Thread: Brazilian visas

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
This blog is moderated by BigRay

The Banana Republic Of Brazil - On Steroids!

While I have no malice for the people of Brazil, their government sucks. I recently applied to the Miami Brazilian Consulate for renewal of my visitor visa. I had previously held a 5 year visitor visa - which I included a copy with my application.

Having read / heard all the crap that the Buenos Aires Consulate had been dishing out, I decided to apply while I was in Florida. Folks, the end result seems to be the same - 90 days visa issued!

For those with their hearts set on the termas and bikinis of Copacabana, this probably won't deter you. But for those sitting on the fence about a potential visit (or more importantly multiple visits) should take notice.

Apparently the Brazilians have declared war on American tourists, in a manner that lines their pockets. Total cost for a 90 visitor visa was $134 USD, as they require returned visa to be sent via Express Mail (which they simply tossed the envelope in a mailbox, resulting in 2 day delivery)

For the third world apologists, may I remind you that while US visitor visas are difficult to obtain - when they are issued it is normally for 10 years ($100 for 10 years isn't too bad) I mention this because the Brazilian website makes a big deal out of why they charge US Citizens $100 - reciprocity. They fail to compare the visa validity issue.

I will do my brief visit to Brazil to use this visa - that will be my last until the morons change their ways.

Big Thanks

Thanks for the informative post re: use of DNI.

Jackpot

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpot
    Buenos Aires to Rio?

As an American with an Argentine DNI and temporary residency status, can I enter Brasil without a visa. My understanding is residents of MERCOSUR countries are free to travel with out visas within the associate member countries.

Any experiences.

Jackpot
    Yes it is true that Mercosur citizens and residents can travel within the member countries on their DNI or cedula alone (without passport), but if a Mercosur country requires a visa for your nationality then you still need to have such visa regardless of your residence or DNI. As an American citizen you need the visa, which is in your US passport, to enter Brasil. A German citizen with Argentine residence can enter Brasil using the DNI alone since Germans don't need a visa.

DNI as a passport to enter Brasil?

Buenos Aires to Rio?

As an American with an Argentine DNI and temporary residency status, can I enter Brasil without a visa. My understanding is residents of MERCOSUR countries are free to travel with out visas within the associate member countries.

Any experiences.

Jackpot

Finally got my visa application underway today so unfortunatley come Tuesday I'm outa here. On the upside I'll be in Rio. Just a bit more info on the address as I managed to completly miss the place the second time I tried to find it that its in the Western Union Building 5th flour 1363 Carlos Pellegrini.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore
    I renewed a work visa via the Brasilian embassy in BsAs a few years ago. I got the 5 year visa when my colleagues were telling me that no one was getting 5years in the USA anymore. It was simple and quick and I didn't even have to get off my ass. I just gave my documents to a passport services agent and she returned my passport with visa 2-3 days later. Brasil accepts third parties / agents for these things, unlike the Argentine govt which makes you do almost everything yourself.

IIRC, and this is common for several countries, you have to have a purchased ticket with a departure date <2 weeks out to get the visa.

I highly recommend using a passport service whenever you can. Try the yellow pages. I don't remember which one I used by they are well worth their low fee unless you like waiting in line and researching changing visa requirements.

I renewed a work visa via the Brasilian embassy in BsAs a few years ago. I got the 5 year visa when my colleagues were telling me that no one was getting 5years in the USA anymore. It was simple and quick and I didn't even have to get off my ass. I just gave my documents to a passport services agent and she returned my passport with visa 2-3 days later. Brasil accepts third parties/agents for these things, unlike the Argentine govt which makes you do almost everything yourself.

IIRC, and this is common for several countries, you have to have a purchased ticket with a departure date <2 weeks out to get the visa.

I highly recommend using a passport service whenever you can. Try the yellow pages. I don't remember which one I used by they are well worth their low fee unless you like waiting in line and researching changing visa requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Benito
    Formerly they were issueing 5 year visas. Now, anybody's guess = 6 months, 3 months, as low as 40 days and probably not 5 years.
    I think the rule is at least in the consulates in the US, if you get your visa from the consulate that has the juridication where you reside, you'll get a 5 year visa. In my case it's the consulate in NYC. So I got a 5 year visa. I asked what if go in person to the consulate in DC since I travel there every month, I was told I would only get a 90 day visa there. Strange thing is I do not know how would they verify my residency because I did not have to bring anything that shows my home address. You have to put down the address on the visa application form, but how would they know that you're telling the truth? BTW, I think the application fee would have been the same 100 USD for both 90 day and 5 year visa.

Different experience

Ricardo,

My experience was quite different. My visa was ready in 24 hours.

My passport is American. They asked where was I going to stay, how long, and 2 pictures 2x2.

I think the service was fine.

DWC

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardog
    Don't expect any thing in a rush my four day stop over in BA to get my work visa renewed has turned into three weeks and I'm still not on the website list.
    I was planning to get my Brazilian visa during my short visit to BsAs last month. Now I'm glad that I did not count on that. I ended up getting it in person at the consulate in NYC. I showed up one day by 10:30 am and it was ready to be picked up by 2:30 pm the next day. In both days I was in and out of that place in less than 15 minutes .

Yes. Its on the right on Av 9 De julio as you go out of town after the Santa fa junction. The Brazillian Embassy is on the left an the consulate is across the road on the right. Don't expect any thing in a rush my four day stop over in BA to get my work visa renewed has turned into three weeks and I'm still not on the website list.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay
    Anybody know where the Brazilian consoluate is here?

Thx

Brazilian visas

Anybody know where the Brazilian consulate is here?

Thx

Posting Limitations