Thread: Argentine Coffee

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Moore
    That's the place, De Cafe. Are they actually offering French Roast on the board? I got them to start roasting Brazilian Moka to Dark French Roast about a year ago. They also deliver, no charge, on a 1/2 kilo.

On the other hand I just brought back a pound of Peet's Dark French Roast from San Francisco. Whatever they do there it's hard to get up on that! Seriously good coffee.

I've been going to a little coffee roasting shop at Pueyrredon 1529 (just a few doors up from Arenales) that absolutely rocks when it comes to getting good coffee.

The name of the place is Establecimiento General de Cafe, and it's one of four located around the city (you can find the other locations at the web site: http://www.estcafe.com.ar/)

They have coffee from 17 different countries, and 22 different "tipos". They'll roast whatever you want to your specification, letting you taste the beans along the way if you choose. And then, of course, grind it to your specs, too.

I've been chatting up a plain-looking little barista named Mariana, and she'll pretty much make me anything I want if I decide to take it there. For instance, a cortado using dark French Roast is one of my standards.

No shit, there's no excuse for complaining about the coffee down here once you've checked this place out.

Enjoy.

SL

What makes you think mate cocido is caffeine-free? All forms of yerba contain mateine, a chemical substance from the family of the xanteins, and its chemical structure is similar to that of caffeine.

There's some research out there that points to the use of mate as to why these Argies pound sugar and saturated fats yet have a lower obesity rate than gringos.

I found that when I first tried mate I got all nervous-jervous like five cups of strong coffee but now that I drink it a couple of times a week I don't notice it so much. Still, I limit my intake. Also it will give you the shits if you aren't used to it.

Overall I prefer it to coffee but I don't much like the Argie practice of sharing the straw. They don't do that in Uruguay, IME. I only like to share straws with chicas whose pussy I am going to eat and whose tongue I am going to gnaw on, not with whatever boludo happens to be around.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DownBA2
    My favorite packaged coffee down there is Cafe Cabrales in the purple bag with the logo with the graphic of Don Juan, El Exigente of fine coffee on the label. Great stuff!

I really love mate cocido which you can find in tea bags in the supermarkets, with a little skim milk and a small teaspoon of sugar. I find that the mate cocido in "saquitos" doesn't leave you with the same bloated, full feeling cafe does and even though it's caffeine-free it seems to have some other ingredient that gets you going in the morning.
    Oooh man, I tried that purple bag stuff soon after moving here. Ouch. More power to you!

Cafe Cabrales

My favorite packaged coffee down there is Cafe Cabrales in the purple bag with the logo with the graphic of Don Juan, El Exigente of fine coffee on the label. Great stuff!

I really love mate cocido which you can find in tea bags in the supermarkets, with a little skim milk and a small teaspoon of sugar. I find that the mate cocido in "saquitos" doesn't leave you with the same bloated, full feeling cafe does and even though it's caffeine-free it seems to have some other ingredient that gets you going in the morning.

I apologize if I mis-read your tone of "voice."

Best

Dickhead,

I was not meaning to break balls or anything. When someone asks whats my favorite song, I might tactfully say that I can name 10 or 30 that I love but can't pick a single one. When I say this, I am not trying to initiate any type of conflict.

Based on your posts, you are one of the most anal-retentive, nitpicky, irritable, hypercritical, stingy people that I have ever known of, and apparently getting worse every day. The only reason I mention this is because its seems quite odd for such a person to accuse someone else of being critical, as you just did me.

"Likewise I can't imagine buying it off the shelf in bags" ...

"Dark French if I buy 1/2 kilo. About 24 pesos for 1/2 kilo": this could be one possible answer to your above question as that is more than 3 times the cost of buying it off the shelf in bags.

Of course as always, value = quality divided by price, but sometimes we underpaid public servants in the helping professions have to acknowledge price constraints. Bummer for us, huh?

Unhappy

Since there is not a hair which Moore will not attempt to split, an alternative construct to my question could be:

Which country's coffee do you personally prefer?

Sheesh. Why don't you go try to split a **** hair?

Cool

The great thing about coffee like wine and other consumables that come from different countries and microclimates is that you can have it to your taste. One man's floor is another's ceiling if you will.

Likewise I can't imagine buying it off the shelf in bags when you can go to shops that have fresh roasted coffee beans, found all over Barrio Norte and Recoleta at least.

My own preference it turns out after trying most of the options available here is something richer than Argentina likes to roast, dark french roast. Even the Italian espresso roasts here don't get close enough. So after some frank conversations at de Cafe at Puyreddon near Santa Fe they agreed to roast it to Dark French if I buy 1/2 kilo. About 24 pesos for 1/2 kilo roasted the way I like it and using relatively inexpensive beans, Brazilian Moka. It's deluxe. At a pot of coffee every morning except Sunday, the morning adjustment to the night before, it's about 1/2 kilo every two weeks or so. Sometimes friends join and we split a kilo or two. Having a 1/4 kilo is better because it stays fresh before used up.

Why can't you buy Dark French Roast like everything else? The self fulfilling rationale I love "Argentinos don't like it". Well how do they know they don't like it if they can't buy it? Right up there with spicy foods and trying to buy cheddar cheese. Ever try to buy good cheddar cheese? Generally you can't buy less than a whole wheel, because in Argentina the only way they use cheddar is to cut the top off, dig a hole in it and fill it with some god awful dip.

Back to the coffee and sex, nice way to say good bye to your chica in the morning over a cup of coffee.

I rate very few things as "best", but I will say that the coffee in Brasil is pretty good.

I like the Colombian as well, but the Jamaican is not far behind. Don't know that I have had the pleasure of Costa Rican.

Retired Member

I drink MJB 100% Colombian, if this has ahything to with Mongering.

Exon

Best coffee

As the last two posts may have provided TMI for some of our more delicate readers, I am going to move the thread in a different direction (hopefully!):

What country has the best coffee? (It looks like members can no longer start polls, and anyway I don't think five options would suffice).

My vote is Costa Rica, followed by Jamaica and then very closely by Colombia.

As a side note, I sure wish Jackson's marvelous software would stop fucking with my perfectly correct use of the parenthesis.

Drink a full Argentine coffee and then take a dip of Skoal if you want to drop a nuclear bomb. Never fails.

Posting Limitations