This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    Sounds like America, circa 2016.
    You've been hurt, haven't you?

Sounds like America, circa 2016.

Are Pensions Property?

Then this is the correct forum. Read this post from today's BA Herald. Poor Bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Buenos Aires Herald
    PENSION PROMISES BROKEN.

I am a former beneficiary of one of the AFJPs (private pension funds) that the government closed with the flourish of a pen and the acquiescence of Congress a little over a month ago, pocketing my retirement savings and those of millions of other Argentines with the promise that we will "earn more under the state system."

Earlier this month, the government announced that pensioners would receive a one-off 200-peso special bonus "before Christmas," which was paid December 18. And then it was announced on radio and TV that December salaries and aguinaldos (year-end bonuses) would be paid by December 23. When on that day I went to the bank in Barracas where I had always collected my aguinaldo year-end bonus and December benefit before Christmas under the private system, I was told that there was no money for me. I was told to go to the ANSeS office at Paseo Colón and Calle México for information on the matter. There, after spending more than hour in a queue, I was told to return on January 5 to find out when I will be paid my December aguinaldo and salary.

So it was that I had to spend Christmas having to pinch every centavo, and will have to do the same for New Year. (I earn a minimum pension because when I was a state railway worker, the government paid most of my salary off the books and the pension was calculated on what was left. The basic salary)

This is shoddy treatment for citizens who worked all their lives, made their pension contributions and deserve more consideration. It is an example of the classic "come back tomorrow" meted out by public "servants" to taxpayers in most government offices. And the prospect of having to endure it for the rest of one's life is doubtless one of the reasons that nine million Argentines who are still working chose to remain within the private system when they were given the chance to opt between public and private management of their pensions last year. Is such treatment perhaps a "vengeance" for having preferred a private pension fund?

Jorge Bernabé Bordón

Retired Member

DrakeCapital.

Your comment below regarding Saint's real estate wisdom is priceless.

Exon

Quote Originally Posted by Saint
    I don't post anymore to the ISG boards but a few of my friends that read this section told me about this thread so I thought I'd share my comments.

I really got a good laugh from Jackson's post! Ha, ha. Funny guy. No not billions but tens of millions of dollars. Yes. I'm not sure how much my buying has raised property values but let's just say it's a fact that I was one of the largest buyers of residential real estate the past two years and I don't see any slowdown in sight now that I'm working for hedge funds and investment funds buying tens of millions of dollars of property.

For those of you paranoid, just don't purchase here. It's that simple. From my experience, the people doing the most complaining probably couldn't buy a nice property here anyway as it's all cash.

I'm not posting to sell anything. I'm only posting facts. El Aleman makes excellent points. There is risk in ANY investment. For those of you that think there is no risk in the USA, you are sadly mistaken. ALL investments have a risk. The way I look at it, I would rather own an apartment in Recoleta instead of 300 shares of Google.

The La Nacion had an article on May 13, 2006 that told of how properties in good areas of the city have gone up 30% in value in the past year. I doubt that those that purchased are too worried about the same things you are worried about. The properties I purchased have increased tremendously in value and have provided an unbelievable amount of cash flow via rentals. I've received unsolicited offers on several of the properties I own. Some for as much as 70% more than I paid for it just less than 2 years ago. I'm not buying to flip and make a quick profit (although I have sold one that I got a great offer on and was too good to pass up and I will still manage it and make profits with no risk)

The point is this. If you can't stomache the risk then don't buy here. Life is full of risks. Investing in South America is not for everyone.

One thing is for certain and undeniable. I've been 100% spot on target on Argentina on 1) real estate; 2) tourism and 3) the exchange rate the past several years. Go back and read the posts and I think you will see that is the truth.

Good luck all.

P. S. Oh yeah. There are a lot of folks a lot smarter than random guys on WSG that post that are investing in Argentina. These include some of the biggest financial brains and most successful people and companies in the world. That in itself doesn't mean anything but I only post it to remind you all that it's not just random mom and pop types buying here. Remember, purchases here for foreigners here are ALL 100% cash so these aren't pikers.
    How'd that work out for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by El Aleman
    I think you know which one I mean. Should my historical knowledge leave room for improvement I kindly ask to excuse the fact and blame it to the circumstance that I got my education in a different part of the world as you.

El Alemán
    No problem, most Americans don't realise we put Castro into power!

Superpower

I think you know which one I mean. Should my historical knowledge leave room for improvement I kindly ask to excuse the fact and blame it to the circumstance that I got my education in a different part of the world as you.

El Alemán

Quote Originally Posted by El Aleman

The superpower without which Castro could never have got into power ceased to exist.

El Alemán
    I seem to remember the good old USA putting Castro into power (along with the two dictators before him!) Did the US cease to exist?

