Thread: Craigs List Apartments For Rent

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Exon123
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    Headline today in Clarin says rates for rentals are up and some real estate agents may be asking for 6 months commission on two year leases. Article states this is an issue for consumer protection agency.

Prices quoted in pesos by neighborhood, relates to market for locals. Here is headline link - http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/07/08/tapapapel.htm

You can search further for the whole story.

I am thinking the long term market is just gonna gouge those already in their apartments and continue with the marketing concept of "it did not rent today so I have to raise the price to cover my loss."
    Maybe my crystal ball is cloudy here, but I can't help but get the sense that the rats are stocking up as best they can before the ship runs aground. Inflate short term rentals, lock in long term rentals now as high as possible so you can still count on that healthy check monthly even when things start to come apart. On the other hand, it is also starting to remind me of the prevailing opinion in the states before the real estate market tanked. That is-value will continue to go up-you can't lose money in real estate. Too many bulls, not enough bears-spells trouble. One man's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    Prices quoted in pesos by neighborhood, relates to market for locals. Here is headline link - http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/07/08/tapapapel.htm
    One may think the rentors are very angry for this, but the picture is related to another-different news.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails portada.jpg‎  

Headline today in Clarin says rates for rentals are up and some real estate agents may be asking for 6 months commission on two year leases. Article states this is an issue for consumer protection agency.

You can search further for the whole story.

I am thinking the long term market is just gonna gouge those already in their apartments and continue with the marketing concept of "it did not rent today so I have to raise the price to cover my loss."

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    MCSE-you may be right about rates rising and I would not be surprised. But, it is beginning to look like saturation to me, with alot of rentals chasing fewer tourists. At least at this moment. Whether that is due to the BA winter or something else remains to be seen. The ignorance of the consumer here is an issue as well, as many expats / tourists don't negotiate. We will see how it plays out.
    Doggyboy: I think the opposite: it's only a matter of time for the rentals to rocketsky raise, tourism in Argentina is going up, as well as the 2 year long rentals. If we are passing by an adjustment between demand and supply will not take too much for the owners switch back to 2 years rental mode. There are some expections like this apartment I have for only 798 per month, http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/lodgin...chenaut_duplex
    when renting it without furniture, and without services included would cost more than usd 800 + around usd 300 (building expenses + cable TV + power and light + taxes, etc)

We are not yet losing money, but, considering the hassle that represents yes we are.

Argentina, tourism rates rose more than USA.

http://www.diariouno.net.ar/contenid...icia_0033.html
    For instance, in february 2008, 150.000 + foreigners arrived via EZE to BA
    http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/04...m-01652237.htm

It's clear not all of them rent apartments, and, more clear not all of them read the craigslist since there are not 150.000 furnished apartments offered in the board. There are many ads repeated daily, a concept that I have to recognize I have started, since the 1st page contains 100 postings. Only one agency could take over the 1st page listing 100 apartments. But, if a 2nd agency posts another 100 units (and probably, repeating some of the apartments) you'll get shocked with the big amount of property for rent.

You should also consider that not all of the apartments listed are available immediately. In addition: Some times agencies / owners are likely to grant short time rentals in advance, and that fact may affect the rental occupancy line-up, which will bring problems to the yearly occupancy rates.

If you place a bid for an apartment you like will depend more of the mentality and commercial vision of the owner rather than the vacancy, you'll see: other than the services there is no mortage to pay for 90% of the property in Buenos Aires. In general (more or less) one month of rental is enough to pay for one year of taxes and building expenses. And in general owners are careful when selecting tenants, since this may lead to unexpected problems. At least 80% of the owners I know expressely denied rentals to potential lessors from Peru, Paraguay and Bolivia. It's possible this discriminatory behavior repeats in the rest of owner's population.

