This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Hello Charles,

I had the same problem time ago, thankfully I saved the information:

You have to dial:

[International access code]-54-9-XX-[8 digit phone number]

[International access code] is the access code from your country (011 from the USA)

[8 digit phone number] are the digits after the 15.

---------------------------------------------------------

The coding in this dialing sequence is:

54 = Argentina country code.

9 = Argentina mobile network code.

XX = Local area code (in your case 223, in BA it will be 11)

[phone number] = The actual mobile phone number, not including the 15, used only inside Argentina.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps,

Diego

Thanks guys. I was dialing the 15 prefix but it would pop up an error before I even finished dialing. I guess my apt phone doesn't allow calling cells.

dialing cellphone from apt

Some landline phones in apartments require a calling card to call cellphones--but not other landlines. Telephonica most certain, not sure about telecom. Try a $5p calling card. My guess it will work.

Calling a BsAs cell from any BsAs line is 15-xxxx-xxxx.

From a foreign country to BsAs cell its +54 9 11 xxxx-xxxx. Omit the 9 for calls to landlines.

You play with the prefix digits a little more calling to/from provincia, but the last 8 digits are always the same. IIRC, calling a BsAs cell from any Mar del Plata line is 011 15 xxxx-xxxx.

Calling Argentina

For land line #s the correct way to call to Argentina is this:

+ 54 - 11 - 4777xxxx.

+ stands for your multicarrier.

54 is the international code for Argentina.

11 is Buenos Aires.

4777xxxx is the local number, some starts with 4 and others (few) with a 5

Always local numbers are 8

For calling a cellphone dial:

+ 54 - 911 - 555xxxxx.

So for cellphones the rule is to add a 9 before the 11 (when in Buenos Aires)

To call locally a cellphone you should dial 15-555xxxxx

If you are dialing a cell phone in BA, Argentina - after your outbound country code you need to dial 54-911-XXXX-XXXX.

The 15-XXXX-XXXX form is only if you are dialing that cell from within Argentina.

Vonage Experience

Ordered from Vonage and brought with me a Linksys RTP300. I did not bring the supplied adapter as it wouldn't have worked here. (And was glad not to as the damn thing weighs a ton. Bought an adapter here which had the same output voltage and amperage. Also bought the phone here to save some space and weight in my luggage.

The instructions give you a choice between plugging the thing into either your cable modem or your own router but do say what to do in a hotel. I think that I followed the directions for a cable modem.

Unfortunately I did not take notes so I don't recall how I solved the problem that at first the phone did not work. I think that it involved the fact that the hotel requires a password. Another problem was that my VPN connection to my office would not work initially. That one concerned me because the router's default is to allow IPSec Passthrough and PPTP Passthrough. But PPPoE Passthrough was not allowed by default, and when I enabled it my VPN connection worked.

Frankly I expected that I'd need some help from the hotel's Internet expert, but in the end I fumbled my way through it successfully by myself.

I am certainly more PC and Internet savy than the average bloke who carries a laptop around, so I cannot say how daunting this would have been for someone will a lot less PC / Internet knowledge.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Quester3
    Anyone know if the euro round plugs is more prevalent as socket types or is it the diagonal slash australia / argentina plug E type that is more common in Buenos Aires?
    Bring both adpaters, and probably two of each.

Moondog

Anyone know if the euro round plugs is more prevalent as socket types or is it the diagonal slash australia / argentina plug E type that is more common in Buenos Aires?

USB modems require dial in access (DSL) if you have a regular Dsl modem, then you can stay connected continuosly, besides that, usb modems don't come with a firewall, therefore your PC is subject to continious attacks over the net. The only plus about USB modems; is that they are cheaper. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Dsl

Moondog,

DSL requires a telephone line, it uses the wires of an existing phone line and transmits the data on frequencies above the phone's audio band. The telephone however does not have to "work". The line just has to be hooked up to the DSL equipment in the exchange, and you have to connect your DSL router or modem to the line via a "splitter" that separates DSL and phone frequencies.

Btw. Technically DSL is also always on, like a cable connection. It is only that to be able to charge DSL connections by time many providers put a protocol called PPPoE on top of that connection, that simulates dial in access - an anachronism in the time of flat rates, but it started that way and we probably will have to live with it. If you buy a router, this box will start the connection on demand and you again have the feeling of being always connected.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

Vonage Phones / Cable vs DSL

My experience with DSL is limited, but of the computers that I have used with DSL, a separate connection has to be made. This is unlike cable, which is always on.

If only DSL is available, does the DSL have to be connected and on before the telephone will work?

Thanks,

Moondog

Sending Text Messages

Quote Originally Posted by Darien
    Fellow Members:

If anyone knows, please tell me how to send a text message between cell phones from the USA to Argentina and from Argentina to the USA. In particular, I would like to know using a T-Mobile cell in the USA.

I know how to call cell phones from the USA to Argentina. For phone calls the sequence is as follow:

011 - 54 - 9 - (city code) - (cell number excluding the initial two digits 15)

Where:

011 = international line access from the USA.

9 = code indicating the call is to a cell phone.

City code = for example Buenos aires is 11

I would appreciate knowing the sequences for sending text messages between the two countries.
    Darien,

From the USA use the numbers 011-54-11-XXXX-XXXX, where X is the telephone number of the person that you are sending a message too. This works for Personal in Argentina and Cingular in the U.S. Do not use spaces or hyphens for this number.

As El Greco points out, each carrier is different, and you have to make sure that T-Mobile has an agreement for text messages in Argentina. Each carrier in Argentina has their own way of receiving them as well. So once you have found out that T Mobile has an agreement, just try sending messages until you find a way that works.

Moondog

Quote Originally Posted by Darien
    Fellow Members:

If anyone knows, please tell me how to send a text message between cell phones from the USA to Argentina and from Argentina to the USA. In particular, I would like to know using a T-Mobile cell in the USA.

I know how to call cell phones from the USA to Argentina. For phone calls the sequence is as follow:

Darien
    I am sending messages from every place I am visiting.

You just send it using the same phone number as for calling.

The problem is that is necessary your cell company to have a commercial.

Agreement for text messages too with the company you are going to use while abroad.

Inquire them before you go.

El Greco

Question Sending Cell Text Messages USA-Argentina

Fellow Members:

011 - 54 - 9 - (city code) - (cell number excluding the initial two digits 15)

Where:

011 = international line access from the USA.

9 = code indicating the call is to a cell phone.

City code = for example Buenos aires is 11

I would appreciate knowing the sequences for sending text messages between the two countries.

Probably Sir Jackson knows how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darien

Posting Limitations