This blog is moderated by Hunt99

Exellent little place

Some 10 days ago, I had a lamb rack, mostly the tenderloin part they cut it exactly how I wanted it (huge portion) and I had to try the beef kidney as an appetiser with wine. Very high quality of meat. Exellent service, with a bottle ofwine paid about 110p. You want quality? This place got it.

La Chacarita - Recoleta Restaurant Row, Junin at Vicente Lopez

One of the old favorites of the board was El Parillon de Recoleta, which was located right next door to New Port Pub on Junin, a couple doors down from the corner of Vicente Lopez. Some months ago the old place was closed down and the building was razed.

Lo and behold, when I walked by on this trip, expecting to see yet another empty space on the formerly bustling Recoleta Restaurant Row, I see a phoenix arisen from the ashes, called La Chacarita. They built an entirely new restaurant from scratch. It's a steakhouse, with a pretty complete menu, albeit pricey in the Recoleta Restaurant Row tradition.

At my dining companion's suggestion I tried the t-bone, listed on the menu as Costillo de Lomo. (Note to the Spanish-deprived: No English translations on the menu.) If you forget those words, just tell them "t-bone," they know what it is.

I have to say that this 38 peso hunk of beef was the best steak I had in town on this trip. Outstanding in every way, almost 2 inches thick, and the great pairing of sirloin and filet that a proper t-bone will give you. I ordered it "jugoso," and I'll be damned if they didn't get it exactly right, which is a difficult thing to do with a thick steak. It's enough for two people, or maybe 1 and a half if you're hungry, and I gave away a big piece of mine. I didn't eat much else here, though if the rest of the menu is as good as this one, you will probably not be disappointed.

An interesting note: even though El Parillon de Recoleta was closed down for like 9 months, many of the staff in the new place used to work at the old one. An interesting fact. And this is not a bad thing for regular diners, as more than one employee greeted my dining companion by name when we arrived, and were very solicitous and attentive waiting on us.

Posting Limitations