This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Help - Electric Components Fried!

I have fried a US purchased CD player and High-end radio when the 110 to 220 convertor I used apparently malfunctioned.

I assume the items are beyond repair.

Does anyone know if my fears are warranted or where I might get the components repaired?

Help and thanks!

All the different types of plugs can end up being a pain in the ass. But I found one that's universal. I don't remember where I bought it but a good place to search would be the place that has an add for transformers at this site. (Look down on the left margin - Paraná street)

US sockets

On a recent trip to the US I encountered a problem with regards to electronic sockets. I bought a cellphone in Argentina which came with a charger having a diagonal V shaped plug. I could not charge my phone in the US because I don't have those universal adapator kits or something.

Finally found an electric socket adaptor for the flat socket of the US. A man from a local ferreteria had some in stock. However I had to buy two sockets, the first socket to convert the Argentine to a european round plug and then the round plug to the US flat plug. It may look clumsy but it worked. The ferreteria is located in the corner of Esmeralda and M.T. Alvear beside the lotto outlet.
    Last edited by ComeOnDown; 01-09-08 at 11:42. Reason: added details

On my last trip, I forgot my transformer, so I had to buy one In Argentina. I stayed in Palermo, I saw a store that sold electronics so I walked in and WOW they had a transformer for everything. I bought a big one for like 30 pesos, and it looked old fashoned and bulky, but it was perfect. And it was not the type to Hang out of the outlet, it had a cord on it and it sat on the floor. Perfect for appliances

Cheap Adapter readily available in BsAs.

I saw a couple of vendors on the street selling the universal worldwide adapters from 3 pesos to 10 pesos depending on the number of plugs. They are also easily available throughout the city in electronics and hardware stores. So as long as your device's label reads 100V-240V~50/60 HZ, you can use these. No need to buy the $20.00 to $ 30.00 universal kits in your country to bring it here.

I know want you mean Stowe, my last one was heavy too. I usually put something underneath the transformer to support the weight. The hard shell case came in handy for that few times.

Converter

Sportsman.

I had that one also but it was so heavy that it often fell out of the wall socket. Eventually, it fell out of one that was above the bath sink and busted. I bought one that is very light but still does what I need.

Suerte.

Stowe

Sportsman

That's the one I have, I thought I got it at BestBuy but it could have been Circuit City, sorry. BTW it works fine in BsAs.

From Thiefs at Ezeiza thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    Now I have to shop for a new kit that is as good as the one I had. It was in a nice hard shell case with a transformer and five different types of adapter plugs. I haven't found one with those accessories yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Dave
    Sporty.

I found that kit at WalMart (in the US) Don't know if they still stock them, but it was a handy set!

David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punter 127
    I got mine at Bestbuy.
    I went to Walmart again last night and found a kit for about $15. It looked cheap and flimsy and appears it does not accommodate a 3 prong grounded plug so I passed. Best Buy website has two kits available, one for low wattage appliance (under 50W) and one for higher wattage up to 1600W. Don't feel like having to buy two kits so I passed also. Radio Shack website has a nice set for $30 but it's for mail order only and I don't feel like waiting for it.

Stopped by Circuit City today and found a kit made by RCA for $35. (Didn't know RCA still exists) Pretty much like the one I had. Hard shell case with 5 adapter plugs, the transformer has a 50W/1600W selector switch and takes a 3 prong grounded plug, so that's what I got. Opearational test next week but I'm sure it'd work. Thanks guys for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kit.jpg‎  

However.

Even though most laptops (and many other chargers) will run on 220-240 volts if the say that on the appliance / charger, but electric clocks lose 10 minutes per hour running on 50 cycles instead of 60, even with a transformer!

Gets you an extra 10 minutes from clock-watching chicas, but other then that it's a problem!

If anyone wants a REAL good deal on 3 or 4 cheap WalMart clocks I brought down once, I've got some!

David

Hojo is correct, most electronics today are sold for a world market and only need an adapter, (check the label as Hojo said) even my Vonage box is dual voltage, but I know some Vonage boxes are not, so again check the label.

Smile It's all in the electronics label

The picture shown in my first post "does not" include a transformer.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, you must use it with electronics that have labels that say:

100-240V 50/60Hz.

Most cell phones, digital cameras, and laptops are designed to be used in most countries without the need for a transformer while globe trotting.

The labels are on all electronics devices and are on the power supply for your cell phone cammera, and laptop. This is not a free lunch because we paid for it. Sony, Toshiba, and Ericson damn well made sure the whole market did. These electronics gadgets only need a physical interface to let you plug the US 2 prong plug into the Argentina 3 prong plug (pictured in my first post - "AC Adapter.jpg").

I have included a picture of the label on my camera and my cell phone.

WARNING:

Again I'll say, if the label only says 110V 60Hz, don't plug it into the outlet here in Argentina. You will need a transformer. That is the big bulky thing El Aleman mentions below.

If you want to make sure you can call the tech support number for your electronics gadget. I'm sure you local Best Buy, Circuit City and Good Guys sale man can answer this question also.

My laptop, cell phone and cammera have been pluged in all night here in Buenos Aires, and everyting works fine. I bought all these toys in the USA.

Pop till you drop,

hojo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cell phone charger label.jpg‎   Camera Label.jpg‎  

>>> Warning <<<

Here comes a warning from the board's electrical engineer:

I sincerely doubt that the thing shown on the pictures contains ANY transformer, and if, only an extremely small one that might accomodate a cell phone charger or similar small thing.

Most likely, the item is just a plugging adapter from the standard Argentine 3 prong socket to a variety of other plugs: U. S. European 2 prong, etc. It may contain a Diode that reduces POWER (not Voltage! Into half when used with resistive loads like light bulbs. On a computer power supply, or a stereo, or any charger, it will likely create smoke signals.

A real transformer is a bulky, heavy thing. It will weight something like a pound per 100 Watts of power it can handle. A bit less for big ones.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Not even for 9 pesos.

El Alemán

=============================================

Hi El Aleman,

Thanks for point out the difference between an "adaptor" and a "transformer".

An "adaptor" is a physical device that changes the configuration of the actual plug.

A "transformer" is an electronic device that changes the voltage and/or the frequency of electrical power.

Some transformers are also designed to output the transformed electrical power to a different style socket than the one that it is plugged into.

Thanks,

Jackson

Lightbulb 9 Pesos for Unites States AC Adapter

I found this United States adapter in a small mom and pop electronics store near Florida and Cordoba.

This works great with most US electronics such as laptops, cell phones and digital camera with international power supplys that say the following on the label: 100-240V 50/60Hz.

If the label on your US electonics only says 110V 60Hz, you will need a transformer as mentioned below.

The label on the Buenos Aires clock in my apartment says it is 220V-230V 50Hz here in BA, what ever that means.

The attached pictures show the adapter I bought and the Buenos Aires electrical outlet in my apartment.

Pop till you drop,

Hojo

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC Adapter.jpg‎   Buenos Aires Outlet.jpg‎  

Thanks very much Andres. Sorry for not discovering the earlier posts. I did a search on "Vonage". But did not think about the fact that the question might have come up in other contexts.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres
    This question is so often asked that it should be added to a FAQ list.

On Parana St. Between Bartolomé Mitre St. And Corrientes Ave. (a 300-meter long commercial zone) you will find no less that 20 stores devotes to audio / video, electronics, lightning and such.

<snip>

Hope this helps,

Andres.

Posting Limitations