Thread: Customs Broker / Gouging!

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by El Perro

Importing books

Here in Mar del Plata I've imported books on several occasions, through Amazon and other sources. Always had to open the parcel at the PO when I went to collect it, show them the contents, and walked away without paying a penny. Should be the same anywhere, but this is Argentina after all.

Importing books

Not to rehash this boring thread, but I am about to have two paperback travel books sent to me in my monthly DHL shipment from the states. I definitely want to avoid the customs fiasco of a few months ago. Has anyone had a problem with importing a few books?

By the way I was checking out the Yahoo BA chat site, and the customs jackasses continue to snare the unsuspecting. This time for kid's toys!

What was really stupid

Was for me to bother paying attention to what you have to say. I won't make that mistake again.

Big Man On Chatforum

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    Lie? My dear Moore, did you miss out on those reading comprehension classes? What I said is that if a person should happen to lose their passport, then they could go to the embassy and obtain a replacement.

Please quote me as to where I ever advised "lying to a federal agents and fraudulently obtaining a replacement passport." This I did not say. But if you can quote me as having said so, then point us to where I did.

If you can't quote those words to me, then please shut the fuck up and go back to touting penny stocks of companies in bankruptcy. Thank you.
    What I have said three times now is that your silly advice to obtain a replacement passport in order to attempt to avoid visa overstay detection is very stupid. It seemed pertinent to point this out since you are now giving other words of "wisdom" regarding customs.

Do you think that you might have to answer a few basic questions upon requesting a replacement US passport at the embassy such as "when did you arrive to Argentina" and "when are you leaving"? "You realize, sir, that your visa expired three days ago and your obtaining a replacement passport has no affect on this". DUH! "Exactly when and where did you lose your passport, sir?" More questions. *stutter*

Do you think that Argentine customs magically deletes your entry/exit records when/if you get a replacement US passport? You will at least get caught by them and then you can possibly try your "show me a sworn statement or get out of my way you dumb motherfucker" act with the authorities in a foreign country.

But hey I'm just a layman what do I know.

Felony 'expert'

Quote Originally Posted by Moore
    This coming a from guy who recommends lying to federal agents and fraudulently obtaining a replacement passport if you accidentally overstay your 90-day tourist stamp. Argentine exit customs would catch you in about 3 seconds anyway. Hopefully they'd be nice and just collect the 50 peso fine and forget about intent to deceive federal authorities part.
    Lie? My dear Moore, did you miss out on those reading comprehension classes? What I said is that if a person should happen to lose their passport, then they could go to the embassy and obtain a replacement.

Please quote me as to where I ever advised "lying to a federal agents and fraudulently obtaining a replacement passport." This I did not say. But if you can quote me as having said so, then point us to where I did.

If you can't quote those words to me, then please shut the fuck up and go back to touting penny stocks of companies in bankruptcy. Thank you.

Customs "expert"

Do you think that an Argentino, when faced with this exact situation, would have paid 250 pesos for - nothing? Get real, Dogg. You were had. However, if that's the only 80 bucks you've ever blown doing something stupid, then you're doing really well, better than the rest of us.
    This coming a from guy who recommends lying to federal agents and fraudulently obtaining a replacement passport if you accidentally overstay your 90-day tourist stamp. Argentine exit customs would catch you in about 3 seconds anyway. Hopefully they'd be nice and just collect the 50 peso fine and forget about intent to deceive federal authorities part.

I'd have probably called it lost mail, Dogg. What notice? Come to think of it, there has probably been a shirt of mine sitting at Ezeiza customs for close to a year. I had it sent regular mail (if could fit in one of those slightly thick but small, brown, padded, letter packages) since the value was very low. I've had other low value items, including over the counter drugs, shipped the same way in the past. I never had a problem until the shirt was sent - maybe it was actually lost or maybe customs decided to hold it this time. Only God and Argentine Customs will ever know. I never bothered looking for it.

Thanks for the useful information Doggboy.

Do you think that an Argentino, when faced with this exact situation, would have paid 250 pesos for - nothing? Get real, Dogg. You were had. However, if that's the only 80 bucks you've ever blown doing something stupid, then you're doing really well, better than the rest of us.
    Well, maybe you are right about that. The few locals that I told about the situation were:

1. Clueless.

2. Sympathetic, and irritated with Argie customs for their behavior.

3. Appeared embarrassed (sp) and possibly resentful, that I had brought up something so clearly critical about something argentine.

And, I have blown that much money. And more on many occasions, though usually with some return, however meager, or transitory.

Describing two errors in one post. Anal rape, indeed. But this time it was certainly asked for.
    Hunt99,

I may ask for my ass to be licked, but never raped. In addition, my posting on this subject is with the intent to inform others on the assorted minefields here in Argentina. Any commiseration is welcome of course, but not required. To this point the two critical responses have come from Marak5/ Chica D and, well, you. I can only surmise that both you and Chica D do not make mistakes, and are thus free to offer criticism. Trying to emulate the both of you will be tough. Not trying to start a flame war here, but I like to give as good as I get (when possible-better) You know the feeling, I am sure. I am guessing you think I would have been better off not going to DHL, and not paying the abandonment fee. Possibly you are right about that, but I had also been "threatened" with the possibility of a fine by customs for leaving the package there, without the formal "abandonment". Seemed like the most prudent course of action was to pony up the "extortion fee" and be done with it. I don't have the time or inclination to do battle with these assholes.

Should you wish to return salvo for the Chica D comparison, I am ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Ok, the final nail in this mess. I went down to the DHL office on Ave Belgrano to formally "abandon" the package confiscated by customs. DHL informed me that the "abandonment fee" was $80US. Not surprising news! Paid and done with. Lucky for me there was nothing in my package that was essential. Exercise caution if you have a service that delivers your mail. A lesson learned.
    Describing two errors in one post. Anal rape, indeed. But this time it was certainly asked for.

Ok, the final nail in this mess. I went down to the DHL office on Ave Belgrano to formally "abandon" the package confiscated by customs. DHL informed me that the "abandonment fee" was $80US. Not surprising news! Paid and done with. Lucky for me there was nothing in my package that was essential. Exercise caution if you have a service that delivers your mail. A lesson learned.

Red face

Well, in the throes of sinus hell, I ordered a "pepper based" spray that "stings" off the internet. Maybe like inhaling a boatload of wasabi. I will attribute that to my sinus headache and desperation! Hell, maybe it does have something illegal in it. Now, I will miss four issues of "The New Yorker", never to be read. A crying fucking shame.

Always have your Afrin nasal spray delivered directly to you by a qualified professional monger. Thanks again, Sportsman!

Lightbulb A Little Off Topic

But since this whole fiasco is over nasal spay, I thought I might offer my 2 centavos worth. If this is a decongestant, I got some jam up stuff called Flixonase (propionato de fluticasona) for 16 p. It's a prescription item I got over the counter from the ever friendly and happy to make a sale local Pharmacist.

Beats the hell out of US$200 and a lot of aggrivation!

Posting Limitations