Thread: The Cost of Living in Buenos Aires

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Billy 32

B-King

Now if only we could find an efficient way of immediately disposing of the BK Grease Sponge once digested.

I like Burger King! Especially after a night of drinking, those whoppers act like a big sponge.

Big Macs

While it is true not everyone likes McDonalds, there is a point to be made here. In the US, a lot of people eat at McD's because it is fast and cheap. In a rush? Use the drive thru. Here McD's is very pricey and slow. For 5 pesos more then a combo you can hit a parilla and have a meal, not fast food. While many things are cheaper in Arg, McDonalds is not one of them!

Argentina 3.64

Hong Kong 1.71

This is one of the more stupid things I have ever seen in my whole life. One: McDonalds sucks. Two: it's a ridiculous myth that everyone eats at McDonalds. Three: the prices may be affected by taxes, (Argentina has a VAT, Value Added Tax system, and US has a sales tax) Chile's VAT is 16% and Argentina VAT is 21%. Four: In many countries (based in the information I manage) McDonalds owns the restaurant, so it's not influenced by the rental variations. Five: The price will be more than anything regulated by the other chains competitors, for instance in Argentina there is no wendy's, they left in 2002, and McDonalds stayed and financed the crisis times. They did well, since today they have less competitors, and Six: McDonalds sucks, oh, I said that already.

Administrator

Venues: 398

Thread Split

Greetings Everyone,

I moved the posts related to the correct usage of Castellano to a new thread titled "Castellano, the Spanish dialect spoken in Argentina".

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=4750

I moved the posts regarding Roxana's apartment to the existing thread titled "Roxana's apartment for Rent".

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=2744

And finally, I moved the "other" discussions to a new thread titled "Recreational Products in Argentina".

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=4752

Thanks,

Jackson

The hotel I use for my clients has gone up from US$100 to US$150 (it was only US$ 45 in 2005)

Explain? Simple!

You mentioned "Big Mac's" in talking about natural gas. A fucking Big Mac in Recoleta village cost less up here then it does in Recoleta, explain that?

Exon
    The 'Big Mac' Index seeks to compare an item commonly available throughout the world and relate the cost to a common base, usually expressed in U$ dollars. But the comparisons can be made in whatever currency you choose. McDonalds market here as an upmarket, youth oriented destination. Not the 'Family Restaurant'. I guess the franchisees see bigger bucks down that road. That's why they are only in the better suburbs. Get out into Greater Bs As and they are few and far between.

Your just about due down here, so bring some auxiliary heating or get a permanent hot water bottle with ears. Energy is going to be in short supply.

Argento

The Gas Index aka the Big Mac Index.

A great way for those who live here to evaluate the way the economy is travelling is to light your gas stove. Gas of course is subsidised. For the past few days, they have diluted the natural gas so much by mixing in common air, that the automatic ignition won't light it. It is normally diluted so that a half gallon pot of water takes almost twice as long to boil as in the States. However the venal bastards have diluted it much more these last few days, that it is truly difficult to cook.

I suppose after 18 years I ought not to be surprised. But whenever you get confident that you are getting a handle on how they are going to jump, that's the time they will come at you out of left field.

One of the reasons that restaurants seldom offer sauteed meats here is this lack of heat. The meat stews rather than sears.

So gas ain't neccessarily gas. My experience is that the price of BTU's of the gas here are much the same as in the States. It only looks cheap. Volumne versus content.

Argento

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    Somehow Jaimito, I have lived and survived in BsAs for 4 years, without your ''snide'' comments. As for chicas, I do just fine. I don't need your chica advice either. I regularly ''do'' wonderful women! I prefer my own clean sheets to dirty Privado sheets. Concerning Tessen's appropriate and helpful post about an inexpensive laundry---Thanks Tessan. The location would be a time consuming taxi round trip of about 20 pesos for me, so I'll have to pass. But the laundry should be helpful to those men living in Tessan's area.
    Excuse me, who started whining about paying 14 or 15 pesos for dry cleaning?

I was not commenting on your chicas skills in any way. Since you seemed so inept at price checking, I was simply giving an analogy on always checking prices. Since I'm sure your post of me "keeping" the secret laundry location to myself was in jest, I'll just ignore the rest of your rant.

Geez, I would have never thought of trying to find another place.
    Well I would have posted the info if I would have had it. Tessan posted it, so now you're all set! As with chicas, check pricing, and a high price doesn't always mean quality.

I'm the guy who told JC about the 6p place that cleans, dry and fold your cloth for 6p per load. It's on Santiago del Estero near Moreno. Run by a Chinese lady. It's small. I was paying 16p per load at the place across the street from me. I walk around allot, so when I see a laundry that near my apt. I ask how much, found another place for 12p, but they did not do a good job, then I tried the 6p place, and it did a good job. As good as the 16p place.

Don't think it's worth going more then a few blocks to do Laundry. But for dry cleaning it might be if you have allot of stuff. I do not have anything with me that needs dry cleaning. When you are walking around, keep your eyes open for dry cleaners, and ask how much. Then test them, bring one item in, just to see how good a job they do.

My shirts were $1 and sweaters were $2.50 or $3 in the USA. We must refuse these outrageous AR prices!
    Well do something about it instead of just whining. Find a cheaper place and post it. Or fly back to the US, and save $2.50.

My first week, I paid $16p per load of wash. I then found a place closer that was only 12p. A friend told me that he has a place near him that is 6p. So, all you've got to do is look around.

I refused! The store is on Montevideo 964.
    Well, most shirts cost $2-$3 each in the US, so $4-$5 doesn't seem out of line at all.

Wow, I was going down you list and thought all the prices were quite reasonable until I came to the Direct TV charge of 1000 pesos! A typo?

Expenses

You asked about expenses. I live in the provincia about 45 km outside the city limits.

Monthly:

Gas: bottled about 25p.

Water: free, I have my own well.

Electric: average 80p.

Insurance on the property: not available!

Phone: cell & house line 100p.

Internet: not available in my area.

Cable: not available.

Direct TV: 1000p.

Taxes: 450p - this is a lot but I have 5 hectare stable, house etc.

Expenses: food, car etc about 1000p.

Maid: once a week 30p.

All in all pretty cheap, but I live in a rural area. Downtown is one hour by car or hour and a half by train.

Posting Limitations