Thread: Local buses (colectivos)

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by AllIWantIsLove
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    If you're at home (the do have a mobile site if you're not) Just click where you are and where you're going and it tells you what to take. Busses, trains, subways.

http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-aires/colectivos/
    User friendly. A great resource.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

This is easier than Guia-T

Quote Originally Posted by BigMic  [View Original Post]
    During rush hour gridlock the subway is the only way to get around quick, although usually crowded. Most 24 hr kiosks, including the one near AA departures at EZE have ATM like machines where you can charge up your card, as well as adding cellular minutes. Cards good for all local buses as well as the subway. Even for the language challenged it's easy to use, just tell the driver where you're going and put the card flat on the reader. Can pick up a copy of GUIA-T for 25p at any newstand which details the bus lines by location (www.guiat-digital.com.ar).
    If you're at home (the do have a mobile site if you're not) Just click where you are and where you're going and it tells you what to take. Busses, trains, subways.

http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-aires/colectivos/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

'Sube' subway/bus card a must

During rush hour gridlock the subway is the only way to get around quick, although usually crowded. Most 24 hr kiosks, including the one near AA departures at EZE have ATM like machines where you can charge up your card, as well as adding cellular minutes. Cards good for all local buses as well as the subway. Even for the language challenged it's easy to use, just tell the driver where you're going and put the card flat on the reader. Can pick up a copy of GUIA-T for 25p at any newstand which details the bus lines by location (www.guiat-digital.com.ar).

Saves You A Lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas90  [View Original Post]
    Guys who live here will know this, but no mention yet in this thread about the tarjeta 'Sube' which I used on a recent visit. A friendly chica who uses the colectivos to get home after work tipped me off about it. I picked up mine for 15 pesos at the locutorio in Las Heras 2180 in Recoleta which opens until 9pm. Took less than a minute to buy the thing. You can get the tarjeta (plastic card) from most post offices (correo) but I avoid these as the queues are even worse than in England. It works like the BIP card in Santiago or the Oyster in London. Good for use on the buses and the Subte. You charge it up at the outlet you buy it from (I put 10 pesos on for starters) then at any locutorio or lottery shop showing the Sube posters. Saves fumbling for coins, you touch it against the card reader on the front of the bus located by the windscreen as you get in, and the fare is deducted from your pre-paid balance. NB You need to tell the driver what fare you want, before holding the card to the touch pad. One peso twenty ('uno veinte') is good for local journeys. Didn't have time to research what the cost would be for longer bus trips. If you're too quick and touch the card before the driver has registered your fare, the reader tells you the card is invalid. Buses seem to come along quickly here, not keen on taxis anyway so it's a way to save some money. Downside is you have to register your tarjeta over the internet within 30 days of purchase or they may cancel it. For big brother reasons I never register the cards I use in my home city, but wouldn't have a problem doing so for a short trip here.

Other members have posted elsewhere some useful links showing how to get from A to B on the colectivos. Guessing one of these would show the price plan and the zones.
    Fuck the cabs!

If your here a month and you stay in Palermo then you will waste at least 100 a day on cabs and that's about 3 grand for Chica Time!

TL.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Colectivos (Buses)

http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-...tivo/linea-59/

Quote Originally Posted by Guiller  [View Original Post]
    Hi,

A few links with bus lines information:

www.loscolectivos.com.ar

www.xcolectivo.com.ar

www.comoviajo.com (this link might be down)

These could be used along with:

www.endondequeda.com

www.cybermapa.com.ar

www.mapred.com

All the best

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WorldTravel69 For This Post:

Tarjeta "Sube"

Guys who live here will know this, but no mention yet in this thread about the tarjeta 'Sube' which I used on a recent visit. A friendly chica who uses the colectivos to get home after work tipped me off about it. I picked up mine for 15 pesos at the locutorio in Las Heras 2180 in Recoleta which opens until 9pm. Took less than a minute to buy the thing. You can get the tarjeta (plastic card) from most post offices (correo) but I avoid these as the queues are even worse than in England. It works like the BIP card in Santiago or the Oyster in London. Good for use on the buses and the Subte. You charge it up at the outlet you buy it from (I put 10 pesos on for starters) then at any locutorio or lottery shop showing the Sube posters. Saves fumbling for coins, you touch it against the card reader on the front of the bus located by the windscreen as you get in, and the fare is deducted from your pre-paid balance. NB You need to tell the driver what fare you want, before holding the card to the touch pad. One peso twenty ('uno veinte') is good for local journeys. Didn't have time to research what the cost would be for longer bus trips. If you're too quick and touch the card before the driver has registered your fare, the reader tells you the card is invalid. Buses seem to come along quickly here, not keen on taxis anyway so it's a way to save some money. Downside is you have to register your tarjeta over the internet within 30 days of purchase or they may cancel it. For big brother reasons I never register the cards I use in my home city, but wouldn't have a problem doing so for a short trip here.