Textbook Case

BsAs has the most psychologists per capita in the world. I'd include that fact in my sales pitch to foreign clients if I were a local real estate tycoon. Personally vouching for their expertise would be even more convincing during a 10 million dollar negotiation (hedge fund and REIT clients excluded).

Diagnosis:
    Pathological narcissism is a pattern of thinking and behaving in adolescence and adulthood, which involves infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of others. It manifests in the chronic pursuit of attention, in social dominance and personal ambition, bragging, insensitivity to others, lack of empathy and/or excessive dependence on others to meet his/her responsibilities in daily living and thinking. Pathological narcissism is at the core of the narcissistic personality disorder.

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a form of pathological narcissism characterized by an all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), the need for excessive admiration or adulation.

Narcissistic adults are widely thought to be the result of bitter disappointment, of radical disillusionment in the significant others in their infancy.

Please seek professional help immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    Saint is without a doubt the most intelligent, perspicacious, handsome, virile individual on the face of the earth. Just an unbelievable, tremendous, all-around individual. Hell of a shortstop too.
    I didn't know he was Venezuelean.

Thanks for the compliments Dickhead.:P.

Hey, like me or hate me. My posts on many, many message boards over the past several years have been beneficial and accurate.

Saint is without a doubt the most intelligent, perspicacious, handsome, virile individual on the face of the earth. Just an unbelievable, tremendous, all-around individual. Hell of a shortstop too.

I don't post anymore to the ISG boards but a few of my friends that read this section told me about this thread so I thought I'd share my comments.

I really got a good laugh from Jackson's post! Ha, ha. Funny guy. No not billions but tens of millions of dollars. Yes. I'm not sure how much my buying has raised property values but let's just say it's a fact that I was one of the largest buyers of residential real estate the past two years and I don't see any slowdown in sight now that I'm working for hedge funds and investment funds buying tens of millions of dollars of property.

For those of you paranoid, just don't purchase here. It's that simple. From my experience, the people doing the most complaining probably couldn't buy a nice property here anyway as it's all cash.

I'm not posting to sell anything. I'm only posting facts. El Aleman makes excellent points. There is risk in ANY investment. For those of you that think there is no risk in the USA, you are sadly mistaken. ALL investments have a risk. The way I look at it, I would rather own an apartment in Recoleta instead of 300 shares of Google.

The La Nacion had an article on May 13, 2006 that told of how properties in good areas of the city have gone up 30% in value in the past year. I doubt that those that purchased are too worried about the same things you are worried about. The properties I purchased have increased tremendously in value and have provided an unbelievable amount of cash flow via rentals. I've received unsolicited offers on several of the properties I own. Some for as much as 70% more than I paid for it just less than 2 years ago. I'm not buying to flip and make a quick profit (although I have sold one that I got a great offer on and was too good to pass up and I will still manage it and make profits with no risk)

The point is this. If you can't stomache the risk then don't buy here. Life is full of risks. Investing in South America is not for everyone.

One thing is for certain and undeniable. I've been 100% spot on target on Argentina on 1) real estate; 2) tourism and 3) the exchange rate the past several years. Go back and read the posts and I think you will see that is the truth.

Good luck all.

P.S. Oh yeah...there are a lot of folks a lot smarter than random guys on WSG that post that are investing in Argentina. These include some of the biggest financial brains and most successful people and companies in the world. That in itself doesn't mean anything but I only post it to remind you all that it's not just random mom and pop types buying here. Remember, purchases here for foreigners here are ALL 100% cash so these aren't pikers.....

Also I outrightly fabricated all that shit I wrote two nights ago and I've just been waiting for someone to call me on it. Sounded pretty good though, huh?

Never.

Folks, get down to a bit of realism.

Everything can happen, and property confiscations happened in many places of the world. They happened in the early 50's in the eastern part of my country, like in many countries that turned communist in the aftermath of WW2. It happened in Cuba. And in many countries, it has been reversed, and most property given back to their owners, for example in East Germany.

And it can happen in Argentina, Spain, Germany, and the U. S. Of A.

The question is, how likely is it. At this time, I don't see the threat of a hardcore communist revolution anywhere on the world. This idea seems to have found it's place in the "errors of history" dumpster. The superpower without which Castro could never have got into power ceased to exist. And anything short of a real revolution will not change the structures of a society so much that Jackson's remark does not hold anymore.

With every investment, you have to assess your risks and benefits. When buying stock in any company, you basically bet your money on the expectation that the company's management does not fuck up big time within the next half year (and that happened more often than property confiscations) and that there still is a market for the co's products in a few years. I, and that is my personal opinion, consider the risk of property getting confiscated in Argentina low enough to be neglected.

Just my 2 unconfiscated cents,

El Alemán

Posting Limitations