Thread: Taxi Fuel

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Moore
    I think maybe a lesser percentage of cabs, as opposed to private cars, run on GNC, because of the luggage issue I mentioned. Also based on anecdotal observance today in the microcenter, those taxis that are NOT radio taxis are more likely to be running on diesel. Why? As a guess, older cabs so not worth converting, and poorer owners who can't afford to convert. Basically my sources were saying that anyone who can convert, does, pretty much.

Also I think there are still some areas of Argentina where availability of GNC remains an issue, although I am sure this is less true every day. I base this on the fact that even recent road maps of the country make a big deal about where you can and can't get GNC.

Somewhere on Paraguay between Callao and 9 de Julio there is a station that advertises discounts on GNC at particular times of particular days (Friday nights? Don't remember? And that is really a fucking zoo.

1) I often chat with taxi drivers and sometimes ask them about their cars. I can barely recall one that didnt run on GNC.

2) I sometimes go to the YPF station close to Cordoba and Callao and there are usually tons of taxis there. I don't recall seeing one fill up with anything but GNC.

3) Ive travelled on Route 2 between BA and Mar Del Plata many times. Apparently, the stations on the route are Gasoline or GNC. Pulling into a regular Esso (gasoline) is just like pulling into an Exxon on a US interstate (maybe 4 bays and you rarely have to wait). The GNC stations are quite a spectacle - often 100+ cars in line stretching well out into the shoulder of the highway. It looks like photos Ive seen taken during the 1973? oil embargo. Most of these cars are not taxis of course.

So I'm basing my statement on what Ive seen many times in many places. I realize that that doesnt necessarily count for anything. Dont believe what you see everyday, only believe what you read.

I talked to one of my favorite cabbies today and he said he thinks that >50% but <65% of the taxis are burning CNG now, and the % is increasing all the time. He says there are definitely many diesel-burning Peugeots still on the road, though. He is still burning diesel and would love to switch but doesn't have the capital. He says that in addition to being about half the cost of diesel and one-third the cost of gasoline, that CNG gives off fewer fumes. He says he goes home with a headache at the end of every shift from the diesel fumes of the colectivos, but he also says if he runs his air conditioning he can smell his own diesel engine coming through the vents.

However, here in the provincias, a lot of the taxis burn gasoline, per the taxi starter at the local Carrefour. Again an issue is the tank. His perception may be skewed because if they burn CNG and have the tank in trunk, they can't really come to the Carrefour since the people using the taxis from there will need a lot of trunk space. But we get remises here a lot and they mostly burn gasoline.

Yes, petroleum destroys rubber. Best bet would be to take one of the wheels off and use bearing grease. That'll destroy the rubber too but it will make such a shitty mess you will never know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    Gas, lp, diesel. None and I mean none of these can be used as lube for butt sex! Well maybe diesel would work in a pinch.
    No Daddy, I'm afraid not. It would immediately ruin your raincoat.

Who cares?

Gas, lp, diesel. None and I mean none of these can be used as lube for butt sex! Well maybe diesel would work in a pinch.

Retired Member

Checkmark

Argentine Taxi's, Private cars & Remis's run on either Gasoline or Propane.

When Ana Luna bought her new car last December she had it converted with the option of burning either Gas or Propane.

Ana told me that buy burning Propane she saves a minmum of $25 peso's per day using Propane over Gasoline.

I'm not sure but it seamed to me that Gasoline was selling for nearly 4 dollars per gallon. Thats the reason for the Propane many Cars burn.

Exon

Hi Exon,

Yes, and that propane tank takes up half the trunk space, which is why if you have two pieces of luggage, you're going to be sharing the back seat with one of them.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    "gas-oil, which is not diesel fuel, but a gasoline-oil mixture similar to what you would put in your lawn mower or weedwacker"

A gasoline-oil mixture is for two-cycle or two-stroke engines, sometimes known as a "rice burner." While I believe Saab made a two-cycle passenger car (I think it had three cylinders) in the late 50s and early 60s, the cabs in BA have four-cycle engines. They don't use a gasoline-oil mixture. Furthermore, different types of two cycle engines require different proportions in the mixture, typically ranging from about 16 to 1 to about 40 to 1. How do you achieve that with something that comes out of a common pump?

