Thread: Buying a new auto

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
This blog is moderated by David Ross
    David,

Remember you have to pay a tax on the car each year, that is why they want a CDI.

To all thanks for the information. I do own an apartment in Las Cañitas that has a garage. I agree that it's much easier to take taxis. The car will be used to go outside of Buenos Aires, ie. Punta del Este, Mar del Plata, Missiones, and to pick -up dates that live in provincia. I agree that driving in Argentina, especially in Buenos Aires, is dangerous (for a population of about 36 million, about 9000 people die from car accidents every year. The USA has ten times the population and only 42,000 people die annually from car accidents, however, in the USA one can die from boredom). I've driven all my life in Italy, Buenos Aires does not scare me.

Just in case, I learned this yesterday, if some expat would like to by a car in Argentina only one's passport number and CDI number (easily gotten from the local AFIP office) are needed.

I've had a car in BA, but generally recommend against it.

Parking is not as bad as you think, after 9pm weekdays and throughout the weekend you can park for free in any open space on the street. In most areas that's not a problem.

Going to some places, like Las Canyitas, is much easier in a taxi than a car. It's always so crowded there at night. Instead of driving around for 20 minutes to find an open pay garage 5 blocks from your restaurant, you take a 7 peso taxi ride from Recoleta right to the door.

The only time I miss not having a car is for road trips like Mar Del Plata or Cordoba. Also, amateur girls like being picked up for dates in your personal car. And driving yourself around BA is a great way to learn the layout of that big city.

If you have money to burn, go ahead and get a car. But you can take taxis whenever you want and spend maybe US$100/month. You'll spend multiples of that owning/maintaining/insuring/gas for a new Peugeot 307. Many apartment buildings don't have their own parking spaces, but you will pay about US$15k extra for a space in a building that does.

Retired Member

Smile

I think owning a car in Buenos Aires would be a pain in the ass.

Where the hell do you park it, where do you go with it.

If you need a car for a trip rent it.

PM MAT he owns one and ask him.

Exon

Agree with the view that buying a car here is sheer insanity. Absolutely no reason for it if you live in GBA. Plus many Argentinos I know have had multiple cars stolen.

Asking those same questions at a couple of dealerships and receiving the same information should answer your questions. I believe that on Fridays.

La Nacion runs a supplement with all makes and models and their sticker price.

I kept a copy from August 11 for reference. Cars with factories here in Arg. or Brasil may be a little cheaper. Pure imports very expensive. As well, some makes list dollar prices (VW) while other have peso prices (Ford)

Lots of financing deals out there and lots of new cars on the road in the last few months as Argentinos revert to spend your money and the heck with tommorrow mentality.

Buying a new auto

In about a month I would like to buy a new auto in Argentina. The various car dealers I've spoken with told me that I do not need a DNI to purchase an auto. I am here like most as a tourist visitor (I use two passports, six months on one and six months on the other per year) however, I should have my temporary residency and DNI in about 2 or three months. I have a few questions:

¿Can I buy a car in Argentina without the DNI?

If I can purchase an auto without the DNI, what documents will I need to present when I do buy.

¿What type of annual taxes will I have to pay?

¿Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

¿This will be a cash purchase, how much of discount should I push for?

Thanks

Posting Limitations