Thread: Flight Safety

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Thomaso276

Like it's better in Pomey Land

Quote Originally Posted by Flexible Horn
    I have only flown into EZE airport 4 times and likewise out 4 times, I can remember the trouble they had with the radar earlier this year or was it last year?

I think these 2 film clips maybe of interest to anybody using EZE in the future, good luck!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VvrbMjDvcX8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxGD1fCdMo
    Look at this one,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MeI154gaWL4

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    Scares The Fuck out of me, we made a Radar approach yesterday morning in the fogg.

Exon
    Allow me to explain something here.

All the approaches to all major airports around the world are radar controlled for safety and convenience.

In this way the pilot is guided close to the extension of the runway and he can then lock on the ILS (Instrument Landing System) which will guide him glide the airplane on the glide slope in order to properly land it.

In most cases and especially in fog (up to a certain low altitude unless it is going to be an auto land) this is done by the auto pilot (s)

Believe you me they can do a much better job than most pilots.

So nothing to worry about.

Retired Member

Scares The Fuck out of me, we made a radar approach yesterday morning in the fogg.

Exon

EZE airport safety.

I have only flown into EZE airport 4 times and likewise out 4 times, I can remember the trouble they had with the radar earlier this year or was it last year?

I think these 2 film clips maybe of interest to anybody using EZE in the future, good luck!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VvrbMjDvcX8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxGD1fCdMo

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Greetings everyone,

I moved the "I hate Bush" / "911 was a Big Lie" conspiracy posts to a new thread titled American Politics IV.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=3156

Thanks,

Jackson

Phixer

Thank you very much indeed.

FH & Timba8 you too guys.

El Greco

El Greco.

My apologies, I was slightly misleading in that you can buy alchohol, etc, duty free airside and carry it on unless you are flying to the USA when you cannot take any liquids on board. Almost everywhere else is okay except the States. Some other countries may introduce their own restrictions. EZE, I believe, is okay if you are flying from the UK. If flying from USA then no liquids, gels, etc.

Here's the latest from ba.com:

"British Airways is implementing the UK Government's new restrictions on cabin baggage on all flights departing UK airports. Customers are advised to check this information regularly before they travel to ensure they have the very latest information. These restrictions were last updated on 21 August 2006 at 13:00 (BST)

Customers departing from the UK (including customers transferring through the UK):

Customers travelling from the UK will be able to take on board as hand baggage one cabin bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm, the size of a small laptop bag, inclusive of wheels and handles.

Cabin baggage MUST NOT contain:

Any cosmetics.

Any toiletries.

Any liquids.

Any drinks.

Cigarette lighters.

Items previously prohibted in cabin baggage, such as sharp objects, should not be carried in cabin baggage.

Cabin baggage CAN contain the following:

Electronic equipment, including laptops, mobile phones, digital cameras and portable music and DVD players.

Essential prescribed medicines in liquid form provided they are under 50ml. Customers will be asked to taste the liquid. If they cannot taste the liquid for any reason they will be asked to go to an airport pharmacy to have the medicine verified.

Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the parent)

Other items normally carried in cabin baggage, such as books and essential items for the flight, as long as they fit into a bag no bigger than specified above.

Nothing must be carried in pockets.

All electronic equipment will need to be removed from the item of hand baggage and screened separately. We recommend these items be packed carefully for easy removal at the security search point.

Pushchairs and walking aids will be permitted but must be x-ray screened.

Customers may purchase any item in any store in the departure lounge before departing their final UK airport and take onto the aircraft as normal, unless they are travelling to the USA.

Extra restrictions are in place for customers travelling to the USA from the UK. Customers WILL NOT be permitted to take any liquid or gel items purchased in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin. All food or beverage items must be consumed before boarding."

You can also check here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm and here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp

I must admit, when you read it as a traveller it is not crystal clear. That maybe explains why we are still manning up the terminals with volunteer staff (staff not usually front line customer facing) to help the check in staff, manage queues, explain the new rules and generally reassure customers.

My boss just returned to the US from LHR. He said that they had setup tents for people waiting to board as they did not want a lot of people in the main terminal. Computers are okay, but there is a new standard for carryon size for flights to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco

I also heard that they are now allowing laptops as curry on. Do you know anything about it?

You see I am flying early October out of LHR to EZE.

Thanks,

El Greco
    You can now take a laptop on as carry on at LHR.

FH

Phixer

Quote Originally Posted by Phixer
    Coming out of the UK you can buy anything that is being sold by shops airside, the other side of security. Duty free shops not being affected. Perhaps they are doing more business because you can't take stuff through security?
    Don't quite understand you. I have reports from passengers out of London Heathrow that they had to leave behind all the duty free items they had just bought. Is that correct or not?

