has enshrined on the wall a soccer jersey signed by Diego Maradona himself. You can feel the presence.

Also they have Stella Artois.

I also wanted to say that for a good choripan, there's a little parilla right near El Cuartito. You go out and head left toward Av. Cordoba, it's right at the beginning of the next block on the right. It's not the Ritz (nowhere I go is) but it's fine for a cheap lunch. I think the name of it is Plan B or something.

Also there's another place for pizza, you leave El Cuartito and head right toward Av Santa Fe, it's in the middle of the next block on the left. Decent pizza, not as good as El Cuartito. It's called La Continental.
    Last edited by Rockin Bob; 05-03-07 at 18:09. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Bob
    This is where I go for pizza, and I'm from New York. What more can I say?
    I'll be there again tonight. I hit this place about once every two weeks, and it's not around the corner for me anymore. A good place to start off the night, followed by a walk to Exedra, and then whatever the night brings.

El Cuartito

This is where I go for pizza, and I'm from New York. What more can I say?

Thumbs up Thanks for the recommendation guys

Ok I finally got a chance to check out El Cuartito,.

The minute we got into the cab, the driver asked where we were going, the moment I said El Cuartito, he starts telling me how it is the best pizza place in BA. This is a very good sign for me.

We get there around 7 pm, the place is nice, somewhat homey feel to it, many business men standing around eating pizza and drinking beer. Also many couples sitting down at the tables. The three of us sat down by the window. The service was prompt and very polite. We ordered 3 drinks (2 sodas and 1 water) we then ordered 2 porciones of mozzarella cheese pizza for my friend, 2 empanadas (1 meat 1 chicken) and a small Pizza Atomica for my girlfriend and I to share.

They brought the drinks quickly and 5 minutes later my friend had his cheese pizza and we had the empanadas. The empanadas were good. Not as good as the ones at El Mirasol but much better than many others I have tried. The pizza my friend had (I had to try some) was fricken delicious. Made me think of back home right away. Thick good quality crust, almost deep dish like. Yummy tomato sauce base, and really tasty mozzarella cheese. The BEST cheese pizza I have had in BA, HANDS DOWN. About 10 minutes later the Atomica made it's apearance. The pizza was also very good. It was packed with crushed red peppers, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, sausage, and Tabasco sauce. We could not finish the pizza at it is easily enough for 3 people, I had 3 slices and was done.

I would honestly say they have the best american style pan pizza in Buenos Aires. I would probably not hit another pizza place in BA. If you like thin crust, don't bother coming here. They only have thick crust.

The prices are $1.80-$3.50 for single slices, $8-$20 for small pizzas and $15-$42 for the large pizzas. The empanadas are $2 pesos each. I would say a small pizza is more than enough for 2 people and just enough for 3. The total bill came out to $35 pesos add a $5 peso tip and the total meal for three hungry individuals was $40 AR, or about $13 US. The only hitch for me is, since I live in Las Canitas, it is a $25 peso round trip taxi ride. But it is definitely worth the price. I would recommend this place to all ex-pats or simple tourists who find themselves craving US style thick crust pizza.

PS, they deliver, though I don't know if they will come all the way to where I live. I willl be sure to find out next time. Plus, I took the pizza I didn't eat home with me. I certainly don't have any socio-econimc hang ups regarding taking home pizza leftovers. That was some good ass take home pizza I just ate 5 minutes ago.

Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Badboy13
    I will be there Tomorrow, my report will be forthcoming. I hope you guys know what you are talking about. I have searched far and wide for good pizza, I have also looked for consistantly good empanadas. This place sounds really good.

Bad
    Bad,

My favorites are the Napolitana and the Fugazetta. If you are a die hard thin pizza fan El Cuartito will not be for you, however, if you are in the mood for a high cholesterol, knock me down and drag me out pizza-this is the place. And yes, the futbol and boxing posters from "the day" are great.

Posting Limitations