View Poll Results: Should reports be Moderated?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the current system is okay.

24 43.64%
  • No, the current system is not the problem.

10 18.18%
  • Yes, but for new members only.

12 21.82%
  • Yes, everybody's reports should be moderated.

9 16.36%

Thread: Should reports be moderated?

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Don't think reports need immediate moderation

2% of the members are causing 90% of the problems. I know it might be a pain in the ass, but maybe you can pm those guys who seem to always be at the center of the fray, and let them know they are a detriment to the board. Pull them to the carpet, and ask them what they are going to do to change this behavior. Because we've been talking about this problem lately, I think it's having a positive effect on the board.

With that being said, I think another reason why the board has transitioned into a flame fest (beyond the 2% who tend to promote this behavior) is due to the fact that more and more members are trying to profit from this board. As a result, many of the major flame wars (Alamo flame, Taxi Driver flame, Mayra flame, Saint flame, Mansion flame) in the past year were started because a monger questioned someone's services, and other members quickly jumped in to support him or her.

I'm not sure how to address this problem because mongers need to voice their dissatisfaction when services don't meet their expectations. This is one of the reasons why I respect Saint, he completely disassociated his business from this board and doesn't rely on the members to operate his business.

Anyways, those are my observations.

Thanks,

Judd

Hi Judd,

This is one of the reasons why I respect Saint, he completely disassociated his business from this board and doesn't rely on the members to operate his business.
    With all due respect, Saint stopped "marketing" his apartments on the Forum because he made a determination that as a group, sport fuckers are too cheap to rent apartments at his price point.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson

Perhaps the solution is to make reports visible immediately, but limit members to one post every 6 hours. This would create a sort of "cooling off" period between posts. My guess is that a lot of guys would lose their motivation for arguing if they had to wait before they responded to another member's report.

Thanks,

Jackson
    But it looks to me like some of the guys who live in BsAs log on from time to time and respond to several posts/questions. Sometimes I have gotten behind on reviews and will post more than one in a few minutes.

I don't see how you can throttle the offensive posts/posters without throttling the helpful posts/posters too. That would be an unfortunate trade off.

AllIWantIsLove

Instantaneous message posting is important. I'd prefer to see you co-op members to act on your behalf to head off an errant discussion than to slow the posting of reports by senior members.

FT

Hi Full Throttle,

The problem that I perceive is not "errant discussions", it's "argumentative discussions".

In any event, anyone who was moderating the forum would have the same issue that I have: Once the exchange starts, it can escalate into an argument within a matter of minutes. You can't prevent this unless you monitor every post as it appears like a chat room, and nobody is going to to that.

Perhaps the solution is to make reports visible immediately, but limit members to one post every 6 hours. This would create a sort of "cooling off" period between posts. My guess is that a lot of guys would lose their motivation for arguing if they had to wait before they responded to another member's report.

Thanks,

Jackson

Jackson,.

When I first discovered AP, I found the forum to be both informative and entertaining. I have not been back on line for a few months due to tax season. I was surprised to find the amount of discord between members, no longer the gentlemanly, more or less, discourse I was use to.

IMHO, it now appears AP does need some level of moderation to insure those of us who have enjoyed the forum in the past and new members attracted for the information and camaraderie that goes along with mongering in BA can enjoy using this valuable source of information without having to tolerate the "idiots" that seem to believe their opinion is the only one of value.

Doppelganger

I would normally not post a Private Message received but I will in this case, especially since it contains no private data. Dearly departed Goblin wrote this to me about a week ago:

"I guess I'll never really know although Jackson does seem like a pretty reasonable guy. Frankly I'm blown away with amazement that I have not been banned. If I was Jackson I would have banned me."

At this point, it seems pertinent to highlight the fact that some members want to be banned.

Hi Moore,

It's a quirkly little fact about running forums: There are indeed some people who derive some measure of satisfaction by causing trouble and being banned. In fact, I had to throttle back on my use of the "Serial Antagonist" polls on the other forums because I ascertained that there were people who were actually aspiring to receive the title.

The embarrassing thing about Goblin is that I played right into him. I had banned him a couple of years ago, and he emailed me last year complaining that his ban had been unfair and that he really wanted to participate in the Argentina forum and that he had a lot of info about Argentina to contribute, etc., etc., etc., and like an idiot myself, I lifted his ban.

Thanks,

Jackson

Retired Member

Thumbs down

Jackson.

Get Rid Of This "Jack Off"

Exon

keep Marak5 ban the rest

Jackson.

I think the best thing to do is change the name to "Marak5 Forums." The forum would include only reports from Marak5 and his opinions. Only a select few dectractors would be allowed to remain but Marak5 would have supermod status and ban them all eventually. This is the only possible way to keep the forums alive or else argentinaprivate will die out in the next 10-15 days.

Marak

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Bob
    Look at the thread for Rouge! There's all these post about the NFL. There was this incident there the other night, sure I want the details, but then there's this big chit chat!

I think posts should be assigned a time limit by some sort of system. Something like these NFL posts should expire after a day or two. The really good reports should stay forever. But I guess there's no practical way to do this?

Hi Rockin Bob,

Actually that is possible, and I've considered it. All it would require some software programming. As I've envisioned it, in the admin moderation screen there would be a check box that if checked when the report was being reviewed, would flag the report for automatic deletion in a preset time period, perhaps one week later.