I also heard that they are now allowing laptops as carry on. Do you know anything about it?

You see I am flying early October out of LHR to EZE.

Thanks,

El Greco

Coming out of the UK you can buy anything that is being sold by shops airside, the other side of security. Duty free shops not being affected. Perhaps they are doing more business because you can't take stuff through security?

I work for BA and we are now carrying 3 times as much bottled water as before last week to accomodate passengers who normally bring their own on board.

As for profiling and screening selectively, how do you account for the western converts to Islam who can be even more radical than any Arab, Persian, etc. And has a wish to sit with Allah in paradise?

Tequila, Lighters, and Agua

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Dave
    I sure as hell wouldn't like to own a duty free shop just now. I expect a lot of them will be going under.

Dave
    Yes, wouldn't that mean that passengers won't be able to purchase bottles of alcohol from the airport gift shops (like Tequilia if you were leaving Mexico) and then take it on the plane, or in their checked baggage.

They would not let me bring a lighter with me last time I left EZE, even if it were in my checked baggage. They also took some wire clippers I mistakenly left in my carry on bag. Once you get that far, you just have to throw them away. I. E. Let them take them.

My biggest fear is not being able to take water on the airplane with me. I need to call American Airlines about that. On an 11 hour flight I will consume 2 or 3 fairly big bottles of water (750 ml) I have heard flight attendants tell me that there is water in the bathroom. To which I say, "let's see you drink it". That water is bacteria laden and I refuse to drink it. And the water bottles they have on the plane are tiny, like 6 ounces. I would need about 15 of them. I could see myself on TV, surrounded by airport security guards, questioning me about such strange behavior. That is why I will call first about what water they have for sale on the plane, since I can no longer take my own.

Duty free

I sure as hell wouldn't like to own a duty free shop just now. I expect a lot of them will be going under.

Dave

If that is the definition of profiling, then I can tell you that this particular paper is at least five years behind the times. This IMHO is not profiling, but just using good intelligence and law enforcement tools. That is why before a flight can land in the U. S. From overseas the DHS must approve the passenger manifest. This program has been in effect since 2001. My problem is when we have no other reason to "search" someone than they are wearing a turban or appear of a particular ethnicity. If the reason to search is because terrorist are of a particular heritage, then we need to start searching 20 ish white males, since the overwhelming numbers of terrorist incidents in the U. S. Are perfomed by this group. Ie, OKC and Atlanta were both done by born and bred "white boys".

The other thing that concerns me is that we have been down this road before about 65 years ago and now "those people" are some of our best allies.

I am not naive enough to believe that the problem is really that simple, but I am not interested in some kind of knee jerk reaction just to make it appear we are doing something. Of course I could be wrong. Again

Here is today's editorial from the NY Post. Understandably not a high-end paper, but published nonthelesss: Talking about British demands for profiling.

"It's something U. S. Officials need to seriously consider, too.

The civil-liberties crowd would fall into a swoon, of course.

But anti-terrorist profiling doesn't mean targeting all Muslims. Nor does it mean randomly pulling them out of waiting lines at the airports and giving them all a full-body strip search.

It means selecting people for close scrutiny based on a number of factors: suspicious behavior, unusual travel patterns and a cash purchase of tickets.

And, yes, it also means paying closer attention to young Middle Eastern Muslim males displaying some or all of those characteristics rather than, say, to a blue-haired grandmother from Ohio.

That's not racism - it's recognizing that the terrorist threat facing America comes from a specific region of the world and from a specific group of people.

Critics charge that ethnic profiling, for want of a better term, merely sel- ects people who fit the stereotype of a terrorist.

But as Heather Mac Donald of The Manhattan Institute has written, "A stereotype in this case is nothing more than a compilation of facts about who has attacked American interests in the past and who, given what we know, is most likely to do so in the future."

Indeed, she writes, Islamic anti-American terrorism "is, by its very definition, perpetrated by radical Muslims." Who else should law-enforcement officials, anxious to avert another 9/11, focus on?

That's why Brooklyn Federal Judge John Gleeson recently found that the government had the right to "single out nationals of a particular country and focus enforcement on them" when it rounded up a group of Muslims who were in the country illegally.

"After the 9/11 attacks," he noted, "our government used all available law-enforcement tools to ferret out the persons responsible for those atrocities and to prevent further acts of terrorism. We should expect nothing less."

Precisely.

Profiling, used correctly, is critical to enabling law enforcement to prevent another 9/11. That doesn't mean race, ethnicity or country of origin alone should be the basis for targeted enforcement. But it means that they must be taken into account, combined with other factors.

It would be irresponsible not to do so."

Profiling does not come into play when a reasonable person would believe that the suspect had committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. Of course those that are stopped or charged always claim they were profiled because of race - not their suspicious actions.

Posting Limitations