Thread: World Cup Line

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Norman Stormin

What a fucking goal by Rodriguez of Argentina! One of the commentators aptly said, "If Maradona's goal was from the hand of god, Rodriguez's goal was from the Divine foot." In an instant, Rodriguez has become a hero of Argentina.

Good Stuff,

Judd

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Flexible Horn
    Hunt, next time your in London during our summer (ha, ha, ha) let me know and you can spend a day at Lords or the Oval with the Barmy Army, that's a group of England fans who may have the odd drink or two.
    It appears that I owe you 10 bucks worth of beer anyway (probably buys 2 pints at London prices) based on my losing bet on the US soccer team. So its a deal. I hope the test match goes the whole five days, as it will take me at least that long to figure out the rules.

Test Matches (Cricket)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    We're light-years ahead of you British football fans when it comes to fending off the effects of dull baseball, football, or basketball games.

We have a secret weapon, in fact, not available to you at English sporting events. It's called "beer." Everything is exciting when you drink it. Imagine how you could liven up those five-hour, three-day cricket matches by replacing the the tea they drink with a succession of 32 ounce, ice cold Budweisers.
    Hunt, next time your in London during our summer (ha, ha, ha) let me know and you can spend a day at Lords or the Oval with the Barmy Army, that's a group of England fans who may have the odd drink or two.

Test matches are 7 hours, normally and 5 days in total if required.

FH

In the ongoing jousting about futbol vs. "american" sports, seems pertinent to point out that futbol matches last just short of two hours. Unless there is extra time. So, even if you hate it, the torture is relatively short, as opposed to those 3-4 hour baseball games. USA vs. Ghana in a half hour. A little early for Bud, Quilmes or the beer of your choice, but WTF.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Flexible Horn
    Obviously being a Brit we do not have your 3 major sports on our TV all the time, but are there never any dull games?
    We're light-years ahead of you British football fans when it comes to fending off the effects of dull baseball, football, or basketball games.

We have a secret weapon, in fact, not available to you at English sporting events. It's called "beer." Everything is exciting when you drink it. Imagine how you could liven up those five-hour, three-day cricket matches by replacing the the tea they drink with a succession of 32 ounce, ice cold Budweisers.

Always edge of the seat stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    Oh my God what a marvelous, thrilling, blood-stirring 0-0 tie that was. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. What a fun sport.
    Obviously being a Brit we do not have your 3 major sports on our TV all the time, but are there never any dull games?

FH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails basketball.jpg‎  

Quote Originally Posted by Moore
    Yep, it will be interesting to see the local reaction when it does. That 6-0 win better have been pretty damn gratifying to compensate getting humiliated 7-0 by England or Brazil in 2010 or, who knows, USA someday.
    You're talking baseball here, right?

royals V. Bucs

Maybe instead of a razor, a fifth of good rum and a six pack of coke. (A nice summer drink)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy
    So the game is rained out in the 9th. They would start again in the morning after the players had sobered up. They would reach a decision if it took 17 innings as it did the other day in Oakland, there would be none of this tie stuff and a celebration. The excitement over the world cup is wonderful, but the games are often quite boring.
    Agreed, though I have seen some baseball, football and basketball games through the years that were pretty boring as well. Despite the fact there was "scoring" going on. I think maybe I'll sit down with a razor blade and take in a KC Royals vs. Buccos game.

Koufax v. Gibson

So the game is rained out in the 9th. They would start again in the morning after the players had sobered up. They would reach a decision if it took 17 innings as it did the other day in Oakland, there would be none of this tie stuff and a celebration. The excitement over the world cup is wonderful, but the games are often quite boring.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    Oh my God what a marvelous, thrilling, blood-stirring 0-0 tie that was. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. What a fun sport.
    Pretend it was Koufax vs. Gibson, and it rained after 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Pinter
    The infraction of the italian, in my humble opinion, deserves not only a red card but two months in jail, at least. Then it was evident the referee tried to balance the actions, but he went to the other side.

The annuled goal is more cuestionably, because the italian porter can allege the USA player in offside was blocking his vision.

Yours,

Bruce Arena
    Thank you Mr. Pinter for your observations. I received more input from the many mongrel expats at Gibralter last night (a Scot, a Dane, and Italian, two Germans and some portenos) The consensus was the states were more unlucky than "robbed". Whatever, very unfortunate and they will be without their best player, Maestronii (sp) for the next all important match with Ghana. Possibly the CIA can intervene and send the elbowing italian to a secret gulag in Romania. Good luck with your next screenplay.

Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    We wuz robbed!

The red cards handed out to the USA after the one Italian got booted for a flagrant, very obvious red card infraction, were questionable at best. Also the offsides penalty that waved off the USA goal was mickey mouse.
    The infraction of the italian, in my humble opinion, deserves not only a red card but two months in jail, at least. Then it was evident the referee tried to balance the actions, but he went to the other side.

The annuled goal is more cuestionably, because the italian porter can allege the USA player in offside was blocking his vision.

Yours,

Bruce Arena

Angry

We wuz robbed! Consensus opinion (well, two portenos with no stake, emotional or otherwise, in the outcome) I watched the game with, thought the USA got jobbed today by the refs. If you are paranoid, you might think there was some sentiment out there somewhere for the Italians to make it through to the next round. The red cards handed out to the USA after the one Italian got booted for a flagrant, very obvious red card infraction, were questionable at best. Also the offsides penalty that waved off the USA goal was mickey mouse.

Posting Limitations