Thanks,

Jackson
    From my experience post deletion messes things up. I've been in other forums where someone replies to a post that no longer exists and it's very hard to follow. In fact, I saw this in the WSG forum where a member was banned and all his replies were deleted (albeit for good reason) However, the end result was the whole topic was about him and it made no sense.

Making it a paid board wouldn't solve the problem. A person with money can still be an asshole.

This would also significantly reduce the number of reports (including the good ones) There are many members that don't live in Argentina or have only visited it once that aren't steady posters that have great information to share when they are able to.

Having to prove yourself to forego moderation may be an alternative as mentioned earlier?

Hi Tinman45,

Actually, it's a proven fact that paid forums have a LOT fewer idiots. First, the idiots aren't willing to pay even a small amount for anything (everything on the internet should be free). Second, as paid members, if they get banned, they'd have to pay again to get another membership.

Thanks,

Jackson

I voted the current system is not the problem. Making it a paid board won't eliminate it, but I'd agree and certainly wouldn't mind it reducing the clutter.

If the initial rate doesn't cut it, raise it. $50, 100, whatever it takes. Have a few public threads that chicas advertising themselves and such can post into via simple registration.

Dear el Jefe Jackson, here I go with a few suggestions:

1-The Regular / Senior member system on the old WSG used to work, in effect prohibiting the forum from becoming a chat room. As you mentioned, WSG (and now AP, ISG and USA Sex Guide) are research tools, not permanent records of chatter between people.

2- If above is implemented tightly, then make the "Senior Member" status a real privilage by not giving it out lightly.

3-Make an option available for the posters so that at the time of posting one can make his own post "auto expire" in a given time. For instance, if I see a nice report XYZ had written, I'd like to have the option of telling XYZ publicly what a good job he has done. While I like congratulating him and I'm sure XYZ will appreciate the kind words, there is no reason this should become part of the permanent record.

4-Alternatively, you could set the "default" such that ALL posts auto expire, unless some intervention is done.

5-The intervention above could be your review making the post permanent, or to further automate the process, have a button at the end of each post syaing "make this point permanent". If enough distinct members press this button then the post automatically becomes permanent.

6-About making this forum a paid one: You know I have absloutely no problem supporting the forum, but I do think that making it a paid forum will result in loss of at least some talent. Additionally, this may create the expectations that since one has paid, he is entitled to receive information without having to contribute. This in essence will kill the sense of fraternity and community.

7-Last but not least, I'm sure there are many of us who would love to help you. Why not break up the job of moderation between a handful of trustworthy people, and have them weed out the garbage?

I am eternally greatful to you for the gift that you have given all of us. You have saved so many people so much grief by having information available to them. Who knows how many friendships have formed as a result of this forum? I for one have made at least 5 serious friends as a direct result of my membership in this forum. Let's keep it as a resource.

I read the board to find out about new apartments, boliches, restaurants, and whatever else I might learn to improve the quality of my vacations in Buenos Aires. Lately there seems to be more garbage and unnecessary in-fighting to plow thru before finding any useful information.

I would like to see postings edited monthly. Save the ones that have valuable info and delete all the time / space wasters that report for the sake of seeing their handle in cyberspace.

Retired Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    Jackson,

This is real easy for you from my perspective.

You have "Senoir Members" & "Regular Members"

I beiieve You should Moderate all regular menbers until they've proven to You that their posts are worthy.

In essance You promote a member after he's proven to the board he's not a piece of Shit.

Exon.

Hi Exon,

That's the way the other forums function, and it does prevent a sizeable amount of mindless chatter, but certainly not all. Of course people complain about the delay, and I'm sure that it's caused me to lose members to my competition, who runs a completely unmoderated forum.

Perhaps I should go back to that system.

Thanks,

Jackson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson,

Thats the way you ran it in the past and we had no where near the "Bull Shit" fucking posters we've experienced in the last 6 to 8 months.

IMHO, you've given a bunch "Yaa Hoo's" "Senior Status" to quickly and they have abused the privilege by posting Jibberish. Our recient "Friend" Goblin is a good example. Turns out the guy is not a Monger and has never been to Buenos Aires, yet we had to put up with him until you put your heavy hand down on him.

Fuck this Shit, you make our new members earn their Senior Membership's.

Exon

"like a governor that limits the speed of the motor so it doesn't over-rev."

NASCAR does it with their restrictor plates!

I think the current system is fine. However, if you want to fine-tune things, you might consider reinstating the "hold" feature on reports by Regular Members, and not posting anything by Regular Members that is not either a question or the posting of information. By and large most of the Senior Members here offer substantial information interspersed with chit-chat, which I find valuable (or at least entertaining).

Applying this policy to the Goblin situation would be an example of how this kind of moderation would cancel out such a problem. While he managed to make nearly 200 posts on the board, there were absolutely no contributions or genuine questions - and by not crediting those posts toward Senior Status, his head would never have poked itself above water.

You might also want to bar off-topic posts. Arguing about politics or religion is a net negative for the board, although there are some off-topic areas which aren't so prone to controversy as those two.

Finally, I think transitioning this board to a "Paid Board" status would reduce the bullshit by a factor of 90%.

Posting Limitations