Thread: Customs Broker / Gouging!

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This blog is moderated by El Perro
    Final report on this farce. The guy I enlisted to check out the situation informed me today that I would be spending somewhere over $200US to get the package, not counting hours of running around, filling out forms, getting things "notarized" etc. I will fill out an "abandonment form" with DHL, sever my relationship with DHL, and exercise better judgement with my shipments. The mailbox service in Miami termed this customs mess as "incredible", and indicated they had never seen a problem with a nonprescription medication before. Lesson learned: when they get you over a barrel here, get ready for an assfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    DHL is a rip-off, they tried to double charge me (a handling fee) for boxes sent from the USA.

I think you should just leave the stuff there, let them destroy it. If it ever comes up just deny asking ti to be shipped, say it was a mistake.
    Hey Thomaso,

You are right. This is not the first time I have seen their bullshit in action. I am going to let my mail forwarding service know I want to switch from DHL to Fedex. It costs a bit more, but worth it. Hey Jackson, you might want to take note of that as well. I know someone else in BA who uses USAbox and switched from DHL to Fedex. Costs about $10 more a month. You know, I would not be shocked if somewhere along the line there exists a little kickback situation with some carriers and customs. There sure seems to be a lot of people with their hands out in this situation.

DHL is a rip-off, they tried to double charge me (a handling fee) for boxes sent from the USA.

I think you should just leave the stuff there, let them destroy it. If it ever comes up just deny asking it to be shipped, say it was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    Bubba that's just the way it is there, the trade off is the life style. As the lawyers in Texas would say "pay the two bucks" You asked for advice for the future, the obvious advise is to trade chica info and a brew or two to some monger making a trip south. You know I'll carry something for you.
    Thanks for the response Daddy. Yea, I know how the wind blows, but it still stinks! I am in contact with an expat who owns a "Transfer" company down here, and moves alot of people back and forth from Argentina to South Florida. He is gonna do some interference work for me. This kind of shit always sticks in my craw. Fucking maggots. Let me know when you are headed back. BTW, here is the website for anybody interested in Transpack Argentina:

http://www.transpack.com.ar/

Saludos,

Dog

It's the trade off Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    I don't know how much money is involved given the fact that I have not contacted the "customs broker". Needless to say, she or he will want a slice as well. Sure, I am irritated with myself for not thinking this through ahead of time, but more pissed that it looks like every little cocksucker that can make a buck off the situation is hellbent to do so. A little Argentinian bureaucratic wormhole, and I am not fond of bureaucratic wormholes regardless of country. They are usually inhabited by particularly nasty little shitheads who have no other way of making a living.
    Bubba that's just the way it is there, the trade off is the life style. As the lawyers in Texas would say "pay the two bucks" You asked for advice for the future, the obvious advise is to trade chica info and a brew or two to some monger making a trip south. You know I'll carry something for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chica D
    Dogg.

Is this really a lot of money? You made a mistake. Pay what you need, don't make the same mistake again. Not too hard.

Chica D
    I don't know how much money is involved given the fact that I have not contacted the "customs broker". Needless to say, she or he will want a slice as well. Sure, I am irritated with myself for not thinking this through ahead of time, but more pissed that it looks like every little cocksucker that can make a buck off the situation is hellbent to do so. A little Argentinian bureaucratic wormhole, and I am not fond of bureaucratic wormholes regardless of country. They are usually inhabited by particularly nasty little shitheads who have no other way of making a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    DHL says just to get the paperwork released to me will cost $72USA!

Dog
    Dogg.

Is this really a lot of money? You made a mistake. Pay what you need, don't make the same mistake again. Not too hard.

Chica D

Angry Customs Broker / Gouging!

Well, live and learn. I have my USA mail, magazines, letters etc. Collected at a mailbox location in Miami, and sent to me via DHL once a month. A good service. I made the huge error recently of ordering a non prescription nasal spray via the internet which was delivered to my mailbox location, and sent via DHL to BA. Got notice today that the package was held by customs for the "medicine". What bites is that you have to jump through a bunch of semi costly hoops to get the package released, including the hiring of a "customs broker" to work the system. I questioned DHL as to what would happen if I said I no longer wanted the package. I was informed that customs might destroy it after a certain amount of time, and ALSO might fine me for not picking it up. The proverbial rock and a hard place. All of this for a $30 USA nose spray! Without knowing how much the customs broker will cost, DHL says just to get the paperwork released to me will cost $72USA! What a nasty little hole to avoid falling into. So, if anybody has any advise about customs brokers, or anything else about this goddamn farce, I am all ears. I would like to just leave the package there and say fuck it, but I am wary about this possible fine from customs, and whether it is possible this could have an impact on the receiving of my packages from here on out. What a fine fucking mess!

Dog

Posting Limitations