This blog is moderated by Hunt99

Address, etc.

Les Anciens Combattants (French).

Santiago del Estero 1435, C1136ABE CABA, Argentina. Tel: +54 11 4305-1701. Hours: Tuesdays to Saturday 8:00 pm. http://santelmoloft.com/2009/06/19/r...s-combattants/.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanStormin  [View Original Post]
    I have been trying to get in this place for years. Today I had lunch at Plaza Asturias and decided to walk over to Constitution for some sleazy street action. Charly Bar was the destination. Sadly, the area has become too sleazy even for me. The travies are old and haggered. The heteros are all skinny crackhoes. I would not even go into Charly's. Down the street, the door to Anciens Combattants was slightly ajar. I went in the foyer and rang the bell. A servant came, opened the door, greeted me by military title, and said my table was waiting? Had my reputation preceeded me? Even though I had just eaten, my curiosity took control. I said thank you very much, I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

I was ushered through a large meeting room (circa 1918) into the dining room where one man was seated in a corner table. I seated myself in the opposit corner as he was explaining to the waitress I was not in his party. Since I was already seated, I guess it was decided I could stay. Upon later carefull interogation of the waitress, I found they are only open for lunch by special advance reservations of four or more. Since I agreed to the menu of the day, they would serve me: apperative, pate de foi grass, boef bougundie, tiramissu, bottle of water 390. Glass of wine 80, coffee 40. Very good but a definite latin influence in the burgandy sauce.

The regular menu is 100% French with about 10 appatisers around 150 and 10 mains around 300. Open Tuesday thru Saturday 8pm till closing.

They have a big event on Armistice Day and are already working on next year's centenial November 11, 2018. The British and American delegations are invited. Germans need not apply.

That's a great story. I love crashing parties like that. One time I had some confusion in Tanger on my way back to Spain and ended up on a freighter instead of a passenger ship. Somehow I ended up in the officers' mess and consumed a large meal and numerous German beers. Wasn't really sure if or how to pay and then a clipboard came around and I scrawled 'Lupe C. De Vaca' on it and that seemed to take care of it.

Winner 2017 Noob of the year

Col. Sanders, your table is waiting

Haha good story so your day was not a travesty

Quote Originally Posted by NormanStormin  [View Original Post]
    I have been trying to get in this place for years. Today I had lunch at Plaza Asturias and decided to walk over to Constitution for some sleazy street action. Charly Bar was the destination. Sadly, the area has become too sleazy even for me. The travies are old and haggered. The heteros are all skinny crackhoes. I would not even go into Charly's. Down the street, the door to Anciens Combattants was slightly ajar. I went in the foyer and rang the bell. A servant came, opened the door, greeted me by military title, and said my table was waiting? Had my reputation preceeded me? Even though I had just eaten, my curiosity took control. I said thank you very much, I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

I was ushered through a large meeting room (circa 1918) into the dining room where one man was seated in a corner table. I seated myself in the opposit corner as he was explaining to the waitress I was not in his party. Since I was already seated, I guess it was decided I could stay. Upon later carefull interogation of the waitress, I found they are only open for lunch by special advance reservations of four or more. Since I agreed to the menu of the day, they would serve me: apperative, pate de foi grass, boef bougundie, tiramissu, bottle of water 390. Glass of wine 80, coffee 40. Very good but a definite latin influence in the burgandy sauce.

The regular menu is 100% French with about 10 appatisers around 150 and 10 mains around 300. Open Tuesday thru Saturday 8pm till closing.

They have a big event on Armistice Day and are already working on next year's centenial November 11, 2018. The British and American delegations are invited. Germans need not apply.

I finally got in

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Norman Stormin For This Post:

Suprise?

Is this what a former member of the forum (Capt Dave) was talking about:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini-1252.JPG‎   mini-1253.JPG‎   mini-1258.JPG‎   mini-1254.JPG‎   mini-1255.JPG‎  

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    Anybody eaten here lately? An updated report would be nice.
    I ate here not too long ago. July, I think it was. I really enjoyed it. Much better than some of the other stuff that passes for French food in Buenos Aires, although that's not really saying much. Nonetheless, it was a pleasant evening all around, and I'll be going back sooner or later.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anybody eaten here lately? An updated report would be nice.

Heh heh heh. Well, I already had two very nice ladies with me, no need for any more friends. Yesterday evening was French. I reported on the German place yesterday afternoon and had no need for any more wursts.

Surprise inside!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    This is in an off-the-beaten-tourist-track area of town, in Constitucion. A special bonus for AP diners is that this is located right in the middle of the streetwalker zone. Across the street from the restaurant is a transitorio with several SWs gathered outside, offering you an extra special dessert if that kind of thing is to your liking. In the blocks nearby there were probably a dozen SWs that we saw from our taxi (have the restaurant call for a radio taxi, don't try to flag one down on the street, it could be somewhat dangerous for an unfamiliar tourist)
    Hunt.

The restaurant sounds good, but I think if you investigate those streetwalkers a little closer you'll find they come with a little bonus package!

David

Thumbs up Restaurant Anciens Combattants - Santiago del Estero 1435

I've got an unusual one for you. In the clubhouse of the French veterans' association, a French restaurant. Last night there were maybe 15 customers, and the feeling was small and intimate. The proprietor of the restaurant, a French-Argentine, made sure that everything was in it's place. As befits a small place, the menu is short, only five or six appetizers and five or six entrees. And depending on supply, not everything may be available every night. But they obviously spend a lot of attention. Our group had a good salad, a prawn and seafood appetitzer, a wild boar loin entree, an excellent crepe made with sauteed mushrooms, and a couple other things which slip my mind right now.

Appetizers are in the 20-25 range, entrees 35-40. Desserts, which showed a lot of flair (try the Tomato dessert, you won't be sorry) were about 20-25.

This is in an off-the-beaten-tourist-track area of town, in Constitucion. A special bonus for AP diners is that this is located right in the middle of the streetwalker zone. Across the street from the restaurant is a transitorio with several SWs gathered outside, offering you an extra special dessert if that kind of thing is to your liking. In the blocks nearby there were probably a dozen SWs that we saw from our taxi (have the restaurant call for a radio taxi, don't try to flag one down on the street, it could be somewhat dangerous for an unfamiliar tourist)

On this Saturday night they had an excellent piano player for entertainment, an old fellow working for tips. I must say he was playing some inspired music, everybody enjoyed his playing very much.

Get a table in the smoking section, in the bar, where the piano is. The non-smoking room is closed off from the music and you don't want to miss this fellow's playing.

In summer I think they have seating outside, as the clubhouse has a very nice courtyard in the back of the building. But I think it's not yet ready for them to serve out there (if indeed they do)

Anyway, dinner for three with bottled water, two bottles of Malbec, three appetizers, three entrees, and three desserts came to 347 pesos, propina not included. I think it was well worth it.

They're open only for dinner, Tuesday-Saturday, beginning at 9pm. You will definitely need to call them to make a reservation. And importantly, NO CREDIT CARDS.

Telephone number is 4305-1701.

Posting Limitations