Thread: Colonia

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Bob  [View Original Post]
    We were talking about the possibiltiy that doing endless 90 day stays.

Might be coming to an end.

Well, I came back today from Uruguay, the agent flipped through the

15 pages of Argentine entry and exit stamps accumulated over the past

5 years, said nothing, stamped the passport, 90 days, have a good trip.

Past performance is no indication of future results, but for now everything is as it was.
    Good to hear. I believe my recent experience at immigration in Retiro is a Retiro issue alone. Thanks for posting RB.

Visa Run Update October 2010

We were talking about the possibiltiy that doing endless 90 day stays.

Might be coming to an end.

Well, I came back today from Uruguay, the agent flipped through the

15 pages of Argentine entry and exit stamps accumulated over the past

5 years, said nothing, stamped the passport, 90 days, have a good trip.

Past performance is no indication of future results, but for now everything is as it was.

Restaurants in Colonia

I was talking to a tourist who went over to Colonia the other day and she told me about going to a restaurant and paying a large bill for a not so great meal.

She didn't tell me which one, but there are a lot of places there that fit the description, especially the ones around the square by the lighthouse.

For those who want a good meal at a decent price, there a many restaurants in town popular with the locals.

Not so cheap, but my favorite place is El Asador, Calle Ituzaingo 168. They have a lomo in a red pepper sauce that is really excellent, wash it down with a bottle of tannat and you're set. With a salad, 450 pesos Uruguay (70 Argentine) but that's the most expensive item on the menu.

Colonia

In colonia, you can rent a moped or golf cart. I rented a moped for about $10 (forgot the actual amount - could have been 15) for the whole day and you can drive down the coast on a road that hugs the ocean. There are some beatiful beaches (soft sand and palm trees) Just something to consider if you want to kill those hours.

Easy cheaper visa run

Just an FYI but Carmello is cheaper (86 pesos round trip) and faster leave Tigre at 8 and usually back by 5 or so. Tack in the train ride and, well it sucks you have to leave Retiro around 6:30 or so. Once in Carmello the jewel of Uruguay you can eat at the purple restaurant on the square, I forget the name but they have a killer lomo sandwich) For action you can always go to the crappy bar Flexible Horn got me to, where the hookers, ugly as hell I'm sure, were all asleep.

Best bet is take a book, crash on the way over there, have a decent lunch, sit in the park by the river after lunch with a coffee and read until the boat is ready to leave. On the way back look at all the Paraguyan hookers on the boat doing the same visa run you are. It's a nessicary evil but it gets the job done.

Mongers-

Made the trip to Colonia Easter Sunday in what was the first and hopefully last time. Very poor planning on my part, as there were many Argies / Uruguayos travelling as it was the end of the Semana Santa holiday period, and I got stuck in Colonia overnight as there were no return tickets available that day (which I failed to realize until I got to Colonia) Took the slow boat $66 AR one way to Colonia, and the fast boat $50 AR one way on the trip back to Buenos Aires. My guess on why the slow boat was actually more expensive is that the holiday price came into effect for Easter. I do not recommend the slow boat, it takes forever, although it is reasonably comfortable.

As such, I had to spend about 24 hours in Colonia, and half of that time was Easter Sunday, so the place was extra tranquilo. I stayed at the Hotel Esperanza located at General Flores 237 (the main drag) www.hotelesperanza.com. The price was $130 AR / $40 USD per night, which seemed reasonable enough, the place had a nice pool and the room had a / c, a tv and fridge. The interesting kicker here is that the place is also a "spa" meaning they have a masseuse available on-call. Naturally, with nothing better to do and confident that I would not be able to find any action on Easter Sunday, I ordered a one hour massage. The massage took place in a dedicated room down in the spa / pool area. The girl was a very cute, 100 pound late 20's girl from Colonia, and she gave a very good, though not too firm massage. About 40 minutes into the massage I inquired whether a "relax" was available, and she giggled a bit and informed me that would not be a problem. I also inquired if any "servicios addicionales" were available and she made it clear that she was only a masseuse and that only her hands were fair game. At about minute 55 she oiled up her hands again and gave a very nice two handed "relax" which was deposited directly on the towel that she conveniently placed in the appropriate position. Total price including no extra charge for handjob $79 AR, paid at the front desk afterwards.

I ate at the "le drugstore" place that somebody recommended and it was decent food, nothing spectacular, I had Salmon in an almond / sesame sauce, the best part of the whole dining experience was the hot waitress lurking about. I also rented a moped the follow day for an hour ($20 AR) and cruised the 5 mile or so coasted strip down to the Sheraton Resort just to check it out.

All in all, an inconvenient waste of time and money (except for the massage / handjob, which was well worth it) There were some hot non-pro Uruguayas around, and I would possibly consider coming here during the summer sometime for a few nights just to try and fuck some of the regular girls.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Dogg is correct,

I HAD to take the slowwww boat, if you weren't aware of it, yesterday was actually good Friday and the boats were packed and my dumb ass didn't reserve the tickets until Wednesday so of course there was nothing left. But I am glad I went, I had a good time. It was a nice way to spend the evening, and the food was great.

Thanks,

Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    What did you take, a row boat? It's an hour on the hydrofoil.
    Bad took the slowwwww boat, but made a good decision to hang out at Le Drugstore. I posted some pics of that place once upon a time, but unfortunately there are a few threads about Colonia, and the pics must be on one of those threads. It's a cool place with good food and good tunes. One good thing about the slow boat, you can be bored on the boat rather than bored in Colonia. Pick your poison.

Three Hours to Colonia?

What did you take, a row boat? It's an hour on the hydrofoil.

