Thread: Electrical Converters and Plug Adaptors

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Alamtec (La casa del transformador)

This store has been recommended various times here. The purpose of this post is simply to provide ALL of the information from their business card:

Alamtec (La casa del transformador)

Paraná 220 (1017) Buenos Aires.

Tel: 4371-1023 (Rotativas) Fax: 4373-4654

Anexo I / Instrumental.

Paraná 220

Tel: 4371-1023

Anexo II / Herramientas.

Paraná 218

Tel: 4371-1074

http://www.alamtec.com.ar
    www.alamtecherramientas.com.ar

Email: info@alamtec.com.ar

The clerk I talked to spoke no English. I don't know about the others.

Bob

Let me make it simple

Quote Originally Posted by Bartonsky
    I am confused between a plug adapter and a current converter? I found this adapter that seems to do all adapters in the world but now I don't know if it will convert the right electrical output.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-A...7849751&sr=1-3
    A plug adapter allows you to plug your USA product into wall plugs from different countries. The thing in your post is an adaptor only.

A current converter changes the duel leg 220 in south america into something that resembles the 110 we have in the States.

Depending on what you take down you may or may not need it. Most laptops will accept either voltage (look on the big ass box in the middle of the power cord) as do most battery chargers for digital cams.

Look at Sportman's post below those are available all over BsAs for around 10 bucks, converters can be bought for about 20-30 bucks in almost any hardware store.

Adapter vs converter?

I am confused between a plug adapter and a current converter? I found this adapter that seems to do all adapters in the world but now I don't know if it will convert the right electrical output.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-A...7849751&sr=1-3

Sportsman, that's a neat device. I've seen the power strip with the european round prong and the argentinian angled prong sold at a few places in BA, but having the US parallel prongs sockets is a nice feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    When I was in BsAs last month, I picked up a 4 outlet power strip at a local store for A$R34.50. It plugs into a 3 prong angle socket. 6 outlet power strip was also available for A$R 38. What I like about this power strip is it takes pretty much any type of plug, US 2 prong, US grounded 3 prong, European round prong, and Argentina 2 or 3 prong angle plugs. Since it is only a power strip (adapter) and not a transformer, I only use it to charge my electronic equipment that takes dual voltage such as laptop, iPOD, cell phone, speakers, and razor.

When I was in BsAs last month, I picked up a 4 outlet power strip at a local store for A$R34.50. It plugs into a 3 prong angle socket. 6 outlet power strip was also available for A$R 38. What I like about this power strip is it takes pretty much any type of plug, US 2 prong, US grounded 3 prong, European round prong, and Argentina 2 or 3 prong angle plugs. Since it is only a power strip (adapter) and not a transformer, I only use it to charge my electronic equipment that takes dual voltage such as laptop, iPOD, cell phone, speakers, and razor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCI1231.JPG‎  

Traveling adaptors

To get around in most places in LatAm, I use an (1) angled adaptor with the round prong socket on the back (2) a round prong adaptor with a two-prong US blade-type plug on the back. If you have an item with a 3-prong plug, the third prong (I believe it is a Neutral / ground) it fits outside the adaptor (3) a six-plug extension strip, and (4) a 200 amp current converter I got off ebay for USD20. I now have 4 of them since I live here full time.

Suerte

I didn't think too much of the adapter before arriving in BA thinking it'll be easy to buy one locally.

One thing to note is that a lot of stores are closed on Sunday so you may be out of luck until Monday and that means not being able to charge your laptop, phone, etc. If you are staying at a hotel, I suppose they may have one for you to use though. You do need to get the angled one for use in Buenos Aires.

Even if you get the adapters in BA, which is easy enough to do, note that in BA most are angled but once you get out in the provinces, most are the round prong type.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond 007
    Are most outlets in Argentina of the european type (2 round prongs) or the australian type (angled type) I already have the european type adapter, but wondering if I need to get the angled socket adapter.
    The round prongs were universal here at one time but most newer places now have the angled type with many sockets adaptable to both. You may even come across the American type (two flat parallel prongs)

I wouldn't bother carting around a pile of adapters with you. You can get any kind you need here very inexpensively.

If you are staying at a hotel they usually have a selection in stock if you ask at the front desk.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond 007
    Are most outlets in Argentina of the european type (2 round prongs) or the australian type (angled type) I already have the european type adapter, but wondering if I need to get the angled socket adapter.
    They use both. Some outlets accept both 2 round prongs and angles type but angle type are more common.

iPhone

Trblmakr,

Your iPhone charger's functional voltage range is 110V-240V. You can verify this by reading the back of the charger. Meaning you don't need a converter for your iPhone in Argentina or any other country. All you need is a socket adapter (costs $2 - $4 in the US)

Happy hunting.

Gipse

I was planning on bringing my iPhone with me when I travel to BA in a couple of weeks. I bought a converter, but now I am a little scared to use it.

Anyone use a converter to charge an iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo
    I have fried a US purchased CD player and High-end radio when the 110 to 220 convertor I used apparently malfunctioned.

I assume the items are beyond repair.

Does anyone know if my fears are warranted or where I might get the components repaired?

Help and thanks!
    Ricardo,

You probably just blew a fuse (usually between the power supply and main electronics) which should be easy to replace. Open up the covers and take a look.

Erkinator

Venues: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    All the different types of plugs can end up being a pain in the ass. But I found one that's universal. I don't remember where I bought it but a good place to search would be the place that has an add for transformers at this site. (Look down on the left margin - Paraná street)
    Yeah - the Casa de Transformadores. On Parana near the corner of Peron.

Just metnioning it because I bought a cable for my laptop's transformer the other day, when Dell couldn't ship me a new one (even though they shipped me the wrong one when I was in the States.

This place has about everything electronic you can imagine, including universal-plug power strips, power converters and conversion plugs.

Posting Limitations