Thread: Dogg's Jazz Musings

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This blog is moderated by El Perro
  1. 06-12-11 11:30

John Pizzarelli

John Pizzarelli has a weekly radio show called Radio Delux and you can listen to old shows here:

http://www.johnpizzarelli.com/RadioDeluxePastShows.html

The show includes his music but is mostly similar music by other artists.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    Late notice for tonight-John Pizzarelli and his quartet at La Trastienda in San Telmo. If you don't know him, think Harry Connick, Jr. But with a guitar rather than a piano. Consummate pro. Always puts on an excellent show. I've seen him twice-NYC and Montreal-always great.

Tomorrow-The legend, Wayne Shorter, at Teatro Gran Rex. Arguably the best jazz saxman in the past 50 years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AllIWantIsLove For This Post:

Thumbs up Two Specials

Late notice for tonight-John Pizzarelli and his quartet at La Trastienda in San Telmo. If you don't know him, think Harry Connick, Jr. but with a guitar rather than a piano. Consummate pro. Always puts on an excellent show. I've seen him twice-NYC and Montreal-always great.

Tomorrow-The legend, Wayne Shorter, at Teatro Gran Rex. Arguably the best jazz saxman in the past 50 years.

Retired Member

Nice to hear from you Dogg.

Exon

Mmw

Medeski, Martin and Wood in BsAs Friday May 14.

They are in Montevideo the 16th. Heppa.

I went to see Juan Vattone and had agreat time, really nice place, thx Sidney!

Besides, locro is one of my favourite dishes.

La Peña del Colorado

This is a great find Sidney, thanks for bringing it to our attention. The web site is at http://www.delcolorado.com.ar/

You'll find the entertainment schedule under the Espectáculos tab. And a great feature of the schedule is that for most performers there is an audio clip - so you can get some idea of whether the entertainment will appeal to you.

If anyone knows of similar places, or maybe a web site listing similar places, I hope you will contribute that knowledge to the board. Some of us don't have the constitution to be screwing and drinking 24/7.

Do we have a thread for such venues?

AllIWantIsLove (and occasionally some entertainment which doesn't give me a headache)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    Guemes 3657. Last night a terrific Cuban / Carribbean 12 piece orchestra. Tonight is the best entertainer I have seen in AR, Juan Vattaone. I will be there! Entry 20 pesos. Litro Quilmes 13 pesos. Starts at 930pm to 1am. Bus #39+#152 to the entrance (MT Alvear to Charcas to Guemes)

Unfoturnantly, I did not have Doggboy's experience! The food was pre-prepared, like a ''blue plate special'' at 35 pesos (rated a 2 of 10) 2 Quilmes for 20 pesos, cuberto 5 pesos, and the unspecified band cover of 40 pesos (outrageous for a lousy band) Service was terrible! The band started 1 hour late. I wanted to leave immediately! I ask for the owner about all of the above. He refused any discount and basically told me to ''get fucked''! A normal AR response! It was an over 35 age group crowd. The AR women do not ''age'' well! AVOID!
    Thanks for the update El Sid. I have not been back to this place in quite a while. I have noticed that they are recycling their acts over and over again. Not a good sign, and it sounds like that ain't the only problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Too bad Peter Green ain't there with him
    Back in the day, I went to see Rod Stewart perform once at Goddard College in Vermont. Rod had a bad voice that night and couldn't make it through the act. By some miracle, Peter Green was in the audience -- with his guitar! -- and came on stage and jammed with the band deep into the morning. It was great. (Those were the days...)

Quote Originally Posted by StrayLight
    Interesting. I just ripped "Turning Point" the other day. Great album. I wonder if he still has it in him.
    Hello Stray! I don't know. I do know he has always been a tireless worker. No smoke and no drink. A health nut. So, he should still have the energy and he's a blues maniac, so possibly still has the passion. I will definitely be at the Scofield date. Might wait until the last minute on Mayall. Too bad Peter Green ain't there with him By the by-I'm reading Clapton's autobiography-a good read and very revealing about the crazy life and times.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers-May 21.
    Interesting. I just ripped "Turning Point" the other day. Great album. I wonder if he still has it in him.

Update

Two dates at Teatro Rex to be aware of:

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers-May 21

John Scofield-May 28.

What time do they start playing? Is there a cover or minimum?
    Hey Sid,

Last night the admission was 25p, but it appears to vary depending on who is playing. I believe there was a 5p cubierto for a table. The food is reasonably priced and the lomo pimiento was enjoyed by all three of us. Nice place to take a date. Last night's show started at 10, but again that might not always be the case. The website lists upcoming shows and I noticed that some acts who play Notorious on a regular basis are scheduled. Like Walter Malosetti. Check it out.

Club Lounge

Here is a new and welcome addition to see jazz in BA. Apparently this place has been around for some time, but switched to a jazz / supper club format in the past five months or so. I took in a show last night with a fellow monger and his date featuring some folks of Buena Vista Social Club fame. Very entertaining. This a very nice place, semi swanky decor and with decent food. I would say an alternative to Notorious for quality of the acts and general experience. In the Microcenter at Reconquista 974. Just up the street from Kilkenny's.

http://www.club-bsas.com.ar/

Domus Artis

Does anyone have any experience with this venue? At Triunvirato 4311.

http://www.domusartis.com.ar/index.php?mod=bandas&pag=1

Quote Originally Posted by StrayLight
    You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? LOL! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to watch it.

Hey, Yvonne Craig's pretty hot, eh? From hillbilly cousin to Batgirl. How did I miss fantasizing about her when I was a kid?
    So that's who that was. I thought I recognized her. The highlight of the movie was Ma singing about missing Papa, with harmony by the bloodhound. Heart wrenching. Surprisingly, I had never seen the movie before.

Posting Limitations