Thumbs up Le DrugStore Restaurant ( Colonia )

Went here today as I wanted to get out of town for the day and all tickets to Montevideo were booked solid on Buquebus. I finally found a few tickets for the 3 hour trip without the tour for $78 pesos and $42 pesos more for first class. Three of us went for $360 AR. I decided not to take the tour because last time I found it boring and also the restaurant choice was pretty average.

Well I have to say the 3 hour trip is comfortable but wayyyy toooo long. But once we got there I had fun. I got a taxi that took us to the center $8 pesos. We went to this restaurant called Le Drugstore Restaurant. I have to say the food was spectacular for the type of restaurant it is. It was very unique, there was even a table for two set out inside an old Ford Model T, and there was also a tree planted in another Model T, There is a fake piano that rests on top of the restrooms and also the kitchen is out in the open, literally they are cooking right next to you on a table right next to you and a grill and stove a few feet away, no walls. The waitstaff was excellent considering the place was PACKED, there was a total of ONE table available when I got there, Their LICUADOS are some of the best I have ever tasted, their Lomo was also excellent, My guests had the fish and the chicken and I was told both were very good. The one thing I was told was not great were the mashed potatoes, but everything else seemed delicious. Three of us ate for about $110 AR, the wait for the food was somewhat long, but it was worth it. If I ever end up in Colonia again, I will make it a point to go back to this restaurant. And for anyone going to Colonia, don't miss this place, the menu is HUGE and EVERYTHING is made from scratch right before your eyes.

Bad.

PS, I got my whole Mate drinking kit while I was in Colonia, so I think I will finally take up a new hobby other than pussy

Thumbs up A good way to spend a day and a much more pleasant way to get a visa extention

I had originally planned on only being here about 3 months, but since I am in the middle of a business transaction that will not be finished until the end of the month I needed to extend my visa. I asked my business associate and he said the fun thing to do would be to take a day trip to Uruguay. I thought about it and decided that would be a good Idea. I went to the Buquebus office in Recoleta and I paid just under 300 pesos for a first class ticket in the " Rapida " boat. And I left a few days later. I took a taxi Ride to the Puerto Madero Buquebus terminal around 10 am, the check in was fast, around 15 minutes, I went through customs and and was on the boat in no time. The ride was short and pleasant. The tickets included lunch at some local restaurant, and a two hour site seeing tour. Everything was pretty nice and pleasant and a good way to spend a day. The city of Colonia itself was small and not too much to see. I would have to say that 90 dollars were well spent. Though one piece of advice, during this season it is HOTTTTTTTT, the city was rediculously hot. I think whenever I get a chance I would take a weekend trip to Uruguay, maybe Montevideo next time.

Badboy.

PS, I just heard on the radio on the taxi ride home today that there are protesters in front of the buquebus terminal in Puerto Madero so I think now would not be a great time to travel. Here is their website.

http://www.buquebus.com/cache/HomeARG.html

Did the visa run to Colonia today via a fast Buquebus boat (Albayzin) and first class this time (242p) This was a different fast boat than the one I was on last time. The last boat was a "cattle car" if you didn't go first class. A look in today showed a much better arrangement for non first classers. Colonia ain't changed, but damn sure chilly and windy today. I ate at El Porto, a decent parrillida (sp?) on the right side of the main drag as you head towards the river. Appeared to be a family run place. I had the chivito dinner and probably gave the cholesterol a major boost. I love that fat ass egg staring back at me. All in all, nothing has changed. The lesson from today, find out which fast boat you are on, if it is the Albayzin, non first class is not a bad thing.

Though you're apparently not interested in Iguazu, keep in mind that they sometimes don't stamp passports crossing to/fro Brazil there.

If you havent been, I recommend a trip to Santiago for one of your visa runs. Only a 90 minute flight and cheap. Its not BA, but worth checking out once IMHO. Sort of a Denver-ish place set by the Andes with some good whoares. Much of it seems like a suburban US city to me. Organized, quiet, somewhat sterile, and not so exciting but I like it that way sometimes. Not rural yet relaxing. A great place to stock up on US clothes at US prices in the huge US-style malls there. Many US chains, there is a Tony Romas and there might even be a Dennys!

PS Dont believe anything that an Argentine tells you about Santiago. The first thing that most Argentines will tell you is how poor the air/water quality is there, as though its indoctrinated since 1st grade here. Apparently, they are raised to hate everything about Chile, can tell you about every border dispute, how they helped UK during the Falklands, ad naus. They refuse to acknowledge the success and efficiency of their neighbor. With all due respect to our good friend Andres, his Chile views expressed on this forum are carbon copies of what Ive heard from all Argentines, most of whom have never been there. Even the best of us dont realize weve been brainwashed sometimes. I happened to be recently discussing Chile with an Argentine friend and it was like listening to a state-sponsored recording that Ive heard 100 times. Whats truly amazing is that these people can travel to Santiago and yet still believe the propoganda instead of what they see with their own eyes. Fascinating and unexplainable phenomena, for which Argentines are famous.

I have to confess most nature things (not all, just most) is lost on me. I've been to a few similar ancient type sites like machu piccu, and as bad as it seems to admit it, all I could think about while I was there with my at-that-time girlfriend who was really into ancient sites like that was getting back somewhere modern.

On some other visa renewal trip I'm definitely going to hop to a few places I wanted to go anyways - Brazil most likely once I stop procrastinating and get a brazil visa here at the consulate in BA, but on this last one, and I'm sure on more future visa renewals, cost really isn't the issue but the time. Made worse by my procrastination as by the time I got around to doing this last Colonia trip, I was down to two days before my 90-day stay expired and hadn't planned any trip out of Argentina. If there's an even faster way I'll do it, but it sounds like either Colonia of Carmelo is the quickest/most convenient way.

Even if you're Bill Gates thats not exactly a convenient renewal route every 90 days.

Posting Limitations