Another factor that made a variation in the market it's related to the dollar devaluation. In the later months there are more middle-higher class visitors than lower-middle class from the US, and when true the visitors rates countinue going up, demand for cheaper apartments experienced a reduction compared to one year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MCSE
    Besides the Inmobiliarias (real estate brokers) you don't pay an extra comission (only the check-in fees) in the Argentine system, since only the owner is charged with a commission by the agencies. Some times they just inflate the final rates, for instance, I have some owned apartments in external agencies, so you'll find the same apartments that I advertise on my thread (argentinaprivate) on the craigslist 30% + final rate. Some times is better to pick an apartment from an agency rather the direct owner, besides that, I bet rates will rise within a few months.
    MCSE-you may be right about rates rising and I would not be surprised. But, it is beginning to look like saturation to me, with alot of rentals chasing fewer tourists. At least at this moment. Whether that is due to the BA winter or something else remains to be seen. The ignorance of the consumer here is an issue as well, as many expats / tourists don't negotiate. We will see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Craigslist should implement their New York City style of rental listings for BA, separating agency listings from the others, commissions and no commissions, and so on.
    Besides the Inmobiliarias (real estate brokers) you don't pay an extra comission (only the check-in fees) in the Argentine system, since only the owner is charged with a commission by the agencies. Some times they just inflate the final rates, for instance, I have some owned apartments in external agencies, so you'll find the same apartments that I advertise on my thread (argentinaprivate) on the craigslist 30% + final rate. Some times is better to pick an apartment from an agency rather the direct owner, besides that, I bet rates will rise within a few months.

Tons of rentals

I've been looking at Craigslist rentals over the past two days. There have always been a ton of rentals advertised with the short term tourist in mind in BA, but now, more than ever. And, it seems, with more agencies advertising also. In fact, so many agencies that you have to wade through loads of agency listings to find a rental by owner. A pain in the ass. Before long, Craigslist should implement their New York City style of rental listings for BA, separating agency listings from the others, commissions and no commissions, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by MCSE
    It's pretty easy to find why they did not answered your request.
    What are you talking about? I did a normal booking on ByT, where they say they'll email you back in a few days and never got a response.

This is why I decided to start looking on Craig's list. No booking fee, not as inflated as many of the gringo rental places. Will I get something decent? We'll see. I've had offers on Craig's list to show me the unit when I'm in town for a few days next month, seems reasonable enough to me.

Craigs list is a good option.

Most of the bigger agencies routinely advertise on it as do the smaller newer agencies. Plus there are alot of direct from owner rentals, which is something the larger agencies (the ones that manage 100-200 + apartments) hate, because it cuts into their business.

Always be careful when buying or renting anything online, and there are many scams all over the net, but Buenos Aires rental apartments probably isn't a big scam section.

Regards,

BM.

Most part of the web-based agencies will not show the apartments in person. Aloja is one of few who shows the apartments in person, only some times. My agency does not show the apartments in person without a deposit, that's because we spend a lot of effort writing descriptions, making photos, etc.

But when you are in town the inmobiliarias will show you apartments in person. However, they get one month comission from the teneant, and for most part of the operations they also charge a big comission to the owner. When the owner is not that happy with the money her / his investment provides, any kind of extra expenses on the apartment hurts, consequently, the general maintainance of the apartment it's, in general not as it could be. ByT has too many apartments in their list, like 500 or more, that is a lot of hassle, they have less personell than a 500 rooms hotel have, and every apartment it's phisically far away from each other. In addition, almost each apartment it's owned and ruled by a different owner, each owner has a different personality, a different concept of what "clean" means, different damages policy, etc. When they receive a request for an apartment, they anyway, must locate the owner and re-confirm the availability, many times finding the owner it's hard especially while on vacation, and many times the answer will be "let me think about it", because, perhaps they are waiting for a better deal somewhere else.

It's pretty easy to find why they did not answered your request.

Well, I had emailed ByT a few weeks back about an apartment, but never got a response back (using their website) There are scams everywhere, but will check out some apartments next month when I'm there for a few days and see if they look good or not.

Craigslist works for assesination too

http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/08012...crimen_curiosa
    I'm sure there is a way to traslate this page, it's about an American woman who published an ad on the craiglist looking for someone to kill her lover.

Craigslist it's overpopulated with scams, as long as this is a scandal and not common story, there are a lot of scams around the free classified and even more guys who believe they are doing the best deal of their lifes when in fact, they are being con. So, don't cry later and get to a sure source for your searches.

Craigslist

I found it so far a decent website and rented 3 apartments through it myself and as of the beginning of the year have my own penthouse promoted there as well.

Very Impressive and porteno styled webdesign

I tell you this:

Google "Buenos Aires Rentals" and you'll find better and more reliable options.

Porteno Style?

Has anyone rented from this company?

http://styleeapt.4t.com/catalog.html

Seems decent, but thought I'd ask others who may have more knowledge. Found it through Craig's List.

Posting Limitations