This blog is moderated by Du Mehard
    Quote Originally Posted by QuakHunter
    Mr. Aquaman,

In your experience, what happens when the actual tourism dollars and traffic hits the floor? I saw the Argentina Post broadcasting numbers of arrivals down almost 10% for December and January. Do they raise prices again? (Which seems to be standard) Or do they adjust to the decline in revenue by cutting costs?

I think I know the answer, just interested to hear your perspective.

How is the Duck Hunting bookings? We are still trying to work out a date for the summer (Winter) Take care.
    Yep, I know what you think and you are right. Cut the overheads!

Also keep in mind that the overheads, wages etc. are in pesos so with a more expensive Dollar, less of these need to be changed to pesos to pay for the costs. Therefore at the end of the year there may be less clients but profits may stay quite similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    This same hotel has reduced it's personnel to about 80% what it was in 2000 (when they closed with 15% occupancy and a room at $55)

And wages have hardly gone up in that period!

Do your maths. It's not worth talking any more about why Argentina is in the state it is in!
    Mr. Aquaman,

In your experience, what happens when the actual tourism dollars and traffic hits the floor? I saw the Argentina Post broadcasting numbers of arrivals down almost 10% for December and January. Do they raise prices again? (Which seems to be standard) Or do they adjust to the decline in revenue by cutting costs?

I think I know the answer, just interested to hear your perspective.

How is the Duck Hunting bookings? We are still trying to work out a date for the summer (Winter) Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by QuakHunter
    Are these the good old days my Granny talked about? The only thing constant is that the rooms are still pricey.
    Before 2001 any given hotel in BsAs would close the night in January or February with about 10% or 15% occupancy.

From on the occupancy grew to the highest point last year where for these months they hardly closed with less than 95% a night.

This year, a hotel with an excellent sales department is closing about 80%.

Prices have gone up from US$55 a night in 2000 to US$130 today. A bottle of local beer in 2000 was about three pesos (3 Dollars) in a hotel bar, today it is 18 pesos (5 to 6 Dollars)

When I confronted one hotel manager with the price for beer she told me it was what every other hotel was charging! (Nothing about price / costs)

This same hotel has reduced it's personnel to about 80% what it was in 2000 (when they closed with 15% occupancy and a room at $55)

And wages have hardly gone up in that period!

Do your maths. It's not worth talking any more about why Argentina is in the state it is in!

From November 2006 - How Times Have Changed

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69
    The economy is doing better. The U. S. is lending our tax money to help rebuild. More and more tourists are coming back to Argentina. It is hard to find a hotel on short notice. It is the same with apartments. I waited too long and got one that is just OK. So book way in advance. Rates are up everywhere.

I had a hard time finding a hotel at the last minute in Ushuaia. The airport in be. A. Was crowded with tourists from all over going everywhere in Argentina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Du Mehard
    Been to BA 4 times before and went online to book room. Most are all sold out and the ones left are pricey.
    Are these the good old days my Granny talked about? The only thing constant is that the rooms are still pricey.

Apartments

The economy is doing better. The U. S. Is lending our tax money to help rebuild. More and more tourists are coming back to Argentina. It is hard to find a hotel on short notice. It is the same with apartments. I waited too long and got one that is just OK. So book way in advance. Rates are up everywhere.

I had a hard time finding a hotel at the last minute in Ushuaia. The airport in B. A. was crowded with tourists from all over going everywhere in Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    As I have said many times, tourist industry is driving the economy and inflation. Agree with JC, go for an apartment.

As I have said many times, tourist industry is driving the economy and inflation. Agree with JC, go for an apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Du Mehard
    Been to BA 4 times before and went online to book room. Most are all sold out and the ones left are pricey.
    I guess they've all recovered. You can rent apartments, including Jackson's fairly easily. Give the area you want and budget, and I'm sure members will be glad to recommend places.

Hotels are $$$, what happend?

Posting Limitations