Other members have posted elsewhere some useful links showing how to get from A to B on the colectivos. Guessing one of these would show the price plan and the zones.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas90 For This Post:

Another great site

The following is a new version of one listed in the 2006 post. It let's you enter 2 addresses and determine which colectivo is best for you to take. Also allows you to switch directions for the return trip (Ida / Vuelta.

http://mapa2.buenosaires.gov.ar

Sysco

So just-

RETIREMENT means RETIRO in reallife.

Retired Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Tim  [View Original Post]
    Hey Gang,

Here's a useful web link to maps of BA with colored highlights of individual colectivo routes. The map can be manipulated for scale and I find it quite useful:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...f1UuDbJrgOI6NA

Since the "ida" and "regreso" routes are shown on each map, I usually have a guia handy to determine the direction of the lines. For example, on the 152 line the "ida" runs along Marcelo de Alvear while the "regreso" along Santa Fe in the Barrio Norte area. When looking at the colored map, zoom in on this area of the route to determine the direction of each colored route. In this case ida would be the red line while regreso would be the blue. If you were headed to Palermo from MC, in this case use the red line to see where in Palermo the 152 would take you.

I'd be interested if this relationship is consistent (I. E. Red line always "ida".

Hope this helps,

Tim.

================================================================

Here's the direct link, just in case anyone wants to peruse the maps without the "benefit" of the google translator:

http://www.masmapas.com/

Thanks,

Jackson
    Excellent post Tim.

Exon

Collectivo Map Website With Routes Highlighted

Hey Gang,

Here's a useful web link to maps of BA with colored highlights of individual colectivo routes. The map can be manipulated for scale and I find it quite useful:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...f1UuDbJrgOI6NA

Since the "ida" and "regreso" routes are shown on each map, I usually have a guia handy to determine the direction of the lines. For example, on the 152 line the "ida" runs along Marcelo de Alvear while the "regreso" along Santa Fe in the Barrio Norte area. When looking at the colored map, zoom in on this area of the route to determine the direction of each colored route. In this case ida would be the red line while regreso would be the blue. If you were headed to Palermo from MC, in this case use the red line to see where in Palermo the 152 would take you.

I'd be interested if this relationship is consistent (i.e. red line always "ida").

Hope this helps,

Tim

================================================================

Here's the direct link, just in case anyone wants to peruse the maps without the "benefit" of the google translator:

http://www.masmapas.com/

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Go
    Beware of pickpockets on both the subte and collectivos. Especially in the crush at the door when you are exiting.

They are both packed during prime time.
    They hit me when entering the subte car last year.

This basically amounts to an electronic Guia-T:

http://www.comoviajo.com

Click on ¿QUE ME TOMO?, then enter the information for ORIGEN and DESTINO (use "Capital Federal" for Localidad)

You'll get all the buses and subte combinations that will take you from where you are to where you want to go.

There's more to the site, too, but that appears to address the colectivo issue.

Beware of pickpockets on both the subte and collectivos. Especially in the crush at the door when you are exiting.

They are both packed during prime time.

Retired Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrayLight
    Here's a guide to using the Guia-T for finding the colectivo that's best for you:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g3...nos.Aires.html
    Thank You StrayLight that's valuable information I'll use soon.

Exon

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Excellent. I have been using colectivos for a long time, and just recently started using the subte more. Thing is, if you get damn good with the colectivo routes, you won't have to trek to the subte station. Between the two, you can get around town for next to nothing. And, they are not that slow, especially the subte.
    If you live near to a station and you have to go far away near to a station it's probably faster then a cab.

Try to avoid rush hours if you can .

Posting Limitations