Now the Yamaha RD400 Daytona, the "Pocket Rocket," now that was a two-cycle engine and a bitchin' one at that. Damn I wish I had held on to one of mine. A true classic. Two-stroke motorcycles have been banned in the good old USA for many years, because they have higher levels of emissions.

CNG / GNC is much cheaper than even the cheapest grade of gasoline. One disadvantage is that the tank eats up much of your trunk space. Another minor inconvenience is that everybody has to get out of the car while it's been filled up. Or at least they're supposed to.
    That's it. What the fuck do I know about this stuff? Nada.

While doing my best to support the war in Iraq, all I know is that it took 31 gallons to fill up my Chevrolet Main Battle Tank yesterday evening. Eighty bucks! Glad to see this so-called "War for Oil" has given me cheap gasoline. LOL. Man, I could have had a couple of hours with a nice honey in Buenos Aires, or even a couple of nice honeys, for what I spent in 5 minutes at the gas station.

Heck, I hope the Marines zap a couple of hajjis for those 31 gallons. Gotta make an extra donation to the Semper Fi Fund today. http://www.semperfifund.org

"gas-oil, which is not diesel fuel, but a gasoline-oil mixture similar to what you would put in your lawn mower or weedwacker"

A gasoline-oil mixture is for two-cycle or two-stroke engines, sometimes known as a "rice burner." While I believe Saab made a two-cycle passenger car (I think it had three cylinders) in the late 50s and early 60s, the cabs in BA have four-cycle engines. They don't use a gasoline-oil mixture. Furthermore, different types of two cycle engines require different proportions in the mixture, typically ranging from about 16 to 1 to about 40 to 1. How do you achieve that with something that comes out of a common pump?

Now the Yamaha RD400 Daytona, the "Pocket Rocket," now that was a two-cycle engine and a bitchin' one at that. Damn I wish I had held on to one of mine. A true classic. Two-stroke motorcycles have been banned in the good old USA for many years, because they have higher levels of emissions.

CNG / GNC is much cheaper than even the cheapest grade of gasoline. One disadvantage is that the tank eats up much of your trunk space. Another minor inconvenience is that everybody has to get out of the car while it's being filled up. Or at least they're supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Many of the old Peugeot taxis I see in town, look to be from the era when I sold them in the states (1975-6) The 504s were produced with both gas and diesel engines. So, definitely many of those models run on diesel, unless they have been "fixed".
    A very high proportion run on natural gas or a natural gas, maybe propane. I don't know in English. I've made a pit stop or two, and have watched the drivers refill the "gas tank" using a hose which attaches to a nipple under the front hood. I don't know if it is cheaper or gives better performance than gasoline. Perhaps one of our resident motorheads can say.

Many of the old Peugeot taxis I see in town, look to be from the era when I sold them in the states (1975-6) The 504s were produced with both gas and diesel engines. So, definitely many of those models run on diesel, unless they have been "fixed".

Mongers,

99% of taxis definetly do not run on natural gas, and I am pretty sure that a grand total of zero taxis run on diesel. I would say that the taxis are split about 50-50 between GNC (natural gas) and gas-oil, which is not diesel fuel, but a gasoline-oil mixture similar to what you would put in your lawn mower or weedwacker.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

"About 99% of taxis run on natural gas."

That is complete bullshit. There are way more diesel taxis than there are natural gas. I can prove it. I just saw two diesel taxis go by and only one running on GNC. So that proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    But most of you fucks will just continue to take taxis anyway, and if that works for you, fine, but you will never learn the city that way. Plus there is a lot of trim to be found on the train, bus, and Subte, and you are helping to care for the environment. Every time you drive or use a taxi, you are supporting the war in Iraq and the imperialism it represents.
    Most taxis run on natural gas. Argentina produces more of it than Iraq, Dickhead.

BTW you seem to try and fit Buenos Aires into a gridlike system - North, South, East, West, etc. Thats why you never learn the city. This ain't Cleveland. Try thinking like that in Paris and you'll be equally befuddled and lost.

Posting Limitations